V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
.... It's a shame it's so labor intensive.
Tim
You can say that again. Makes you miss the ease of changing a chain.

My back is telling me to take a break tonight, but I did have the wife run out and get me a new belt. I still need to take the wheel and swingarm off. Maybe I will just do that tonight and then I can put the new belt "on". Last time I didn't take the swingarm off and just "fished" it through per the manual. That was not easy.

rkc

·
Registered
520 Posts
I broke mine this weekend too lol. I know why mine broke though. The original belt didn't like being clutched up for wheelies on the Fxr. I am thinking about converting to chain to solve this issue.

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
You can say that again. Makes you miss the ease of changing a chain.

My back is telling me to take a break tonight, but I did have the wife run out and get me a new belt. I still need to take the wheel and swingarm off. Maybe I will just do that tonight and then I can put the new belt "on". Last time I didn't take the swingarm off and just "fished" it through per the manual. That was not easy.

rkc
You shouldn't have to pull the swingarm off. We've left the swingarm in place and just pulled the rubber mount on the left side. Then with a little careful twisting you can slide the belt between the swingarm and the frame and put it in place. You only have to pull the axle for slack when putting the belt on the pulley. It's a little tricky but not hard. I don't think we removed or moved the pivot bolt, it's been a while since I have done one. I'm pretty sure we didn't move it.

Same for the FXR's.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You shouldn't have to pull the swingarm off. We've left the swingarm in place and just pulled the rubber mount on the left side. Then with a little careful twisting you can slide the belt between the swingarm and the frame and put it in place. Don't have to touch the axle or wheel either. It's a little tricky but not hard.

Same for the FXR's.
That's what I did last time and it really didn't want to go through without a lot of persuasion. Maybe I will try it again.

rkc

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was able to feed the belt through, not that bad this time. That's about all I did tonight.

Got good news that they moved up the biopsy on my back from next week too tomorrow!

rkc

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,758 Posts
I was able to feed the belt through, not that bad this time. That's about all I did tonight.

Got good news that they moved up the biopsy on my back from next week too tomorrow!

rkc
That's great on both parts!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I believes should be changed, as a maintenance item. Though I been saying for over 5 years some winter I am going to do mine, hope I do it before it breaks.

There are places in this country without cell coverage, and there are times when there is no one to call. Not to mention not getting where you are going on time, work, parole meeting, kids ball game, last call, ect.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Harleys are known for being good to work on, this is one place Harley has dropped the ball. When they went to the new frame it would have been a good time to go to right hand drive.

Having a belt that can not be changed, detracts quite a bit from a touring bike.

·
Registered
15,770 Posts
Rechecked my manual. It says if you change the belt for any reason other than rock damage, to change the pulleys.

You should be good.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just finished the biopsy. Not a lot of fun. Need to hang out here for two hours. The wife asked them if I could work on the bike when I get home and they told her no :(

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd offer to help you get-r-done, but I'm a few thousand miles away.
Good luck though.

I'm overdue for a broken belt, especially the way I ride.

·
Registered
15,770 Posts
Hope the biopsy goes well. We'll keep you in our prayers.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
People are usually good to you when your bike is broken on the side of the road, I used a primary belt drive for 1 season, I met a lot of people while waiting for tools or a trailer. I broke 3 brand new kevlar belts one week, I guess 137hp was more than they could handle? It's all chains now

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I'm still on original belt...56K. Checked it and both sprockets over real good per service manual last winter during 107 build. I couldn't find a thing that warranted me changing it. I don't run 137hp but it's entire life has been about 90hp/100tq and I don't baby it. They are pretty tough and will last as long as you don't get a rock or something in there to cause a blemish.

Cole...good luck with test results...AND belt replacement!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
good luck with the medical stuff RKC. the bike will be there (yeah, no sh!t Sherlock...the belt's broke, DUH!!) when you're healthy enough to work on it again!

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
People are usually good to you when your bike is broken on the side of the road,...
Yes, there were many good people who offered help.

Unlike the guy who lived right near where we broke down. He slowed down on his ultra, only to pull into his driveway 50 feet from us.

Thanks for all the well wishes, I should get results next week. They are still looking at this being an infection.

I must admit, my back was pretty sore today from all the activity. I was hoping they were going to put me under, but they just did a local and some fenobarb(?) that didn't seem to do anything. Had to lay still on my stomach for an hour.

Hopefully I can get the bike together tomorrow night.

rkc

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes, there were many good people who offered help.

Unlike the guy who lived right near where we broke down. He slowed down on his V-Rod, only to pull into his driveway 50 feet from us.

Thanks for all the well wishes, I should get results next week. They are still looking at this being an infection.

I must admit, my back was pretty sore today from all the activity. I was hoping they were going to put me under, but they just did a local and some fenobarb(?) that didn't seem to do anything. Had to lay still on my stomach for an hour.

Hopefully I can get the bike together tomorrow night.

rkc
There.............fixed it for ya!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts