V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone gets the bug guts off their leathers?After a long highway ride,dried bug guts and brains are tough to remove without removing the finish on the leather.And I do use leather dressing to keep them soft and water repellent. Any proven methods???
THANKS and RIDE SAFE !!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
JMS said:
95 FXST, Me too, but some babes are squemish about bug guts, LOL.
JMS

If that's what it looks like, I'd wait till dark! :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I was leaving CT bike week and when I hit the highway I started to notice several bikes on the side. I thought, watsup wit tat, they just started to ride, why are they stopping? Then 2, 5, 10 more bikes WTF? Then it started, BUGS. By the millions. Some kind of mass orgy hatch. I laid my head down on my tank and peeked under my bars to try to hide. But within 2 mins all I could see was little white winged mashed BUGS on my googles. By the time I stopped, everything that faced the wind was completely covered by these little buggers. The front of my once black leather was white and green slime. Took everything off in my garage and left it there to jump in the shower. Didn't try to clean anything until the next morn. BIG MISTAKE. Bike took all day and I scrubbed my leather wit a plastic dish pad that was in my sink for 1/2 hr. Reg dish soap and a little water, worked fine. They should out law bugs for the safety of our children. Well that safety crap works for everything else.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I use Meguire's on my jacket and chaps. It's the same stuff that I use on the seat. Use a soft brissle brush to apply the creme. This not only gets the stuff into the creases, but it gets the bugs off too. Works good, but it's work!

G

·
70 mph in a driving rain works just fine.... Other than that, saddle soap from the local horsie tack store followed by some leather conditioner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bugs off of leather? Are we supposed to do that? I just leave 'em on. They fall off eventually. Although my leather vest still has bugs on it from 1977, when the vest was bought at the same time I bought my first panhead. Still have the vest, bugs and all...pan is gone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Warm soapy water. I treat them about once a year with a leather treatment to make sure the oils stay in and all. Oh, riding through a hard rain works pretty well too. <shrug>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts