V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there share their way to clean bugs off their leather jacket and/or chaps after a long day of riding.

I rode 170 miles the other day and was covered with dead bug guts head to toe. I have a leather FXRG black jacket and a cheap pair of leather chaps. I was too tired to clean them that night. What is the best way to clean dried up bugs off your leather's that are a few days old? Products? Methods?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,670 Posts
maybe brillo pad and clorox? or a car buffer?

have you actually tried some water with a drop of dishsoap and a rag?

·
Banned
1,670 Posts
in all seriousness, I think I would go to a leather shop before I would pay the premium for a harley approved cleaner

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
casaba said:
in all seriousness, I think I would go to a leather shop before I would pay the premium for a harley approved cleaner
Gas is expensive, and leather shops aren't on every corner, but if it keeps you warm at night.

W/ all the leather I've got, a bottle lasts me over 3 years.

Cavalier Leather Lotion is probably about the same stuff, but not cheap either.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
trackstar55 said:
Can anyone out there share their way to clean bugs off their leather jacket and/or chaps after a long day of riding.
My first thought when I read this was "WHY" would you want to? :dunno:

Guess I'm too much old school. Had a girl friend several years ago buy me a new jacket for Christmas....I just looked at her and said what am I supposed to do with this. Mine was well worn and had seen many, many miles and BUGS!! Had class, years of class. Have had that jacket for some 20 years now.

If you want to keep the bugs off the nice jacket buy yourself a levi jacket, cut the sleeves out and wear it over you leathers.

Think somebody mention saddle soap. That will work great or go down to the local saddle/tack shop and pick up some leather balm.

o~\o

·
Banned
1,670 Posts
I suppose if you spent 3 times the value for an actual HD jacket you may want an HD cleaner but I just dont believe much in buying a pig in a poke just because it had HD stamped on it was all the point I was trying to make....but it looks good on you judge smails

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
A real biker would either lick them off or leave them.:whistle:
Follow the instructions that came with the coat.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just heard about this the other day. It is called Doc Bailey leather care. Has anyone heard about it or tried it. I normally use soapy water with a wash cloth, then use leather treatment from HD. I am always open to other options. The item does not have to say "HD" on it for me to buy it. http://www.docbailey.com/

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
casaba said:
I suppose if you spent 3 times the value for an actual HD jacket you may want an HD cleaner but I just dont believe much in buying a pig in a poke just because it had HD stamped on it was all the point I was trying to make....but it looks good on you judge smails
Why thank you.
I've only been using the crap since '86.
Isn't a pig in a poke something of unknown quality?
Ah, what do I know. I actually get along w/ my dealer, so I must have some sort of flaw I'm sure will be pointed out shortly.
Heck, I haven't enjoyed myself this much over here since the last time there was a power outage over at the trailer court...

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MegaGlide said:
Why thank you.
I've only been using the crap since '86.
Isn't a pig in a poke something of unknown quality?
Ah, what do I know. I actually get along w/ my dealer, so I must have some sort of flaw I'm sure will be pointed out shortly.
Heck, I haven't enjoyed myself this much over here since the last time there was a power outage over at the trailer court...

I agree with MEGAGLIDE %100, stick with what works. I can always count on Mega to say what I cant seem to spit out on this forum. Thank you sir{salute(

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Warm water, a washcloth and liquid dishsoap - like Palmolive, etc. always works. Let your jacket dry thoroughly, then apply whatever leather balm/saddlesoap you like.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Occasionally spray paint it black and call it textured...

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
MegaGlide said:
The Harley leather care stuff works.
Saddle soap if it's bad.
That's what we use, the HD leather care -- lasts a long, long time even with all our leather. The stuff I'm referencing is a white liquid (not sure HD sells it now, haven't needed a refill in about 5 years) -- it's made by Pecard's I think.
Also, just used Doc Bailey's for the first time on a set of saddlebags, was very pleased with the result.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have found the best bug remover to be spit... not pig spit... my spit. Takes them buggers off chrome, paint, and leather. There are enzymes in your spit which break down organic material. Once removed, squirt a little ProtectAll on the chrome, paint, or leather... done deal. Spitting on my stuff also makes me feel like so much more than a DAUB.

Spit also works well as a personal lubricant without getting into fancy German chemistry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts