V-Twin Forum banner

Brakes & 'Safety Issue'

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Unome 
#1 ·
Yesterday, I went to local dealership to pick up my bike after having 2 tires mounted and balanced. I got the bill and there was an extra $77 tacked on for rear brakes. :( We(wife & I) asked what was this about because we had never authorized this. (Bike only has 16,000 miles on it).

The 'tech' said, "It was a safety issue. The brakes were real bad and they wouldn't have even let me pick the bike up with brakes in that shape." :rolleyes:
Wife said we should have been called in any case before any work was done on bike.
'Tech' told her that they don't call on safety issues because they have to fix them anyway. If they had called and I had told them not to fix the brakes, left shop on bike and had a wreck, who did she think I'd hold responsible for the wreck.
She told him I would be responsible.
'Tech' told her, "No, you'd come back on us for not fixing the brakes."
Wife( real ):mad: at this point) told him we didn't work that way and should have been called. What if I wanted to trailer bike home and work on brakes myself?

Now some questions for you folks:

1. Are rear brakes that much more 'fragile' than fronts? I'm like most of you and use the front brakes more than rear, have not been in any brake lockdown situations where rear was sliding. :confused: Again, only 16,000 miles on bike.
2. Doesn't it seem more likely that the front brakes would have worn out sooner? We definitely would have been pissed if they replaced those. BIG BUCKS there since dual disc. :rolleyes:
3. Any one feel that this 'safety issue' is not 'quite right'?:(
4. Any good way I can tell if the rear brakes were actually replaced? I don't have any guages to check the thickness of the pad or anything.:confused:

See less See more
#27 ·
Greg, No offense taken.

Lately it seems to me I hear more bad stories about treatment from H-D dealers than good - they don't care, don't repair right first time, overcharge for services, etc. And as long bike owners are just going to stand by and not try to get proper service/treatment from dealers, they will continue to treat us all this way. If we make our voices heard and let them know we won't be patronizing their shop again, maybe eventually they will come around and treat us better.

You are correct about them not doing it again. This one incident has made me DETERMINED to learn how to work on my bike as much as my abilities allow. I understand most mechanical stuff and can figure just about anything out. If I can't, I have friends who can help.

I may use this dealer for parts I need right away. But there are too many aftermarket companies I can order most of stuff I need. And this internet is a 'wunnerful' thing and they can ship stuff to me overnight if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.