V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paid for new road glide. Had dealer install SEAC, SERT, and pipe. The salesman asured me that the tech would not go over 3000 rpm on the dyno,
and that they only tune it to get the decel pop out. When I picked up the bike, It had 48 miles on it. All on the dyno. They also redlined it at 6200 RPM at least twice. Should I be concerned about the Engine?

Thanks

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
roadho said:
Paid for new road glide. Had dealer install SEAC, SERT, and pipe. The salesman asured me that the tech would not go over 3000 rpm on the dyno,
and that they only tune it to get the decel pop out. When I picked up the bike, It had 48 miles on it. All on the dyno. They also redlined it at 6200 RPM at least twice. Should I be concerned about the Engine?

Thanks

My guess is that assuming there's no strange noises and oil smoke, it's probably OK. It's just a bad idea. There's really little point in putting a brand new motorcycle on a Dyno until it's broken in. The SERT could heve been set initially and the bike broken in and dynoed later.

When I bought my Ultra, they told me nothing over 50 miles per hour for 50 miles and then under 65 for the first 500. That was to keep revs down initially.

Most dyno runs I've heard and seen don't limit rpm's to 3,000. Find another dealer fast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looking at the motoman break in procedure, hitting it hard asap looks like the way to go. Anyway, I've seen that the factory does pretty much the same thing testing the engines before the bikes leave the factory. From what I can gather, with modern motor building techinques, I don't think it really matters how you break in the motor as long as you don't overheat it. I don't think reving it up hurts anything.

·
Registered
769 Posts
AAL said:
Looking at the motoman break in procedure, hitting it hard asap looks like the way to go. Anyway, I've seen that the factory does pretty much the same thing testing the engines before the bikes leave the factory. From what I can gather, with modern motor building techinques, I don't think it really matters how you break in the motor as long as you don't overheat it. I don't think reving it up hurts anything.

Hmmm sorry my BS detecor is going off .......Do it by the book ,,,,get your bike broke in ,,, then do your mods if you must ....Why would anyone not use the proceedure recomended by the people who build the bike.........rat

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Bikes rolling off the assembly floor in York, PA are not broken in by the "book". The final step there involves strapping them to a "load dyno" type of setup and running (very fast) up thru the gears at least 5 or 6 times. Theory is that this seats the rings and is actually what Hastings (company that makes rings) recommends.

Heat, lugging are the biggest no-no's and varying the rpm's is a must. Keeping a large bike under 50 mph would mean not using 5th gear at all. If you did, you'd be lugging it. JMHO though.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I did follow the break-in procedures for my Road King...I usually take it pretty easy on my engines-be it motorcycle or car, but I have seen otherwise.

I saw a documentary on the Honda Gold Wing on Modern Marvels (or something like that) and they revved the piss out of the motor prior to installing it in the bike, and yet once again while running through all the gears prior to leaving the assembly line.

Who knows? I have friends who beat the hell out of their evo and twin cam motors and have had 40,000 trouble free miles. I honestly think that it is luck of the draw as to whether or not you will have motor problems...

:beer:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Not that I wouldn't follow recomended procedure (just in case anyone is lookin') but I've built a few "hot" performance car/truck motors and the drill was always the same: get a few heat cycles in 'em and then work them a little harder for a couple of runs, then run 'em like you're gonna use them...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My Night Train had twelve miles on it ....did a 95" kit with 10.5:1 KBs, and ported heads and 55g cams.. Three heat cycles and then to the dyno.
Runs great...burns no oil. I feel you have nothing to worry about.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
SYCLONE said:
My Night Train had twelve miles on it ....did a 95" kit with 10.5:1 KBs, and ported heads and 55g cams.. Three heat cycles and then to the dyno.
Runs great...burns no oil. I feel you have nothing to worry about.
What's one heat cycle? How do you know when it's cycled once?

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
What's one heat cycle? How do you know when it's cycled once?
One heat cycle is idle to operating temp, then shutdown and let cool to room temp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The recommended breakin in the Harley manual is actually a rider break-in. By following the recommendations, it is hoped that you will make it further than one mile from the Dealership before you T-bone a tree.......

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Vic in Va said:
The recommended breakin in the Harley manual is actually a rider break-in. By following the recommendations, it is hoped that you will make it further than one mile from the Dealership before you T-bone a tree.......
Sneaky....but a valid point. Good way to look at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts