V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I've built a bike, I've modded my Honda Shadow Phantom to a bobber which I love but being an old dude, 61, I have a strong yearning for a chopper.
I bought a 2005 Santee frame and a fork with front wheel to start my build. I just installed the bearing cups and was trying to figure out how to separate the triple tree to install it. i finally figured out that the front bolt was a set screw so I got the lower plug removed now but I can't figure out how to split the triple tree. There is no top stem nut, I don't know if the stem screws into the top of the triple tree and I don't want to screw something up. Anybody familiar with this style? Thanks!
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Gas
Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
maybe remove the top support and that will free it up so you can slide new bearings on it..and leave the bottom support there ...is that a stripped fastener/bolt at the arrow to release the mid tube?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe remove the top support and that will free it up so you can slide new bearings on it..and leave the bottom support there ...is that a stripped fastener/bolt at the arrow to release the mid tube?
There is a threaded cap there, it threads onto the bottom of the mid tube inside the lower support, I unscrewed that and removed it but I don't see how to get the mid tube out, I would have thought it dropped down. Now I'm thinking maybe I unscrew the top caps on the forks and then the top support lifts off with the mid tube. Here is a pic of the bottom of the center plug (removed), the bottom of the mid tube (pic from above with the center plug removed) and the top of the mid tube.
Sculpture Fish Seafood Snout Metal
Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle part

Bicycle part Household hardware Gas Engineering Tool

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably should have removed the fork tubes to start with, just to make the whole thing easier to work with.
Actually I bought it as a unit with the forks, front wheel, tire and brake caliper from a place down in Milwaukee so I haven't disassembled it yet. I wanted to study it first though. I am planning to disassemble and replace the seals, fluid etc.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You purchased a fork with what is possibly the worse triple trees ever made. On these trees, the stem is threaded into the top tree and secured on the bottom with a a gland nut. The lower tree has a pinch bolt for each tube, the top tree is secured to the tubes via that stupid looking pointed things.

Remove the pointed things, loosen every visible bolt, remove the tubes, separate the trees and then throw them in the trash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol that figures, i will likely do that. Can i use the forks and replace the triple trees

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't necessarily like the pointy things on top but I figured I could always mod it. I'll probably replace the triple tree, I need to do a lot more reading on this first. I bought it without investigating, which I normally don't do, but the price for the rear spoked wheel, caliper, 200 tire with excellent tread, front fork assembly with front spoked wheel and tire with excellent tread, front fender and caliper was offered to me for $800 so I went back the next day after checking prices on just the rear wheel and bought it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts