V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the right place to post this but wasn't really sure where else to post:

My question for everyone is their opinion on PM calipers? My brother had PM calipers installed front and rear and said he did not notice any real difference over stock.

I need to make a decision by tomorrow Dec 6th on this. Would you install PM calipers or leave them stock?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Are you thinking about replacing the brakes on your '03 bike once you get it? Just my opinion, but the stock four piston brakes perform great. If you want something shinier, maybe. But just for performance, I think I would save my $$$ for something else. There will probably be others who disagree, but that's what makes this forum so great. All kinds of opinions here.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Being an ol KY guy myself, I totally agree with Twincamzz. You're getting a pretty good set of brakes on an 03 bike. Wouldn't make any sense to change them out. I always tell everyone getting a new bike, to get it, ride it, check out other bikes, then make a rational decision about changes 2 to 3 months down the road. Course, in UT, you may have to wait longer to even ride. Too many guys changes exhausts 3 or 4 times before finding one they like. Maybe could have avoided the expense if they had waited and compared.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While I personally wouldn't spend the money to change them over due to the extremely steep price tag, recently I rode a bagger with the PM 13" floaters and calipers up front, and they are nothing short of extraordinary.

·
Registered
688 Posts
03, You already paid dearly for the brakes you got, If you have to change them out, wait till you use up the pads on the ones you have. I'm with King Rider on this one, the stock brakes WILL stop you fast.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Whats the difference in calipers since 00?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm with the rest of the posts here, if you are able to skid your tires, then your calipers and brake pads are doing there job. I would save my money until I had to replace the pads if I wanted to change to something different. Just two extra cents thrown into the pot.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have an 02 king. The brakes are certainly OK, but not great. They will skid the tires but that is not the measure of great brakes. If I rode more aggressively (and had more money) I would consider upgrading.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've heard that some people like to change to braided steel brake hoses for better braking. They swear they get a better "feel" and that it is quicker. Would like to hear other comments.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think braided lines are supposed to resist "swelling" when the brakes are applied and therefore are "less mushy" , more responsive, better feel etal. I have them on my king and didn't notice any difference, put them on for looks. Perhaps the stock lines could be braided under the black rubber sheathing?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. You guys are awesome!!! Can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's posts. You have helped me tremendously!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to keep the stock ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts