V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story: One of the changes I had the dealer make Prior to taking delivery of my '02 FXDX was the addition of a mini tach and speedo in lieu of the OEM set. I was told at delivery time that because of this I lose the self-canceling feature on my directional signals. I can live with that. However, since then I have discovered that I also cannot program a personal code into my security system thus rendering it useless. The dealer says I'm SOL. I'm not willing to write it off without making absolutely sure it's a lost cause. Has anyone out there had a similar experience and perhaps been able to cure it?
Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
985 Posts
Does this mean the key fob will not activate / deactivate the alarm??

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Sounds like you need some electronics stored in the stock (or aftermarket Harely) speedo!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm going back to the dealer and check this out. I have plans to put a tach on my 2003 bike, I sure don't want any of the problems you've described. I don't think I want to hear, "you're SOL"
My gut feeling is, this doesn't sound right.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chops-

I can arm and disarm the system with the key fob and it operates normally. However, without being able to program a code, I'm screwed if I lose the key fob or the batteries die while the system is armed, therefore I don't use it.

Dean

·
Registered
46 Posts
The service mgr. at the local dealer warned me about any after market

add ons requiring altering or splicing into the electrical system to bikes

with factory security . I know someone who replaced a blown turn signal

bulb while traveling, with a bulb at an auto parts store and it completely

disabled the bike.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dean,
I would have to read up on how to arm/disarm the unit by means of the turn sigs myself...It is confusing and laborous at best.
I suggest hide the extra fob on the bike somewhere and use the alarm as is. It's good insurance to use the alarm and peace of mind somewhat.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You are lucky it's a carb bike. You lose the speedo signal to the TSSM and all sorts of strange things start to happen.

Theoretically it should not affect the personal code programming but I suppose it is possible.

I would try to program it in several times. They have to be initialized to enter program mode and it doesn't always work at the first try.
The problem is that by losing the security lamp (you would on a bagger, don't know on a dyna but should be the same) a clusterfu(ky procedure becomes even more difficult because you are guessing as far as the security lite attitude.

If you looked at the wiring diagram and installed a led in place of the one that would have been in the instruments (again if it applies), you would get a much better idea of what is going on.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hippo,

I must have tried a hundred times to program the code and yes, there was a security lamp on the stock speedo so I would guess at the response time, usually giving about a second per flash.
Thanks for the idea about wiring in a light, I'll have to give that a shot when get a chance

Dean

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use the alarm all the time and I can't remember how to disable it with the turn signals. If the FOB goes dead I'll be SOL.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If this helps, I was looking up something else today and see that the security sig is Brown/Violet stripe on the speedo molex plug.
Take an LED,a 470ohm resister in series with + lead of LED to this bro/vio wire.
The other LED lead is ground.
The security sig is 12v+ from pin 4 of security module.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
HarleyJoel, to disable alarm w/ ts... set key switch to acc, hold both ts til security lamp quits blinking off/on. Then use left signal button to input previously programmed #, push right ts button one time to confirm #, back to left ts button for next #, and so on... don't have my book at work, but I am pretty sure that's how it works.
twincamzz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts