V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my build was finally completed today. I Must admit that my heart began to speed up a little as we poured the fluids in and double checked everything. Even though I had a wrench do it, I was there "assisting" every step of the way. What a feeling of accomplishmant and satisfaction when she fired right right off! The bike sounds amazing! I am elated! Can you tell?
Unfortunately, I can't ride her yet cuz of weather, very wet(flooding everywhere) and very cold here. She'll get trailered to the tuner next week to setup the new bored throttle body and a dyno break-in and custom map. Then, I'll eventually get to ride her. Once the TB and map are setup, I won't care if it's wet or cold, you know I am gonna have to ride!!!
Anyhow, many thanks to all who graciously gave their time and expertise to help, advise and comment over the past several months, you know who you are!
Here's the final build, after alot of different plans and ideas over the past couple of years, this is the stuff that is actually running in my bike!

Big Boyz street ported heads
Andrews TW37b cams(chain)
SE Hi-Comp Forged Pistons Final comp ratio, 9.7:1
Cometic .040 head gaskets
Baisley 002 oil pump spring
PCIIIr
SE/AC(open)
Gerolamy 42mm bored Throttle Body and manifold (Magnetti-Marelli)
V&H ProPipe
OEM lifters
OEM pushrods
Polished grade 8 stainless bolts throughout

I think that's it, can't wait to give a seat of the pants report!!
Happy new Year to ALL!!!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I know the feeling. Just wait untill you actaully get to ride her. Talk about a hard-on! Congrats!

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Good job man?prty:

Nothing like pushing that button, when your done and it spins right up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I can't wait to get her on the road..

One thing I forgot, the SE clutch spring! Put this thing in and I (call me a pu$sy) can barely pull the clutch in. This will have to be addressed before the riding season goes into full swing. I am thinking VPC but am open to other options. What do you like and why?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
adlerx said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I can't wait to get her on the road..

One thing I forgot, the SE clutch spring! Put this thing in and I (call me a pu$sy) can barely pull the clutch in. This will have to be addressed before the riding season goes into full swing. I am thinking VPC but am open to other options. What do you like and why?
While installing the SE spring, I redid my clutch adjustment, and my cable, but I oiled the HE$$ out of the cable while, during, and after installing the spring I don't see it as an issue, but I adjust my clutch 3/4 to 1 full turn out, I like a lot of gray area so maybe I dont feel it as much?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
SE clutch spring...in 3 months you won't notice it. But, you will have trouble getting your arm through the left sleeve of your shirt. Your wife will want your other arm to look like your left arm, so you will have to put the SE brake handle on the right handle bar. :roflback:

Thorns (uses neutral at long stop lights, but my SE clutch has never slipped)

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks LAF and Thorns. Pretty sure I can get it loosened up a little, first, it was on the lift and the clutch cable was wrapped in the tie down strap so I am sure that stiffened it quite a bit. We'll lube it up well and get it properl;y adjusted before I actually ride it. Sure we'll get it loosened up quite enough to ride.
I am sure I'll have trouble with my OL wanting my right forearm to be popye arm just like the left. I'll keep my eye out for that SE brake handle!! ;)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
adlerx said:
Thanks LAF and Thorns. Pretty sure I can get it loosened up a little, first, it was on the lift and the clutch cable was wrapped in the tie down strap so I am sure that stiffened it quite a bit. We'll lube it up well and get it properl;y adjusted before I actually ride it. Sure we'll get it loosened up quite enough to ride.
I am sure I'll have trouble with my OL wanting my right forearm to be popye arm just like the left. I'll keep my eye out for that SE brake handle!! ;)
Just an add on, I re routed my clutch cable recently when I fit my new hand controls and the clutch pull tightened up dramatically. I went back to getting the cable as straight as possible across the bars and itcame back to normal.

Congrates on the build..........................be patient with your run in and stay within the 3000rpm for the first 100 or so miles............

Happy New Year....................Ozzie

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ozzie. I am gonna have my break-in done on the dyno so I am hoping I'll be able to get a little past the 3000 mark, but I'll take it pretty easy for the first couple hundred at least. In any event, I'll follow the instructions of the dyno guy doing the break-in. Wanna get it right and since I have decided to go this route, I'll do it exactly as perscribed by him.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Install the ramp assembly from the HD Easy Clutch kit with your SE spring and you should be about back to stock pull.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
genoway said:
Install the ramp assembly from the HD Easy Clutch kit with your SE spring and you should be about back to stock pull.
What's the part# for the Easy Clutch?
Thanks...
adx

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
congurlations ad with that se clutch your forearm will get a little bigger using it. but after a while you will not even notice it. did you change the gearing also.
My bike is an 01' so came stock with the 3:37, I am sure the clutch won't be that bad once I get the cable out from under the tie down, I'm not that worried about it. Plus I could use so extra arm strength!

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I used the white bros. easy clutch and it made a big difference on the clutch pull , and it was only 30.00 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
If you do the HD kit, you spend a little more money $15-20, and you only bring the lever effort back down to stock with the SE spring.

I have the white bros, ez-boy lite clutch with SE spring and the lever effort is about half of what the stock was even though I have more lockup on the clutch.

I know mega-glide tried the ezboy and didn't like the lever action. So maybe you won't either; but I know a few people who really like the ezboy clutch setup....I'm one of them.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip Seahag! If I get some kinda helper, I'll get the ezboy first(cheapest) and see how it goes. Remember, I may still just opt for the Popeye forearm....

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
adlerx said:
Thanks for the tip Seahag! If I get some kinda helper, I'll get the ezboy first(cheapest) and see how it goes. Remember, I may still just opt for the Popeye forearm....
About 8 years ago, I worked in a cast iron foundry. I was a "furnace charger" to start. My job was to pick up iron and steel and throw it into a wheel barrow for weighing up. I had to average about 700# every seven minutes, eight hours per day to keep up with the furnace operator and iron pourers. Grabbing all that metal, by hand, gave me popeye like forearms too...but with it came some carpal tunnel symptoms. Even the stock clutch bothered me if I got into some heavy traffic or after a long day of riding.

Since I put in the ezboy lite clutch, I have not had a single spasm in my forearms/wrists....even though I went with the heavier SE clutch spring.

Clay

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I have the White Bros. kit in my bike. I like it. It was an easy install too (most time was spent fuc#ing with the exhaust).

YB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts