V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Mustang Vintage Sport Solo with Driver backrest about a month ago for my Fatboy. I have put about 500 - 600 miles on the new seat and it feels like a brick with a piece of leather over it. How long does it take to break in the seat or is it as good as it is going to get? BTW - I love the backrest.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,852 Posts
I put a wide touring on my FXRT last spring. It took just about long enough for me to sit on it the first time for it to be perfecto.

Joe

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
take it off the bike put it in the ground and pay a local kid to hit it with a baseball bat for about 2 days lol if i had to wait 2000 miles to break it in i would sit on the frickin frame..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent the same question to Mustang and they said I could contact a Mustang Rep and they would put it through a "foam-softening process" free of charge.

I guess I will wait until I have 2K miles on the new seat before I send it back to Mustang. At least spring is here so to get 2K miles shouldn't take very long.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would say after 2,000 miles, it isn't the seat that is conditioned! It should be comfortable in less than 100 miles or else it ain't a good seat. Actually, if it ain't comfortable the moment you first sit on it, it's the wrong seat. That, or you have a pain fetish! On this forum, I strongly suspect the latter is true. :spank:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Break In??

If I had to wait 50 miles I'd send it back. My Mustang Vintage Solo was perfect the day I put it on the bike. It is much firmer than the stock seat, but the stock seat would crawl up my crack and become unbearable after a few hours. I put 500 miles on the Mustang the first week and it is perfect...other than it sat me back 2 inches which created handlebar and forward control issues.

Dennis

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought the ultra wide touring seat for my EGlide and I must be one of the 1 in 100 that do not like the seat. It sits me too far forward and up. I have only put about 100 miles on it and cannot get comfortable with the seat position, I am going to put my stock seat back on. Looks like I may have a Mustang seat for sale shortly.

·
Registered
755 Posts
03fatty said:
I got a Mustang Vintage Sport Solo with Driver backrest about a month ago for my Fatboy. I have put about 500 - 600 miles on the new seat and it feels like a brick with a piece of leather over it. How long does it take to break in the seat or is it as good as it is going to get? BTW - I love the backrest.
if you don't weigh much, or your a skinny dude, it may never be broken in for you. i think mustang can cut some of the foam from the top and replace it with a softer foam. not sure.

·
Sick Puppy
1,703 Posts
Liked mine from day one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
killmeyer000 said:
if you don't weigh much, or your a skinny dude, it may never be broken in for you. i think mustang can cut some of the foam from the top and replace it with a softer foam. not sure.
I don't have to worry about being a skinny dude... I am 5'11'' and weigh 250 lbs. I think that may be the problem (having all that weight on my rear when I am sitting).

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Alimentary, my dear Watson

nessus said:
It mostly depends on the ass to seat ratio
I believe the formula is A^2 / S^2 * Wt = Miles

where A = Area of Ass in Sq Inches

S = Area of Seat in Sq inches

Wt = Riders weight in pounds

:hmmm: ...............:brows: ..................:xhere:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Put a 1 piece wide touring on my Street Bob and it is great. It actually moved me closer by an inch or so. Noticed my legs are bent more on the forwards. The only good thing about it (?) is that the wife can now ride it.....
Sometimes....for a little bit. The seat is very comfortable. Did 200 miles on Monday and not a hitch in the nether region. I am your twin 03Fatty. Just waiting to get some progressive 440 HD black shocks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After looking at things more closely, it isn't the firm foam that is the problem, it is the backrest support bracket that is built into the seat. Their doesn't seem to be enough foam or the foam is too soft back there. I sent a message to Mustang asking if they can put more foam or higher density foam back there (I will let you know their answer).

I think the mustang seat does push me closer to the tank so I am probably trying to scoot back a little bit which means my tailbone is directly on the support bracket (ouch!). I didn't ride for 3 days and my tailbone is still sore.

I am not planning any long trips soon so I am going to put the stock seat back on until I can get some more foam in the back of the seat. It will also be interesting to see how much (if any) the mustang seat pushed me forward or if it just appears that I am closer.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
midnight sporty said:
take it off the bike put it in the ground and pay a local kid to hit it with a baseball bat for about 2 days lol if i had to wait 2000 miles to break it in i would sit on the frickin frame..
Don't know if you're serious about this or not BUT this is just exactly what I've done in the past, EXACTLY, on several bikes!! The seats I ride today, Ultra and Lowrider, were treated/broken in in this Hi-Tec manner right after I got 'em home. Course you don't try to knock 'grand slams' with the bat when working on the seat.

o~\o

·
Registered
20 Posts
The_Snowman said:
I believe the formula is A^2 / S^2 * Wt = Miles

where A = Area of Ass in Sq Inches

S = Area of Seat in Sq inches

Wt = Riders weight in pounds

:hmmm: ...............:brows: ..................:xhere:

:D ~!Awesome! Thats just funniernhell right there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts