V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've had a chance to post here since the "accident".

I was T-Boned by a stupid woman in a 4wd in downtown Auckland, NZ (my home town) on Oct 26th. She executed a U-turn while driving towards the city. She was on the inside of two lanes while waiting for some space. When she got the outside lane clear she hit the gas and U-turned straight into me coming the other way up the hill - smacked me side-on on the Harley - taking me out. (One witness, who I have spoken to since, was a retired woman traffic cop).

Right leg broken (3 places), broken ribs, 3 operations, 3 titanium rods now permanently inserted, total knee re-construction.....so far!

It's been 12 weeks now and I've had to shut down my business (was self-employed), cancelled a 2 week trip on the bike with our mates we do every February, with a probable further 2 to 3 months of bed rest before I am up and about. My Harley (which won "Best Custom Bike" at a show the weekend before the accident) won't be back on the road til at least March/April 06, with about $15k of damage. Thankfully we were both insured! She has also been charged with careless use of a vehicle causing injury. Even with excellent witnesses she is pleading not guilty.

And what did this woman do? She sent me store-bought flowers and a card in hospital - apologising for hurting me! Since then she has refused to return any calls to her cellphone or her business number even after being told exactly who was calling. Her last excuse (in October) was she had an all-day conference and wouldn't be able to call me back til after work. I have her full name, address, phone numbers, all of which have done me no real good. But I am tempted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can not sue here in NZ for such behaviour as we have a government-owned insurance company that was created to take care of all accident victims. These people are currently paying me about 15% of the average earnings before the accident as the business was less than a year old so doesn't have sufficient records to pay the standard 80%. Apparently when the 12 mths is up I can claim the balance!

Meanwhile our Xmas, holidays were ruined, our business, and any immediate plans for our future are all on hold. Such is life eh.

Please be careful out there people, and take nothing for granted!

Cheers,
Bruiser

PS, Thanks to the local Doctor who I'm told immediately closed down his practice and spent almost 2 hours attending to me while I lay unconscious wrapped around a wheel under a parked car after the accident. You sir, have restored my faith in human nature!

Before the accident:

After the accident:

http://bruiser.co.nz/images/uploads/DSCN0077-sm.jpg

http://bruiser.co.nz/images/uploads/DSCN0078-sm.jpg

http://bruiser.co.nz/images/uploads/DSCN0080-sm.jpg

http://bruiser.co.nz/images/uploads/DSCN0081-sm.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome back! Sounds like one nasty fall, good to hear you are ok.

The Doc sounds like one hell of a man!

Take care,
Baldman

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure was

and now that I'm able to walk around the house for half an hour a day I'm going to order that Dr a bottle of scotland's finest single malt!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good to hear you are on the mend! Best wishes on a full recovery! That's a hard hit, sorry you had to go through this.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
That sucks, Bruiser, but at least you're alive, thank God.

If NZ is anything like UK, that woman will have been told not to talk to you by a lawyer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Youre dead right Pete!

The second (and last) time I managed to talk with her she was quite blunt about the fact she'd lawyered up!

Lets just say I have spent probably hours while lying in bed both at hospital and home recovering, dreaming up a little come-uppance! I have had offers from several friends who are very pi$$ed at her arrogance, mostly along the lines of riding past her home and making her aware that she's not a very popular little person.

The cops where decent enough to discretely give me her phone numbers and address.

I won't lower myself but it is bloody tempting when trash like that behave in such an undignified manner.

·
1,336 Posts
Glad to hear you are healing from your ordeal. And thaks for posting your experience. Things happen quick and some times like in your case, there is not much you could do. I hope you make a full recovery, as well as your bike.

Nice Picture

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Hate to read about stuff like that Bruiser. Sounds like you have a good attitude, considering. Keep your head up man.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
hope ya got some goods meds, sounds like alot of pain goin on.:blink:
glad ya made it through.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Your story and pictures are really tragic. There's really no bright side to this whole thing but it sounds like you have a great attitude and support system to get you through it. Hang in there...

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Here is hoping you a speedy recovery also. Take care and get well soon.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Bruiser,

Glad ya made it okay an are on the mend. Your "before" photo shows some nice-looking country to ride in and hopefully, you'll be back doing that soon. All the best to you!

GC

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bruiser, glad you're still with us, man. keep us posted on how you are doing.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Bruiser,
Welcome back. Stay positive, take you're time healing and follow the Doctors orders. The road and you're bike will be waiting for you.
Respectfully
Chris

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your encouragement and support.

I truly believe things like this smash happen for a reason. Its how I get my head around the 24/7 pain, the frustration and dealing with all the legal and other formalities that you do after something like this.

For me I have learned some valuable lessons. For one thing I have become an expert on my body and the way it handles various painkillers and dosage.

As for the accident, a 4 day old $800 Shoei helmet saved my head, and my life. And this was in a 30 mph zone. I'd replaced the exisiting helmet not because it was worn or even a little marked up, but because it had been dropped from seat height one too many times for my liking.

Another lesson learned is that no matter how perceptive we may be, or how much skill, intuition and caution we may show on our rides, there is nothing that can save you from the sheer stupidity of another driver!

And most of you will know the next one. Every member of family, friend and associate who tolerated my "second childhood" dream of riding my beloved harley have become aghast when I mention the fact I cannot wait until the moment I'm back on board and cruising again. They are genuinely shocked that this accident hasn't somehow killed the passion, the desire and the need to have that sheer exhiliration just as soon as it is humanly possible.

The saying that "If I have to tell you, you simply wouldn't understand" is so so true!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Hey Bruiser,

Glad to hear you're gonna live. :yes:

Why does the b!tch have a lawyer if ya'll can't sue one another?

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
944 Posts
Glad to hear your up and around..

Her attitude?? Sounds like most women of the NEW millenium I see..

Karma will see that she gets hers.. Of course maybe your friends can help that along some??

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
wyodude said:
Why does the 'Lady' have a lawyer if ya'll can't sue one another?
To deal with the possible criminal charges, my friend.

If she gets the full monte, she could be going down here.

Just in passing, NZ is a beautiful country. My son worked in North Island for a couple years, made some good friends.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wyodude said:
Hey Bruiser,

Why does the b!tch have a lawyer if ya'll can't sue one another?

regards,

wyo
She is facing a charge of careless use of a motor vehicle causing injury laid by the police. Naturally she has been to court once on this charge and through her lawyer she got a stand-down for a month, and just to pi$$ me off she pleaded not guilty.

When I found out that news I instantly decided to front up to her hearing in February with a bunch of photos and a letter from my accountant who estimates this accident has cost me in excess of $35,000 in damages and lost earnings. This does not include the damage to the bike which thankfully was insured!

I'll give her @!$%@#$%@$#% Not guilty..GGRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
BruiserNZ said:
She is facing a charge of careless use of a motor vehicle causing injury laid by the police. .........................

Not guilty..GGRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Well, given the circumstances, I would think she is gonna suffer more by doing that - not least by paying lawyers' fees in addition to the dim view that the judge is gonna take when it comes to sentencing.

So as long as she gets a guilty verdict, I would think she has done herself no favors here. She would have done better to plead it and throw herself on the mercy............

Qualified lawyers will no doubt disagree :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts