V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had a ton of pm's asking questions about my brakes so i thought i would make a post regarding them, and why i changed.

anytime you start putting big power on a heavey bike, getting stopped becomes and issue. premature wearing of rotors and pads, not to mention lack luster performance. HD's brakes were not designed for the kind of abuse a big motor will put on them (this i know from experience). some of the abuse is pilot oriented, but overall you go faster, and have to stop quicker. it is money well spent on the brakes, imho.

im running 4 pad calipers, 12.6 rotors and the ss brake lines on my 06 SEFB. the feel is completely diff and your confidence levels soar in your ability to get stopped at the next light. the pads are not readily available so keep a few in stock. i purchased everything from brackets, rotors and calipers from http://www.qtmi.com/street.html

anyway i hope this is of some help.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
if you dont mind me asking about how much did you spend on all of this? I would love to be able to stop quicker(almost went into an intersection last night but that was my fault for being stupid) Im just about out of money though

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Screamin00 said:
if you dont mind me asking about how much did you spend on all of this? I would love to be able to stop quicker(almost went into an intersection last night but that was my fault for being stupid) Im just about out of money though
Go to the link......cha ching....

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I checked into another outfit selling the Brembo's except they had a supposedly better rotor and it was $1800. If that doesn't scare you away the site is www.braketech.com

Ride Safe
-Randy-

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second the notion on better brakes are needed with more horsepower (or even a bone stock motor!).

It is the best money spent so far on my bike. With Brembos, the rotors and calipers both float (unlike PM's), so brake feel is extremely smooth and stopping distances are greatly shortened.
The brakes are also very quite. Definitely replace your stock brake lines with braided SS to get the most out of the Brembos.

As far as cost, I got mine for $1475 for both front and rear, and that included everything except the new brake lines.

Guys will go out and send 4 or 5 grand on the motor, but leave the brakes stock HD. In my opinion, that is asking for trouble!!

I posted a few pictures a couple of weeks ago in this section, but here is one again.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Screamin00 said:
You could always just do the front since that is where 80% of your stopping power comes from. This will save some money.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
yah im gonna have to save up eather way, is there a dual front rotor kit out there i think ive seen them on a cvo bike before

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya, you def dont have to do it all, or all at once. i wouldnt do the dual rotor and cal on mine, the stopping power of what i have now is incredible. then again, when you need to stop quick, its never quick enough...lol.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
OK, probably a dumb question - but here goes.....

I have stock rear and just chromed front brakes on my heritage along with SS lines. I find that the problem for me is not how much braking force I can put on the rotors - it's how much braking force the rotors can apply to the road.

In other words, my tires skid before anything else when doing a controlled "panic" stop. So, considering that the amount of rubber and contact surface is going to stay the same, how much difference should I really expect? The SS lines already made the brakes feel much crisper.

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the truth be told, the brembos on the rear are prob overkill, because the rear will break loose long before the front. i have a 200mm rear tire so my contact patch is alittle more than the standard tire. even still, it will break loose with little effort.

the ss brakelines are a great addition to the bike. it totally changes the feel and responsiveness of the brakes. small money and a big return.

i have crushed down on these front brembos a few times, the most recient coming off about 80mph in a full crash stop and had both ends of the bike chirping. now is there any scientific way to guage if they helped me that day? prob not, but i can tell you this, i'd be a statistic had my old brakes been in place. i ride hard so for me the investment was worth it. what good is having a big motor if your not going to grip it and rip it, occasionally...lol.

in the end winn, if you really wanted them, you could do just the front and run them for a while. either way, i believe you'd be all the better for it, imho.

my last 3 bikes have all been big HP/TQ bikes, and the brakes were changed on all three.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Although only on a measly 103"; I wanted better brakes, too. I tried a couple of Brembo equiped bikes and they were far superior to the stock HD stuff, but went with Lyndal rotors and pads in stock calipers for the weight savings. I feel they perform as well as the Brembos and remove a lot of unsprung weight...

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sharkey said:
Although only on a measly 103"; I wanted better brakes, too. I tried a couple of Brembo equiped bikes and they were far superior to the stock HD stuff, but went with Lyndal rotors and pads in stock calipers for the weight savings. I feel they perform as well as the Brembos and remove a lot of unsprung weight...
ive had them as well sharkey, good choice. a def improvement over the stock HD stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Stratus, thanks for the reply. I've got a brake upgrade on my list and don't doubt that they're great. I was just trying to get an idea of how much they helped because of what I experience now. I'm only running about 85/85 on my current build, but expect to be closer to 125-130 in a few months :) . I am definitely concerned about handling the extra juice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The thing that helps the Brembos is they have a 4-piston differential bore design. That allows the entire pad to bite evenly on the rotor. This gives you excellent brake feel in both the front and rear. So if you are on your 'A' game (and I hope you are when you are on 2 wheels) you will have a much better braking feel with the Brembos and won't be so quick to lock them up on the rear as you would with the stock HD's. I know PM's have the differential bore design also (and up to 6 piston calipers), but the design and materials used in the Brembo's give it a clear edge in braking feel. Anybody can design a motorcycle brake that will slam the rotor and wheel to a stop and slide the bike from here off into the sunset. But a brake system that can do this, and yet provide much increased brake feel is were you want to spend that $1500.

Brembo says 50' less stopping distance from 60-0 mph on a Road King. This is the difference between cussing out the jerk that just turned in front of you,
or smashing your sweet bike into his p.o.s. car and getting hurt badly, or KIA.

I already laid down the cash for the 50 feet less of 'OHHHH #@$%' distance, and have absolutely no regrets.

I ride an '04 BMW 1150RTP for the NCSHP on the crowded highways around Raleigh, NC and it has factory anti-lock Brembos.
That is simply the best braking system I have ever seen, and it has saved my tail many, many times.

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are expensive i know, but in the scheme of things.....not so.

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rgr that. if i had to choose just one, it would be the brakes first, then the motor. ive seen too many peeps go big on motors and neglect the thing that means the most....stopping. good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second that.

Brakes need to be one base ahead of horsepower.

My '94 is basically a stock EVO. Just basic bolt-ons: 42mm Mikuni, Dyna 2000, and V&H Long Shots. No internal mods at all, so maybe 65hp rearwheel.
So, I am definitely not screaming down the road with my skull on fire, but I sure do stop well enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This must be why the MOCO is offering them (Brembos) on some of the '08 touring models. Hope they are finally realizing that they don't have to do EVERYTHING in order to have a great bike. Looking forward to feedback from the '08 owners about these brakes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting that you post that, as I was going to inquire about the V-Rod Brembo option.
Anybody know anything about them or have feedback?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts