V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Is installation of this pretty much a no-brainer??? I installed a Big Sucker when I had my Sporty. Is it going to be pretty much the same procdure?? The only thing I am wondering about is the breather plugs.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Monstermile said:
Is installation of this pretty much a no-brainer??? I installed a Big Sucker when I had my Sporty. Is it going to be pretty much the same procdure?? The only thing I am wondering about is the breather plugs.
Yes it is simple. Read the instructions that are attached in post #4 of this thread. It is very very simple. With some torques, allen, standard and metric (for the breather bolts, 11mm IIRC) sockets, Blue loctite and a in/lbs torque wrench you can get the job done in less then a half hour.

Don't worry about it. Just take your time and don't skip any steps in the instructions and you should be fine. Helps to read them over a couple times before starting to make sure you understand everything. Good Luck...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tamayo said:
Will this kit fit a 96 Softail (FXSTC)?
Nope... As I stated in the first post, according to HD's web site it will fit '01-later EFI Softails, (except '05 FLSTFI 15th Anniversary), '02-later EFI Touring and '04-later EFI Dyna models. Does not fit '06 FLHTCUSE models with stock A/C cover.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts

If you go with the nostalgic round cover and you don't like how it sticks out into your leg, you can ditch the spacer/gasket if you cut a notch in it. I used a dremel cutting wheel and a steady hand. I like the cover a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Have these back plates (chrome or otherwise) been tried and used successfully on 06 Touring models?? I know Arlen Ness had to change their BS back plate for the 06 models. Just want to make sure before ordering.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Monstermile said:
Have these back plates (chrome or otherwise) been tried and used successfully on 06 Touring models?? I know Arlen Ness had to change their BS back plate for the 06 models. Just want to make sure before ordering.
The exception is 99-01 touring bikes... What year is your bike? Its not a 99, 00, or 01 bike... its an '06. So it will work fine...

·
Registered
411 Posts
blueballs said:
Order placed; went real smoothly until i went to fox and ordered the filter. Their search engine calls for P/N HD-1499,(06 street bob) not HD-0800. I ordered the 0800 one cause it was almost 20 bucks cheaper. I only hope it works and now i'm curious what the difference is between the two to make a 20 dollar difference
Any one have any input??

Again- thanks for the hook up
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this filter on Ebay and it is and was wondering if I could use this instead of the Stage 1 air cleaner kit HD sells? I know that the HD kit eliminates the stock back plate but could I leave it off with the K&N HD-1499 or would it run as well with the OEM back plate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-H...spagenameZWDVW

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HD-1499

BTW I did call K&N tech support and asked them if the 1499 air filter was high flow and they told me yes. Next question was could I use it in place of the round K&N Air filter that HD sells you in there stage one kit

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

K&N replied that there would be no problem. The only the think that I could think that would be different between the two is that the HD stage 1 kit emiminates the stock air cleaner back plate.

I do not know how much of a difference there would be with the stock backplate or I always could add a few extra holes in it. Afterall you would never see them.

Plus you would save $50 using the HD-1499 over the HD stage 1 kit?

Any feedback appreciated?

BTW I'm just planning to get the K&N 1499 and use the PCIII with mo stock mufflers , I believe that they have been slightly modified as they do have a nice sound to them but nit as quiet as the stock ones I have heard.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
JjR said:
I saw this filter on Ebay and it is and was wondering if I could use this instead of the Stage 1 air cleaner kit HD sells? I know that the HD kit eliminates the stock back plate but could I leave it off with the K&N HD-1499 or would it run as well with the OEM back plate?
Yes it will run ok, but it will not be as good as the HD A/C.

I think your a little confused on what the HD kit is/does. The stock A/C has a small opening in its back plate to allow air in. Not very good, even with a high flow filter inside. It doesn't allow enough air in. Also, the back plate isn't designed to direct the air into the engine. The HD Stage-1 kit comes with a metal back plate (the stock one is plastic and is prone to cracking) that is smoothed out to direct air into the engine bettre. It also does not enclose the filter in the football A/C cover so more air will get to the filter resulting in better performance.

JjR said:
BTW I did call K&N tech support and asked them if the 1499 air filter was high flow and they told me yes.
Yes, the 1499 is a high flow filter, but the stock A/C backplate etc etc are not designed for performance or to get the most air into the engine. See above.

JjR said:
Next question was could I use it in place of the round K&N Air filter that HD sells you in there stage one kit. K&N replied that there would be no problem.
They are wrong. You cannot use the 1499 in place of the air cleaner for the SE A/C kit. It will not fit the SE A/C backplate. The stock backplate is oval shaped, while the SE A/C backplate is circular. The 1499 is also oval (to fit the stock back plate), while the filter for the SE A/C is round to fit the SE A/C backplate. Also, HD doesn't sell a K&N air filter in their kits. Its a washable paper P.O.S.

