V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 Street Bob, 350 miles on it, no modifications.

When shifting up in to 4th and continuing the acceleration, I hear a clacking sound. It's there in 5th too until the rpms get higher. It's different from a "bogging down" sound. More metallic sounding. Is this normal?

I will say that the recommended shift speeds for breaking it in seem a bit low. But I don't think this sound is from bogging it down anyways. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting some of the allure of a classic Harley mechanical monster sound.

Whiffleboy

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
06 Street Bob, 350 miles on it, no modifications.

When shifting up in to 4th and continuing the acceleration, I hear a clacking sound. It's there in 5th too until the rpms get higher. It's different from a "bogging down" sound. More metallic sounding. Is this normal?

I will say that the recommended shift speeds for breaking it in seem a bit low. But I don't think this sound is from bogging it down anyways. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting some of the allure of a classic Harley mechanical monster sound.

Whiffleboy
It's BRAND NEW - Take it back to the dealer!!!

If it's something serious, they can fix it before it turns into something horrible. If they say it's not serious, then turns out to be, there's no disputing that you at least reported it and didn't "wait too long".

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I've been to several stations, I'm using the highest grades they have at each. I'm bringing it in today so they can test drive it. It could just be my ears hearing things in the exhaust. I dunno.

Whiff

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow Up

Took it in to Bartels and a wrench gave it a test run after explaining the what and when to him. Everything is fine. It seems the recommended shift speeds for the 06 Dyna are very conservative and can bog the engine down - which was what I suspected. He said I could easily run 45mph in 3rd gear. The owners manual recommends shifting to 5th at this time. WTF??

I'm bumping up my shift speeds by about 10mph for each gear.

Thanks for the replies.

Whiff

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Hey Whiffle!

I just got back from breaking in my New Street Bob and I noticed the same thing. The speeds in the manual are way off! I have been riding long enough to know when I´m lugging an engine, and at the manual recommended shift points you are lugging the hell out of that engine! Considering that lugging the engine is a big no-no especially during break in, I hope that most riders don´t read that section of the manual too well...

Ride Safe
Sponk

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
The manual sucks anyway. On the '06 Dynas, the manual tells you to pull the transmission drain plug to change the engine oil.

·
Part Time Hero (Retired)
208 Posts
JamieWG said:
The manual sucks anyway. .........
Amen! Take a look in the Identification Section of the Dyna Owner's Manual; pg 25, fig 12, Street Bob, not one of the identifications are correct :duh?: (of course, maybe the right side of my bike was not properly constructed....). Someone needs to fire H-D's proof reader!:spank:

JD

·
Registered
335 Posts
The manual sucks anyway. On the '06 Dynas, the manual tells you to pull the transmission drain plug to change the engine oil.
This is true.

These two below should be reversed:

From the service manual:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts