V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
The latest model H-D four piston calipers are made by Brembo. However these won't fit on the FXR's unless you upgrade your forks. In 2000 H-D brought out their first generation four piston caliper. The changed the bolt hole pattern so the earlier calipers won't fit onto the newer sliders. I assume you asked the question because you want to upgrade your FXR's braking system. This is a good idea. While H-D's earlier disk brakes were much better then the old drums they still were lacking in stopping power but I digress. You can purchase an adapter bracket which will allow you to use the generation 1 four piston H-D caliper on your FXR's. Storz has them and so do several other vendors. You can up grade to the Brembos but they use a larger rotor and the clearance on the rotor hole is not right either. But stopping power of the newer Brembos with their 11.75" rotor is clearly superior to the stopping power of the earlier generation 1 4 piston calipers. Send me a PM if you have any more questions on this changeover.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The latest model H-D four piston calipers are made by Brembo. However these won't fit on the FXR's unless you upgrade your forks. In 2000 H-D brought out their first generation four piston caliper. The changed the bolt hole pattern so the earlier calipers won't fit onto the newer sliders. I assume you asked the question because you want to upgrade your FXR's braking system. This is a good idea. While H-D's earlier disk brakes were much better then the old drums they still were lacking in stopping power but I digress. You can purchase an adapter bracket which will allow you to use the generation 1 four piston H-D caliper on your FXR's. Storz has them and so do several other vendors. You can up grade to the Brembos but they use a larger rotor and the clearance on the rotor hole is not right either. But stopping power of the newer Brembos with their 11.75" rotor is clearly superior to the stopping power of the earlier generation 1 4 piston calipers. Send me a PM if you have any more questions on this changeover.
Great info! PM sent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is good info, thanks for that....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I seem to remember somebody ran a test when the new harley four piston brembos came out, and they spanked several high dollar aftermarket calipers in braking performance.

I run them on my FXR too, they work!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You might talk to these folks. I know they make kits for various models including dressers, sportsters and Dyna's. Maybe they have something for an FXR.

I've got their Brembo kit on the front of my 2002 RoadGlide. Great setup. Installed way before HD came out with their Brembo setup.

http://www.qtmi.com/

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here's a pic of my FXR's front end of the left side 4 piston caliper upgrade. I just used my stock sliders and didn't bother to upgrade to 00+ retrofits. I had to make one off adapter brackets because I'm running 320mm EBC free floating rotors which have been obsolete for quite a while.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle tire

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just to clarify for the others, if you use 2000-later sliders, those four piston Nissin calipers bolt on, as they are stock to those sliders.

You can keep your existing sliders by adding those adapters (can be store bought, btw) to add the four piston Nissin's.

As for the Brembo's on my Duc, no go without making an adapter as the span is far too short on the Brembo mounting points. I haven't measured later Brembo's. From what I understand they have a larger span.

·
Registered
477 Posts
All my 4 piston conversions on FXR's was with cast alumimum wheels usually of the 9 spoke and 13 spoke variety common on Sportsters, FXR's and Dynas. I've never done this retro fit on a spoked wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a pic of my FXR's front end of the left side 4 piston caliper upgrade. I just used my stock sliders and didn't bother to upgrade to 00+ retrofits. I had to make one off adapter brackets because I'm running 320mm EBC free floating rotors which have been obsolete for quite a while.
Nice job :) I did duel disc on my 96 softail. so much better stopping power

1 - 20 of 31 Posts