V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just about time to replace my Dunlop 150 rear tire and thought that since I'm in the mood to buy tires I may as well replace the front one as well. Anyone here found another brand of tire (Avon, Metzeler, Bridgestone, etc) that they like better than the stock Dunlops?

I have looked as some other brands that "look"better than the stock rubber (more aggressive tread pattern, different cross-section profile, etc) but I'm wondering if "stock" is best.

Recommendations??

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Time to replace orginal Dunlaps. The info I've got so far is the Metzlers are the stickiest (good grip) and they wear out fast. Dunlaps are the only tires that met Harley Davidson specifications so I think I'll stick with them. Avons are for saving money, not a good idea. IMO

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi ,

I've been running a 160 Avon Python rear tyre on my slightly modified deuce 2000 , without changing the front stock Dunlops . I think this combination is not very recommendable as I noticed a tendency to shimmying above 140Km/h (not that I am often riding that fast but thought it would be noteworthy) . So in my opinion , changing front and rear at the same time might be required if they differ too much in profile (at least that's what I experienced )
The Python looks cool and all that but by no stretch of the imagination I'm using all that thread (would scrape my pegs to the end long before) and it is an expensive tyre . So I'm inclined to have a normal Dunlop rear again once the Python is worn out enough .

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Both the Metzeler ME880 and the Avon VenomX are good tires.

In my view it makes a big difference under what weather conditions you typically ride. The Metzelers are by far the better rain tires, and a few riders I respect swear by the Avon's.

Here in AZ it doesn't rain much and most of the time the road temperatures are extreme and the OEM Dunlops seem to be a decent compromise for these conditions. In colder or wet weather I would likely use the Metzelers, but it's hard to go away from a tire you never really had problems with, and in my experience softer compound tires while giving better traction also are more prone to punctures. Lots of **** on the road around here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Absolutely agreed with Hippo here.
Wheather conditions are an import
parameter in tyre decision making

Also , my Python is really a Venom of course.
Subject of a wild phantasy sometimes , sorry folks

rik:eek:

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
tires

10,000 rear 15,000 front under agressive riding habits on a 2000 road glide. I just installed Metzeler ME880 tires front and rear. I'll post the milage when i wear them out, probably the end of the summer.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
About the same on a 02 RoadGlide for the rear, but I get a lot more out of the fronts. On previous bikes always changed the fronts every second rear mostly because the bike is apart anyway and I save a trip to the tire shop, but they could go longer.

For some reason I get very good mileage out of the fronts despite being a heavy front braker.

·
Registered
458 Posts
On my 97 FLHT I was getting around 10,000 out of the rear and got 33,000 out of the fron. Would have been more but I was getting ready for the summer and changed them both. Looks like I'll get about the same on the FLHTCUI too. Thats two up most of the time and pulling a trailer about 1/3 of the miles.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
FXDeanX said:
Good thread. I've always liked Metzelers and will probably go with them when the time comes. Which brings up this question - what kind of mileage did you guys get from your OEM Dunlops?

Dean
About 10/15k outta the back and I've just changed the front
after 25k. could'ave got another 5/10k outta outta the front but had a new one sitting, so I changed it to be on the safe side of the road!

I'm the same as Hippo, hard on the front brake.
Over here it quite cold compared to where most of you guys are, so that should probably make them last longer, if I wanted.

I'm an 'if in doubt, change it' person when it comes to tyres anyway.
(specially the front)

:D

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
I changed the new tires over to WWW dunlop cruisemax tires right after delivery. I went with these as it was the only WWW tire I couls find in 150 width. Now I have 5000 miles on them and they are showing some pretty heavy wear in my opinion. I might make it to 10K but I doubt it. Anyone know of another WWW in the 150 width??

·
old timer
516 Posts
I am one of those that has made the switch...My FAsTBOY has been shod with Avons for a year now...I am getting better mileage on them than I do with the stock Dunlops. I just replaced the Dunlop on my RoadGlide with a stock tire but next time it will be time to change front and rear so it'll get Avon's as well.

They are a very good tire for passionate riding. The 150 Avon fits stock applications and they are very tractible in wet conditions. I ride in all weather and have a good deal of experience at 'passionate' riding in the twisties.

manny

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Any experience with Avon venom x's wwwall's.
The one I got looked like someone splattered the black part of the tyrewall with white paint! Mail order co. or wherever they get their supplies covered it up with black tyre paint.
Didn't realise till I had it one, WTH, gonna ride the shite out of it anyways.........

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2000 Ultra and have 32K on it. I have gone through four rear tires and still have the original on the front. The front looks like it is good for another 5K at least, but I would certainly change it before a long trip. The first four tires were Dunlop. I just put a Michelin79 on the rear and will see how it lasts. The reason I chose the Michelin is that it is the only tire the shop had that would fit the bike. I guess I use the rear brake a lot as the pads need to be replaced. I thought I was using front and rear equally as I usually brake with both. Now I tend to use the front more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts