V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this info elsewhere and thought it might be useful to someone here. From HD:

Service Bulletin
M-1126 November 1, 2002
FLHRSEI2 AND FXSTDSE BREATHER BAFFLE REPLACEMENT
Purpose

H-D has determined that the early metal breather baffle assy is more suitable for high performance applications than the plastic breather baffle adopted as a running change in 2002 TC production motorcycles.Therefore, beginning October 8, 2002, H-D returned to the metal assy for all 2003 CVO high performance models (FLHRSEI2 and FXSTDSE) and over the counter 1550/1690 motors.

The kit p/n is 17650-02, two are required per engine

Everything looks identical to the original metal breathers, and they still use the same umbrella valve as before, p/n 26858-99.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Maybe so, but knowing the way they do things if the metal breather were exactly the same as the one originally installed on the TC's it likely would have retained the original -99 part# just like the umbrella valves have as opposed to having a -02#

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you're right Hippo. Must be something in the kit that is different from original parts in 99. I sure would like to know what the term "more suitable" means in reference of hi-po engines. Oh well, that's the Motor Company.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Does this impact the tendency of some engines to saturate the air cleaner with oil to the extent i will cause some spotting on the right side case and pipes? I notice mine does this with sustained high speed riding (say 80 mph+ over an hour). Noticed it after the stage 2 kit, but didn't ride the fast before, so a little unsure of whether the stage 2 had anything to do with it.. A local shop I use for oil change sugested re routing the lines to the air cleaner to a separate "collector" where it wouldn't get on the chrome. Seemed to think it was fairly common??

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gbenner:

Difference of opinion on what causes excess oil out of the head breather holes into the air cleaner. Some say the baffles are the cause, some say oil pump, etc. A guy on this list by the name of Rustler has some info on his site about what he did to solve it. Me, I just did what I've always done with Shovels and Evos, route the front and rear hoses (after connected with a tee) down and along the lower right frame rail to let them vent to the atmosphere.

HD does have a new setup for the SE air cleaner backing plate to try to fix this. Don't know anyone that has tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ed, thx for reply, I have a new SE air cleaner (tear drop shape) but didn't get any type of backing plate, other than a rubber peice used to install to (this is also when I started noticing the problem, now that i think of it). Can you elaborate? Did i not order something i should have?

thx, greg

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg:

What kind of backing plate do you have? In other words, what does the air cleaner element look like and what does it install onto? I'm not familiar with a SE tear drop shape air cleaner. Only tear drop shape I know about is the S&S one. How does each breather hole in each head connect to the backing plate?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The hoses just stick thru two holes in the backing plate and terminate above the throttle bore. Apparently the thinking is that the vapor will be sucked into the throttle bore, in a very low dollar attempt to copy the Ness backing plate.

It might be a small step in the right direction, but it doesn't appear to be a solution.

If the engine is assembled correctly and not overfilled and you run the breather to an open hose or one with a small K&N crankcase breather filter from an auto parts store under the frame you never get any puking at all. In my mind this eliminates the oil pump and the breather assemblies as a major cause, there just might be some strange air pulse condition that under some specific conditions causes the minor puking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ED Y

I have the new SE breather. I didn't have a problem with oil before, and hope I won't now either, but I love the improvement on the breather kit. It is much simplier to install, looks much cleaner than that old crossover tube and I think that it should improve oil leaking, if that is a problem. Time will tell. It has to be better than the old one.

shooter

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shooter:

I agree on the improvement over the old setup with the stupid chrome crossover piece. I never did think it was worth a da**. I just got the 2 new breather banjo's (1/4" hose type) and installed them with both lines to a tee and then down under the bike.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ed Y, the tear drop cleaner is on page 476, 03 catalog. I have the older style rubber breather hoses which direct the oil vapor onto the bottom of the air filter. The HD service mgr described the "new" backing plate precisely as Hippo did (picture also on page 476). He also didn't know if it would help. I have the rubber baffles, he also wasn't real optomisric the metal ones would help, also didn't think warranty would cover.

Hippo and Ed Y, are you both saying the same thing, i.e. tying the 2 lines together with a T fitting and then routing under bike? The only real issue i see here is looks, don't see any way to really hide it. The local mechanic I use for oil changes showed me a older (than 02) Road King where the line went to what looked like a small catch can (size of a light bulb, chrome) which rested on the right side case. Didn't really look bad, but not really great either. He said it was what he had always done when this was an issue. Hippo, this may be what you were also suggesting??

greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Actually the old style metal manifold works better to run the hose to the atmosphere. You only need one hose and no T fitting. Plenty of them around for free now that everyone is updating to the latest SE gadget.

You run the hose from the outlet of the metal manifold down by the rear pushrod tubes and across the bike where the cam cavity vent used to be on the pre 02 bikes and down to the frame in between the engine / transmission and inner primary and tie it to the frame rail by the crossmember area. The little filter is only about 2" in diameter. You really have to look closely to see it.

The one really important thing here is that the run of the hose needs to have a constant downslope.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thanks Hippo, I think that may be the first time I have heard the 4 letter "f" word associated with my Harley (LOL). If you have one I'd be more than happy to pay shipping and handling. greg

ps, I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if he is familiar with the "f" word.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree with Hippo about the run of the hose being downhill. I am just not a fan of the crome crossover breather piece (it does run uphill somewhat ?). I've removed a bunch and it allows too much condensation to collect (read yucky tan looking mess) between the front head and hose outlet. Some of the theory I've heard from a couple of knowledgeable techs from the far north alludes to the fact that 3/8" breather outlets at the banjo's were too big. That's why HD went to the new 1/4" ones. Course HD don't always make good decisions bout this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are the breather baffles that the service bulletin refers to in the heads or are they referring to the connectors between the stock backing plate and the head breather holes?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Breather baffles are in the rocker boxes. The connectors between the backing plate and head breather holes are usually called breather bushings or breather banjos.

·
Registered
55 Posts
well i did a topend and the breathers (metal) were replaced by a plastic with a filter, the old metal umbrella pukes to much oil bypass plus i think the chrome crossover to one line with a small filter is the best way to go on the tc88

1 - 18 of 18 Posts