JjR said:
Plus you would save $50 using the HD-1499 over the HD stage 1 kit?
Read the first post again. You can get the entire kit for about $80... Its probably the best bang for your buck mod you can do for your bike.

·
Registered
411 Posts
petrock said:
Yes it will run ok, but it will not be as good as the HD A/C.

I think your a little confused on what the HD kit is/does. The stock A/C has a small opening in its back plate to allow air in. Not very good, even with a high flow filter inside. It doesn't allow enough air in. Also, the back plate isn't designed to direct the air into the engine. The HD Stage-1 kit comes with a metal back plate (the stock one is plastic and is prone to cracking) that is smoothed out to direct air into the engine bettre. It also does not enclose the filter in the football A/C cover so more air will get to the filter resulting in better performance.

Yes, the 1499 is a high flow filter, but the stock A/C backplate etc etc are not designed for performance or to get the most air into the engine. See above.

They are wrong. You cannot use the 1499 in place of the air cleaner for the SE A/C kit. It will not fit the SE A/C backplate. The stock backplate is oval shaped, while the SE A/C backplate is circular. The 1499 is also oval (to fit the stock back plate), while the filter for the SE A/C is round to fit the SE A/C backplate. Also, HD doesn't sell a K&N air filter in their kits. Its a washable paper P.O.S.

Read the first post again. You can get the entire kit for about $80... Its probably the best bang for your buck mod you can do for your bike.

Thanks for the info! But I just went to the fox site and looked up the price on the air filter and its $50.95 plus shipping http://www.fox-performance.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=fox&Product_Code=HD-0800
, it seems that the price has went up (perhaps they read this post) so now its not really a deal?

Now there is only about a $10 difference if even that after I figure in the shipping. If I order the Stage 1 AC from Chicago HD ??? Any other cheap sites for the HD-0800? I did look for awhile online and could find none.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
JjR said:
Any other cheap sites for the HD-0800? I did look for awhile online and could find none.
You didn't look that hard... read this entire post and you'll have your answer...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
honus402 said:
Why not use a Big Sucker? It comes with the HD-800 element and all the hardware.

That is not a K&N filter. It is a K&N style filter. I personally don't have alot of faith in the BS filter. I have heard several cases of the seal breaking down on them.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've busted two of these stupid covers...the weld that holds the bolt in had busted twice...no more, getting my money back.

JamieWG said:

If you go with the nostalgic round cover and you don't like how it sticks out into your leg, you can ditch the spacer/gasket if you cut a notch in it. I used a dremel cutting wheel and a steady hand. I like the cover a lot better now.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
I've busted two of these stupid covers...the weld that holds the bolt in had busted twice...no more, getting my money back.
Umm.. what weld are you having probs with? On mine, there is no weld.. just a hole in the cover. The bolt screws into the air filter. Mines been on there for about 4000 miles now.. no probs yet. Like I said, I cut a notch in mine so I could do away with the spacer. I could see the spacer putting leverage on the nut welded to the air filter though...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Monstermile:
K&N and Airaid are the two suppliers of the Big Sucker HD-800 Element. Mine came with a K&N but I've seen the Airaid and it's built very well also. K&N also admits they sell the filter to Ness. Check the following email I received from K&N when I asked for a spare element for my Big Sucker.

"Thank you for your interest in K&N products. Look at this http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=hd-0800 Unfortunately we do not have filters by application for any of the Ness assemblies. K&N does make some for Ness exclusively and these ones can only be purchased thru Ness and Ness distributors.
Thank you,
K&N Technical Support
1-800-858-3333"

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I've read this several times, maybe I'm a little slow, but could someone clarify if the poorman's SE kit will bolt on to an '01 carbed Electra Glide? Thanks.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
dmac122 said:
I've read this several times, maybe I'm a little slow, but could someone clarify if the poorman's SE kit will bolt on to an '01 carbed Electra Glide? Thanks.
Did you read the first post? It says:
petrock said:
Below is the parts list for the Screamin' Eagle Stage I Kit for EFI Models (part #29773-02B). According to HD's web site it will fit '01-later EFI Softails, (except '05 FLSTFI 15th Anniversary), '02-later EFI Touring and '04-later EFI Dyna models. Does not fit '06 FLHTCUSE models with stock A/C cover.

So, No. It will not work on your Carb'd bike. There is probably another kit for Carb'd bikes, but it would have a different parts list.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I went to the dealer today and the parts guy opened a SE air cleaner kit for the carbed bikes. The part #s listed will work on the carbed bikes as well. I don't know how you added up the prices, because when I priced them, I got $60 for the parts alone, another $40- $50 for a filter, it was cheaper to get a Ness Big Sucker. It seemed like a good idea, but just didn't add up.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts