V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info for a friend on any recommended builders/tuners in Southwestern NY/NW PA area. Any area south of Buffalo, east of Erie PA, west of Elmira or on or near the SouthWestern state line of NY & the Northwest line of PA....
Dont know if anyone here knows anyone there, but thought i'd try....
Thanks all.....

·
Banned
871 Posts
BadTwin said:
Looking for info for a friend on any recommended builders/tuners in Southwestern NY/NW PA area. Any area south of Buffalo, east of Erie PA, west of Elmira or on or near the SouthWestern state line of NY & the Northwest line of PA....
Dont know if anyone here knows anyone there, but thought i'd try....
Thanks all.....
I don't know of any south of Buffalo, but check out this link to the Dynojet tuning centers in NY.

http://www.dynojet.com/maps/bikedynos/ny.htm

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks brother, but they are in Road Island...:yikes:

·
Banned
871 Posts
ditto said:
www.johnsonenginetechnology.com
He has built 3 different motors for me. Can't say enough about how good a job they do.
Yes Ditto, I've heard that they do good work. But, the last time I checked, Rhode Island isn't located in southwestern NY state. ;)

Badtwin, I've heard of a shop near Batavia that did good work. Can't remember the name, though. It might be worth your while to take a short trip up to North Tonawanda. American H-D on Erie Ave. is an excellent shop... far better than Buffalo H-D. I've never heard anything bad about American. Sometimes you have to travel a few miles to find a good shop, but it's worth it in the end. I have to go about 2.5 hours west to get to a shop that actually knows how to use a dyno. That's not really very far away for someone who rides more than that every day. :D

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone hear anything about Gawanda HD? They supposedly have a good rep for quality work and engine build's..
I will check out the above leads and forward them to my friend as applicable.
Thanks all....

·
Banned
871 Posts
BadTwin said:
Anyone hear anything about Gawanda HD? They supposedly have a good rep for quality work and engine build's..
I will check out the above leads and forward them to my friend as applicable.
Thanks all....
I haven't heard anything bad about Gowanda H-D. They might be worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Todd. What parts do you hail from up there?
Have you ever been to Gowanda HD? It's a pretty nice shop. They
have a bunch of events out there every year. I've been out there
during my visits back north and thought it was a pretty unique dealership.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The shop that did my build is Flaming Pig Cycle in Roch. where I live. Talk to Gene as he answers the phone. Paul is the mechanic and owner. He is a little eccentric shall we say but the dude builds a kick ass motor. I can't say enoug good things about the way mine runs. Paul knows his **** and has been building since the early 70's. keepem sharp

·
Banned
871 Posts
BadTwin said:
Thanks Todd. What parts do you hail from up there?
Have you ever been to Gowanda HD? It's a pretty nice shop. They
have a bunch of events out there every year. I've been out there
during my visits back north and thought it was a pretty unique dealership.
Never been to Gowanda HD, but have heard some of my brothers back home talking about them.

I grew up in Western NY, just outside of Lockport. But, after spending time in Iceland, Saudi, Texas, and Kansas (courtesy of the USAF), I'm now back in NY but upstate this time, near Plattsburgh.

Give me the four seasons over the year-round heat any day! I didn't think it was possible, but when I lived in Texas, I learned that it CAN be too hot to ride! =devil=

·
Banned
871 Posts
ditto said:
Yes, but well worth the trip.
I'm sure that's true, but I'm also sure there are a few good tuners much closer to Buffalo. :) Once you figure in the cost of gas and thruway tolls, that dyno run will end up costing a couple hundred dollars. Personally, I don't mind driving a couple hours away, but further than that wouldn't be worth it, unless I just happened to be out that way. :thanks:

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where the heck is Corfu? :blink:

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks man....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Builders and tuners in western New York

I personally live in this area myself,and can tell you from firsthand experience that American Harley-Davidson in North Tonawanda NY can do extensive engine building and tuning. They do have an in-house machinist, who also is an active drag racer and seems to understand what makes fast engines. They also do dino tuning as one other services, and their technicians have experience in various Harley engine types. In other words they are able to handle pan heads, shovel heads, evolution, as well as twin cam engines. I know very well of Gowanda Harley-Davidson, but unfortunately have had no firsthand experience with their service department. Those that I know of who done business with them find their reputation to be superb. They are family-run business and have been for at least two generations. The also own and operate Jamestown Harley-Davidson which may be closer to you. In the end though, I believe for what you're looking for in this area, American Harley-Davidson would better fit the bill for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts