V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
No, Logical, I was not. My complaint is that I wasn't called AT ALL. Kind of a b*tch to walk up and have to shell out more money than you thought. I'm glad they found out the brakes were bad but would have liked a call.

Plus 'tech' said that with brakes like they were, they wouldn't have even let me take bike from shop. HUH???? What's that crap? I could have trailered the damn thing home and replaced pads myself if I wanted to.

Unome said:

Plus 'tech' said that with brakes like they were, they wouldn't have even let me take bike from shop. HUH???? What's that crap? I could have trailered the damn thing home and replaced pads myself if I wanted to.

Again, yea ya could have done that but in that the guy did not rack you on labor, what the hell?

If I were to ride my $20,000+ motorcycle untill the brake pads were unsafe without ever checking them (you weren't even sure whether they replaced the fronts or rear) I would be thanking the dealer, not ragging on him for spending $75. Sure, you might have saved $5 (I assume if you never check them you probably wouldn't replace them yourself) and perhaps you could have parked the bike while you saved up the money. Perhaps the dealer should have called first, but we only talking $75. Please don't take this personally, but if I were the dealer I would hoping you took your business elsewhere. (we're talking about your life and your wife's life vs $75).

Sorry, just my view. Normally I might agree with you but not considering the seriousness of the problem vs the amount of money involved.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Gbenner, When picked up 'tech' told me they had replaced the REAR. Only after reviewing the bill and looking at brakes did I determine they had replaced front instead. My issue is that no one called me in advance.

I look at brakes on regular basis because I do look bike over and check things out before I ride. BUT I don't have way to meaure thickness to see if they are getting a little thin. I have to use the 'eyeball' technique. So I can't be 100% sure if they actually needing replacing or not. They had looked fine(to me) but maybe there is some H-D 'standard' that when they reach a certain 'thickness/thinness', they 'have to be replaced'.

I can replace my own pads(on front) because I have done so on many cars owned by friends, kids, relatives, etc. Principle behind this is essentially the same. I'm not about to attempt the rear brakes yet(which look almost as thick as new front brake pads) but will be buying tools and jack and learning how to fix what I can without getting dealer involved.

Hey, if they had called and said, "We've checked these front brake pads and they are pretty bad. Since we have tire off would you like us to go ahead and replace them?", I'd have said yes. BUT I never got the call.

Unome, good point, I think I sounded more critical than i intended. It sounds more like the dealer may have overstated the risk, i.e. the pads probablly were'nt a bad as they indicated? I agree with most everyone else, they should always call first. Maybe they had the same view of my last comments, not that that justifies it. To me, the issue revolves around the mix of how serious the issue vs the dollars spent. Anyway, I bet they don't do it again. good luck, greg

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Greg, No offense taken.

Lately it seems to me I hear more bad stories about treatment from H-D dealers than good - they don't care, don't repair right first time, overcharge for services, etc. And as long bike owners are just going to stand by and not try to get proper service/treatment from dealers, they will continue to treat us all this way. If we make our voices heard and let them know we won't be patronizing their shop again, maybe eventually they will come around and treat us better.

You are correct about them not doing it again. This one incident has made me DETERMINED to learn how to work on my bike as much as my abilities allow. I understand most mechanical stuff and can figure just about anything out. If I can't, I have friends who can help.

I may use this dealer for parts I need right away. But there are too many aftermarket companies I can order most of stuff I need. And this internet is a 'wunnerful' thing and they can ship stuff to me overnight if need be.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.