V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...got my 500 miles done on my new Fatboy. Now what? How hard can I ride the beast now? What should I avoid doing? As a rough rule of thumb, where can the revs be in each gear without damaging the engine?
Is it still smart to shift at 25 to 30 for third, 35 to 40 for fourth and 45 to 50 for fifth?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ok I know you are excited so listen...

And I mean that literally!

Listen to your bike, it will tell ya when to shift. Ya don't need a tach nor is this a science.

For the next 500 keep it below 65.

Change your fluids at 1,000 and check the mag plugs for excess fuzz.

Ride the bike like you intend to ride it. If you intend to hot rod, give it a little more time.

DON'T LAG THE ENGINE!

Other than that, hell it's a Harley! It will be fine!

·
Registered
84 Posts
nyaz2000,
the 500 mile breakin rule is only a subjective number. If you want to beat it to death early in its motor life, you may have some issues with it later on. The rings are just getting seated! I know the temptations are there to cut it loose, so simply use your best judgement...it's your ride, and it didn't come cheap! (unless it was given to you)

I would say to listen with your ears and make the necessary shifts as you would normally. What you don't want to do is lug the motor. Downshift to the proper gear at the right moment, just don't over downshift.

After startup, let the motor warm up a bit before just jumping on and tearing down the road. Your lubrication system is your friend.
Try to avoid excessive high revving on startup too.

I know I did not answer the rpms question, but I think your ears are the best tool for this. IMO

Enjoy the ride, put some more miles on it, and then..........like I've heard before....Ride It Like You Stole It! Ride sober!

I ask one thing.....Ride Safe, your life or someone elses is what matters!

Congratulations on your Fatboy! A Harley classic.

Jimmy T.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Break In Done

nyaz2000,You still got some miles to put on it to fully seat the rings

You will know when to shift, just listen to your motor. I would not be concerned with downshifting right now. That will come to you in time as you get adjusted to the machine.

Change your fluids at 1000 miles and then continue to enjoy your ride.

ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's not how you ride them, it's how you warm them up and cool them down.

You can't hurt them with a stock rev limiter, unless you downright abuse them. Don't worry about it and just ride it like you normally would.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When i'm doing my breakin, I pretty much stay within the factory guidelines until 4-500 miles. then i start squeezing on it alittle as the miles rack up.
Hippo is right on, just ride it normally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Let's see if I've got it right. Continue being reasonably gentle til its got 1000 miles. Warm it up well, and change the oil at 1000 miles. Listen to the machine as a guide to shifting, and don't lag the engine. I was referred to a "Speed Calculator" on another forum and it shows the following speeds and RPM's by gear for a "TC FXST" (guess that covers the Fatboy model):

Speed/RPM's:
First gear 14/2000 18/2500 22/3000
Second 21/2000 26/2500 32/3000
Third 30/2000 37/2500 45/3000
Fourth 38/2000 48/2500 57/3000
Fifth 47/2000 58/2500 70/3000

So, during the break-in period (or forever?) seems like I should shift into each gear at no lower than the speeds shown in the first column, and should shift out of each gear at no higher than the speeds in the third column. I know I'm being anal about this but I don't want to damage the engine! Does this seem right? And after 1,000 miles what kind of RPM's can I REGULARLY run without doing damage?
Also, one guy on another forum said he changes his oil after the 1st 500 miles. Any value to this?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
NYAZ2000 TAKE A BIG BREATH!

NYAZ2000,

BUBBA, YOU HAVE GOT TO SIT BACK AND CHILL A BIT. CHANGE THE FLUIDS AFTER 1000 MILES. YOU PROABABLY HAVE DONE THIS ALL READY. RIDE THE SCOOTER LIKE YOU WANT TO RIDE IT. YOU CANNOT HURT IT.
DO NOT BE CONCERNED ABOUT RPM'S PER SHIFT. JUST SHIFT WHEN THE ENGINE TELLS YOU, YOU WILL HEAR IT, YOU WILL FEEL IT , jUST RIDE IT.
CHANGE YOUR FLUIDS AS THE MANUAL SAYS, OR CUT THE MILEAGE IN HALF AND CHANGE IT AT THAT TIME.
RIDE AS SAFE AS YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE MAINTAINCE OF THE MOTOR, AND THIS H.D. OF YOURS IS GOING TO BE AROUND FOR A LONG TIME. UNLESS IT GETS STOLEN. SORRY ABOUT THAT NYAZ, IT JUST SLIPPED OUT.

RIDE SAFE.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I guess there is a theoretical value to it. You pay too much attention to this sort of thing and you eventually will miss something really important. RTS.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
nyaz2000 said:
Thanks for the advice. Let's see if I've got it right. Continue being reasonably gentle til its got 1000 miles. Warm it up well, and change the oil at 1000 miles. Listen to the machine as a guide to shifting, and don't lag the engine. I was referred to a "Speed Calculator" on another forum and it shows the following speeds and RPM's by gear for a "TC FXST" (guess that covers the Fatboy model):

Speed/RPM's:

So, during the break-in period (or forever?) seems like I should shift into each gear at no lower than the speeds shown in the first column, and should shift out of each gear at no higher than the speeds in the third column. I know I'm being anal about this but I don't want to damage the engine! Does this seem right? And after 1,000 miles what kind of RPM's can I REGULARLY run without doing damage?
Also, one guy on another forum said he changes his oil after the 1st 500 miles. Any value to this?

Ya know what? Ya missed the most important thing of all.....

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE OTHER GUY, THE ROAD, AND WATCH FOR ANIMALS!

It does no good whatsoever to worry about all the stuff you are and then end up in a "man down" because you were paying more attention to this stuff and less to that which can KILL you.

The bike is under warranty and it will be fine. Now learn what is really important and that is saving YOUR ass and not.... "It's".

I have seen time and again bikes outlive their owners. Don't let THAT happen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
nyaz2000 said:

Speed/RPM's:

I gotta echo the other guys. The bike's not sensitive or delicate. You can even lug it or over-rev it occasionally, just don't do it a lot. As long as you don't mistreat it, it will be fine. Relax and just enjoy the ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts