V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of Buddy's and I are going to run the full length and back third week of Sept. At a semi-leisurely pace to check out the sights what are we looking at time wise to make the run from Cherokee to the northern end of Skyline Drive? We're still debating running it again back south or taking a alternate route...any suggestions?

·
Wanderer
448 Posts
I can tell you the Skyline portion took me about 5 hours with a break at mid point to negotiate. It gets a little much after awhile. Will be doing BRP soon myself. Have fun man.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I did the BRP end to end and back again last summer leaving from Atlanta. Enjoyed the sights along the way , broke it up 2 days each way about 350 miles a day. I stayed in the Boone NC area , lots of choices on lodging , food . The southern end is much twistier and has some significant elevation changes

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nidan said:
I did the BRP end to end and back again last summer leaving from Atlanta. Enjoyed the sights along the way , broke it up 2 days each way about 350 miles a day. I stayed in the Boone NC area , lots of choices on lodging , food . The southern end is much twistier and has some significant elevation changes
I was hoping you would chime in, seen in another post you had made the trip. Did you do Skyline drive too? We've ridden Cherokee to Ashville and it was great, this time we're wanting to do the whole thing from south to north and back again. We need a day to get to Cherokee from Savannah and back...that leaves us 4 days to make the actual run, doable?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've done the BRP from end to end probably about 6 times over the past 10 years and at best I would anticipate taking a min of 2 days to cover it all in one direction. Even that is pushing it if you want to make fairly frequent stops to see things. Add bad weather to the mix and all bets are off. I don't even bother with Skyline drive anymore..too many tourists in cages and slower 35mph speed limit. Besides BRP has everything it has to offer and more in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
If you are going to do Skyline, do it during the week. Weekends, especially in late September and early October are crowded, mostly in the top half. Traffic was not too bad today and the parking lots at most of the overlooks had spaces available. I did not see any deer or bears today, which will stop traffic as everyone tries to get a picture.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
road_king said:
I've done the BRP from end to end probably about 6 times over the past 10 years and at best I would anticipate taking a min of 2 days to cover it all in one direction. Even that is pushing it if you want to make fairly frequent stops to see things. Add bad weather to the mix and all bets are off. I don't even bother with Skyline drive anymore..too many tourists in cages and slower 35mph speed limit. Besides BRP has everything it has to offer and more in my opinion.
Plus the BRP is free!

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Due to time constraints and some of the comments we're thinking of forgoing Skyline Drive, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like a day up and back with 4 days to transverse the Parkway...we're stoked!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I am gonna be in that neck of the woods, but a week later. 4200 miles in 16 days for me. I'm looking to hit part of the BWP and hopefully the tail of the dragon. If your plans run on the 23rd-25th let me know.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually we will be on the BRP during that time frame. We'll be leaving Cherokee heading north on the 22nd, somewhere around Boone on the 23rd and hopefully at the north end of the BRP (Waynesboro, VA) on the 24th then reversing route southward.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Esterhaus said:
If you haven't been already, be sure to take a little time out for the motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley:

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com

It is WELL worth your while!
I'll second this. Dale operates (and owns) this museum. He is very talkative and knowledgable on these old motorcycles. Everything there runs and he'll start some of them up for you. He even rode an old Crocker (worth about $200,000) down the isle and came to a screeching halt

This is a shot of Dale's shop there in the museum.

My favorite motorcycles are BMW's and Harleys. This is a picture of me there on the Harley opposed twin made in the 1940's. It was basically a copy of a BMW. I was talking with Dale about it, I recall it was #7 made. I about fell over when Dale said "go ahead and ride it around the parking lot Rick!"

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am fortunate enough to spend my Summers three miles off the Parkway just South of the NC/Va. border. If you need any assistance for a breakdown, I have a trailer and decent tools in my garage. Email me for a cell number.

The Parkway is a beautiful ride, the NC section is curvy but not extreme and the vistas are breathtaking. Here is a good site....................

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/highlights.htm

and www.stationsinn.com

Enjoy and stay safe,
EZ

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I just did this drive last week.

I started in Knoxville and went through the Smoky Mountain National Park as well. I overnighted in Boone, NC and Roanoke, VA, then up through Pennsylvania after I got off Skyline Drive.

There's a nice book you can get off Amazon called "Lonely Planet Road Trip - Blue Ridge Parkway". It's cheap, and has some decent information in it.

I don't think I'd make the drive back on the same road. When I got to the end of skyline drive, I'd had enough of 35-45 mph. It was great for most of the trip, I set the cruise control on my Ultra, turned up the radio, and meandered along for three days.

Go during the week, it was much more crowded on saturday than thursday and friday while I was travelling.

Be careful about your gas. You have to get off the parkway and find gas. (Skyline drive has a gas station in the middle.)

There are a lot of deer out, and they aren't bothered by vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts