V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Viking
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice, and was hoping that some of you guys can help me out.:unsure:

I am currently collecting all the parts for my planned build( well not so planned) as it changes from week to week. Please let me explain what I mean……..

It was my original intention to upgrade from stock to 95” as I wanted a little bit more GOooo from my baby which is by the way a 2003 wide glide stage 1 with SE11 exhaust. I plan to do this work myself but all feedback is that if I’m in there I should change the cams……ok I say no problem I’ll do that. Then its…….. well if you’re changing the cams, you might as well go for gears……..ok I say no problem I’ll do that. Then its well if……and it goes on and on. I would really like to do a half decent upgrade on my bike but the cost from my original plan is getting Wwwwwwaaaayyy out of hand. So here it is, my build using the parts that I have to date:-

Bike FXDWG with Stage 1 and SE 11 Exhaust.

SE flat top pistons
SE ignition kit
SE 44mm CV Carb

Bore the potts to match pistons

Purchase (still looking for the best price) Andrews 37G cam kit

Cometic gasket kit 0.30.

I was going to have heads from Dewey but costs for me were getting out of hand. It’s not the cost of the heads or any item for that matter from the USA it’s the freeking duty and tax that I have to pay on them in the UK. Here’s an example…… purchased SE flat top pistons and ignition kit from Adventure Harley Davidson great price $340, then when it hits the UK I have to pay an extra $96…………if you work those numbers on a set of Dewey’s heads $950 for the heads + $250 postage then the import tax of approx another $340. So with tax and postage your talking $600.

Although I would like to just go in once I’m afraid I cant afford to, so it’s going to be a bit at a time kind of build.

The question is will the build using the parts that I have including the Andrews cams(when I get them) be ok

So all advice would be appreciated

PS still got a couple of month before the weather gets half decent

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You can have a very nice riding bike with what you have and stock heads + ,030" gaskets, except that in that case I would not use the 37's.

If you use the 21's you would pretty much have the equivalent of the Joe Minton build, and if you want a bit more on top at the expense of just very little on the bottom then use the 26's.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Or just use the 37 and have the otherwise stock heads flycut to where they end up with a 83 or 82 cc chamber.
This works very well and can be done locally anywhere for a few $$, as far as the heads is concerned you virtually get 90% of the benefit for 10% of the cost.

·
The Viking
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[COLOR="Silver" said:
HIPPO]Or just use the 37 and have the otherwise stock heads flycut to where they end up with a 83 or 82 cc chamber.
This works very well and can be done locally anywhere for a few $$, as far as the heads is concerned you virtually get 90% of the benefit for 10% of the cost.

Hi Hippo please explain don't understand :unsure:

·
The Viking
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hippo,

Do you mean shaving material off the head base to raise compression? and if so how much?

Mickyo

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Good idea Hippo! That would work great for the $ difference! Especially in that Dyna, he'll have some GOoo as he called it!

Mickeyo, Try Hdwrench for the cams, his prices are very competitive with the very cheapest but you get so much for that! He'll help you get those cams to UK and make sure you have a tele # you can get any help you need any time you need it directly from him! Not some phone bank with some customer service rep reading the FAQ's...!

·
The Viking
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh forgot to mention my riding style and what I want from this build.

I would like low to mid range HP/Torque.
I ride mainly solo, but occasionally with my good wife who informs me that she plans to ride with me alot more this year(I wonder what she means by that^rolleyez^ )

Mickyo

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hi Hippo please explain don't understand
You just remove some material from the deck surface of each head so as to end up with a combustion chamber volume as indicated. It can be done on a lathe with the proper fixture or on any mill.

On this type of build the great majority of the gain from reworked heads, in particular thru the low and midrange, comes from this one simple operation.

Probably would use adjustable pushrods if doing this.

·
The Viking
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought that is what you meant Hippo.

SEDELUXE05.

already bought the pistons although if the price was right from HDWRENCH might be able to sell my 95" on ebay.............

So will try HDWRECH and see what the figures are

Thanks for the input you guys.:thanks:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts