V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ok more food for thought, whats the worst that can happen with the reed valve, or the reason the sky could come falling?

Whats a Taj-mak-motor?

The arm chair crowd is all over the place. No tech, lots of speculation based on no experience with the reed valve. Try it. It is much cheaper (time and money) than the alternatives.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I use an old wheel cylinder hone that has caliper stones on it. The wheel cylnder hone will go small enough to fit the hole, and the long stones don't hang up in the hole.

This is just a photo I grabbed off of the net, but the long stones are shown laying by the hones. You should be able to get a hone and the long stones almost anywhere that has a Lysle tool rack. Or Amazon. You want it to fit the hole,and have about a 2 inch stone.

View attachment 272779

Something like this would do it

Hone

You also want to use a plastic gear. They are more forgiving of imperfect bores.
Would you split the case for a light honing?
Whats your thoughts on using the reedvalve?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I gotta say a big thanks, to all the great knowledge all you fellas have helped me with. I feel im really getting to know the bike.

I really cant wait to get the scoot back on the road and do some nice riding this summer.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have no experience with the reed valve,, but it's raining here and I was curious,, the reed valve was originally offered for shovels and all Evo's, for some reason dropped for the earlier evo. I'd bet it was because many guys were trying to use them in worn out bores then complaining, so S&S just dropped the recommendation. Seems if it doesn't work it pukes some oil, like a bad breather. Like Therm said, call S&S, but I'm like Turbo, I'd try it, it wouldn't cause any damage and is reversible, fuk up with the hone or get trash in the motor you might need to split the motor. I hope to see more opinions.

·
Super Moderator
22,401 Posts
Would you split the case for a light honing?
Whats your thoughts on using the reedvalve?
Yes, I would split the case. Its really not a big deal.

I would not use the reed breather, without talking to S&S. I suspect there may be something to it, beyond the ability to control the case pressures. They are pretty opinionated about not using them in bottom breathers.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I see Rivera Primo still recommends their breather for all Evo's and a good price, Anyone use their products?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I see Rivera Primo still recommends their breather for all Evo's and a good price, Anyone use their products?

Now thats interesting

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just sent an email to the tech dept at S&S asking their advise or thoughts on using their reed valve in my bike, whilst looking on the website to get the part number i find that they have a reed valve recommended for BT bikes 84-99.

Interesting to hear what they say, but i reckon im going to go this way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some scoring in the breather gear housing and on the plastic breather gear, I will buy a S&S steel breather gear.
However how bad does the scoring in the breather housing, have to be before needing it reamed out for the bigger breather Gear, do the cases need splitting to ream?? The scoring is there but doesnt seem to be to bad.
The Plastic breather gear seems to be a good fit in the housing, not to tight, not to loose.

Another question, when checking the cam end play clearance, in the Harley manual it says install 4 bolts in cam cover and check the clearance. Do i subtract .006 ( for compression of the gasket after torquing) off this like it describes to do when checking the clearance on the breather tube when using a straight edge and gasket?
Or is the clearance range in the book, for camcover not torqued?

View attachment 272772 View attachment 272773
The reason HD uses cheap plastic is to hopefully have the breather go south instead of the breather case hole. if you (and you should) measure through the tappet hole, make sure you use alignment tools when putting the tappet Blocks back. and be careful the tappets go back in the same holes they came out of. best of luck its not a difficult job just do it right .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a plastic breather in my shovelhead for over 100,000 miles. It started making allot of noise so I pulled the cylinders and found both rod bearings were shot.
To make a long story short, the oil feed through the crank to the bearings was completely stopped up with plastic.
This may not be happening to your engine but you should be wondering were all that scraped off plastic went.

·
Registered
64 Posts
RIVERA style
& theirs is a REED VALVE style too !
Interesting

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
I have a few reed breathers in my bikes. One is a bottom breather and have had no issue with it.
Weren't the pre 93's bottom breathers? Therefore 84 -99 covers both types of motors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here’s the reply from S&S on using their reed valve breather in an older evo.

We do not recommend the reed breather for bottom breathing engines. The reason is that you will puke more oil out than what you already do. The reed breather is for our big engines and head breathing engines.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts