V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought home the new 2003 2-toner v-rod today. Had to use my snowmobile helmit (live N.W. of Mpls.) to go riding & put the first 30 miles on the bike. The 50/500 mile break in period is going to frustrate the hell out of me...wanna see what this baby can do. Oh Well- patience is a tree whose root is bitter but it's fruit is sweet !

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Blame it on the weather. Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the scoot!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Congrats

on the two-tone. I brought a two tone home last month. Up to a whopping 318 miles now. Hope you can find some days this winter to "stretch its legs":D

Steve

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
HAWG100,
My breakin lasted 10 miles then I just had to roast my rear tire!She's makin 118+rwhp with no problems yet, so I guess that Break in stuff is BS? I have the 7 yr. EXW. so if there's a problem they can fix it!IF YOU CAN GO 500 MILES UNDER 50MPH YOU HAVE WAY MORE SELF CONTROL THAN ME!
Welcome and enjoy.
Kaz........;)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
SuperKaz said:
IF YOU CAN GO 500 MILES UNDER 50MPH YOU HAVE WAY MORE SELF CONTROL THAN ME!
Let's see?
Hummers
Harleys
Ducaties
Saleens
Vegas...

Yep, I'd say self control has definitely left the building on my good buddy SuperKaz...:D :D :D

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Add an 03 XR 100 Motard Track bike!Getting Safety Wired and Slicks as we speak!Pro Taper Bars and Arrows Exhaust,and K&N+Jet Kit!
2wheel fun,fun,fun!
Kaz:D :D :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
The first 50 is a killer, the next 450 will truly test you. I have 305 on my 2-toner and it is WET right now over here in the west coast, this is the best time to accessorize. Or you can just do what SuperKaz did, it's really up to you. I plan on owning this one for a long time so I am not taking any chances... except I will have to test out 140 once I reach 500.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Suggest that you don't say too much about not following the recommended breakin. On the Corvette forums, GM monitored and refused warranty in some cases.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Udate....put another 40 miles on the rod today and was able to stay under 3000 rpms............don't know how much longer I can honor the motherships break in period kind of goes against the grain moving over to let cars pass me by. Rare not to have snow or salt on the roads in Mpls. area in December so I'll keep riding till a snow fall shuts me down for the season. Maybe i"ll see 5 grand on the tach by Sunday!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes its VERY hard to follow their recommendations, especially that 50 miles below 50mph, I like to got run over getting home after picking her up, I couldn't hang completely during that time. Nobody does 50mph on freeways or 4 lane roads except some guy during breakin period. But I advise you to try and comply with their suggestions but an occasional blast to 5k rpm won't kill her, just use your common sense, no 7-8k rpm or extended full throttle til after 500 miles. And no lugging that baby in higher gears at slower speeds, thats worse than rpm in my opinion, lugging an engine. Be patient, the rewards are coming soon.....enjoy the view for now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had to think of my break-in time as the only chance the cagers would have to get a good view of my bike (I had one of the first V-Rods in San Diego)...

I remember the clock hitting 500 just as I was pulling up to a stop light, and then the evil grin I had once the light turned green and I watched all those cars turn into little dots in my mirror.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is what my V-rod technition told me about my break-in guidelines. He said, "that Harley's break- in recomendations are all the same". They tend to be directed towards the older generation Harleys (all the manuels for all the bikes state the same guidelines). Since the V-rod is water cooled and has a higher RPM, disregard what it states. So at the end of his lecture, "I said so what are you telling me"? He said, "let her rip!! Just don't red line her and do not stay at the same speeds all the time (Vary the speeds and gears). So thats what I did, and at both my oil changes 500 & 1000, every thing was fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree. Ultimately it's porbably varying your RPM that makes for a good brake-in so you don't develope flat spots in the performance and everything can seat properly. Some mechanics say "drive it like you would normally". I know that for some of our brothers that would mean roasting your motor in the first one hundred miles!

Be patient, you'll be surprised how fast that first 500 miles slips by.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts