90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a RK 2001 with some enhancements like:
SE CAM 203
Open Air Filter
Open Exhaust 1 1/4 with Thunder Monsters
True Dual By Bassani
Lowered rear ( 1" by TJProducts)
Stage II ECU ( for the 6200 rpm and the SE203)
Power Commander III usb

It runs fine ( i plan to do a full dyno tuning shortly)

I think i can add some 15 to 20 ponies by upgrading to 95" and using 22661-99A 1550 High Compression Cast Pistons....

First question: the cost is about 400 usd, so not that much, but will i feel it ?
Second question: should i do it myself ? I am not scared to use wrenches etc, but is it worth to do it myself and do I need some special tools ? I understood that i have to take off the cylinder heads, undo all the bolts, replace all gaskets and respect the rebolting sequence with a specific torquing. Again: do it or not ?

Please advice, especially guys like HDWrench...

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It depends where you live.
In some climates and with some fuel, even a 95" with flat tops, stock heads and a 203 may have pinging issues from time to time, especially on a MM bike. Could be a non issue with a really good tuner.
Adding high compression pistons doesn't sound like too good an idea.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To HIPPO and friends

Ok, i could use the 22851-99A pistons ( Standard Big Bore Size -Big-Bore Flat-Top Cast Pistons Kit ) instead. There was a warning in the description: not to use if exceeding 6200 RPM .

Why not use the 22661 ?

The tuner is considered as one of the best in The Netherlands. He prefers RAPID BIKE but he has a very good reputation on the powercommander. He even added 5 HP to a special made map ( by DYNOJET EUROPE ).

Thanks for the support guys

Patrick

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think that 10.25:1 compression is a little to high for the 203 cams. Personally I would go with the high comp forged pistons which I believe are about 9.6:1 OR the easy way is use the cast flat tops and a .030 thick Cometic head gasket, that should get you around 9.6 to 9.7. Get in there and do it yourself man. Take the shop your jugs and get them bored, honed, rings sized and installed into the cylinder. The rest is just putting back together what you took apart. Pay close attention to the torqueing sequence and if you use the Cometic gaskets, you must use there torqueing procedure. Have fun, it's not that hard!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Big Bore Kit w/211 ?? / Road King

I'm looking to do the samething on my 05 RK w/EFI. Currently I have V&H True Duals and slip-ons along with SE Air Cleaner and PC III USB.
Dealer recommended:
SE Performance Heads
Flat Top Pistons
SE211 Cams.

I have concerns about the 211 cams being in my bagger. However, I'm told the 203s are not worth loading in the bike. Like "Pedege's" e-mail I'm not looking to get too crazy. Looking to give it good kick and still enjoyable to ride.

Does anyone see issues with this set-up ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Re#7, for a build with dealer parts I don't see a problem with it, in particular if you can talk them into .030" head gaskets. The SEp heads have much smaller chambers then stock heads. As long as you realize you get what you get, but still IMO it is the best combination for a 95 with all dealer parts.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
pedege said:
Why not use the 22661 ?
Because high compression coupled with the 203's early closing cam events leads to (1) very high cylinder cranking pressure and (2) the possibility of "pinging".

You can deal with (1) by adding compression releases and a high output starter but (2) will ruin your motor in short order.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Re#5
You will never turn that thing past 6000 with stock heads and a 203 except by accident anyway, because there is no point to it.
If you really want a quick bike look into head work and consider a different cam.
Or just settle for a lower CR 95" kit that still would show gains over what you have now if not 15 HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts