V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
I've also added the Back Off flashing module to the third brake light on my car as well. It really does make a difference.
Yes it does.

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
Takes more than brake lights flashing or not.
Sad tale and RIP to the biker but what he should have done and I always do is to not get complacent about situational awareness.
Never trust other drivers whether it be turn signals or expecting someone coming from behind to stop or whatever.
If you pay attention and leave yourself an escape route and you're ready to go for it you can save yourself from a situation like this one.
I always know what's going on behind me when I stop and I'm ready to move if need be once I'm stopped and waiting, never let yourself get boxed in at a stoplight.
You're wrong. I'm completely invulnerable with my little flashing LED light. no other precautions needed. I don't even have to brush my teeth anymore.

joe

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bicyclist should be run over, I hate those *uc*ers. You should get paid by the state for killing them.
Every now and then, I'll see a stupid comment but this comment is the worst I've ever seen!
Encouraging drivers to kill bicycle riders?

What would you think if cages felt the same way toward motorcycles?

What kind of early training did you get for riding a motorcycle? Most MC riders had a bicycle as a kid.
How would you feel about someone running over a family member who was out on their bicycle?

Still.... a very dumb comment!

·
Registered
852 Posts
However you feel about bicyclists, doesn't give the right to encourage running them over.

Bicycles still have to comply with the "Rules of the Road".
They have the same rights in Iowa as a motorized vehicle.

When you passed that bike, why didn't you do a complete other lane pass?
Yellow line?

Give yourself and other bikes plenty of room.
It's there, give it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
However you feel about bicyclists, doesn't give the right to encourage running them over.

Bicycles still have to comply with the "Rules of the Road".
They have the same rights in Iowa as a motorized vehicle.

When you passed that bike, why didn't you do a complete other lane pass?
Yellow line?

Give yourself and other bikes plenty of room.
It's there, give it.
Moving over to the double yellow, gives bikes more than the needed room. NC only requires 3 feet to pass, peddle bikes are required to ride single file, unless in a bike lane.

I have no use for the wan-a-be armstrongs......I will never give a peddle bike a break again.

·
Registered
765 Posts
So what ever happened with the bicyclist, did you sue him?
Yes, I took him to court. Insurance offered a good settlement, I signed an agreement that I can't talk about the settlement.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
Every now and then, I'll see a stupid comment but this comment is the worst I've ever seen!
Encouraging drivers to kill bicycle riders?

What would you think if cages felt the same way toward motorcycles?

What kind of early training did you get for riding a motorcycle? Most MC riders had a bicycle as a kid.
How would you feel about someone running over a family member who was out on their bicycle?

Still.... a very dumb comment!
You're right, but as a group, those people ARE some self-entitled, rude, and dangerous asses.

joe

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
Mirrors, use them ALL THE TIME.

Always leave an escape route, ALWAYS.

I flash my brake light while a car is aproaching, if he is not slowing down I am out of there. Even after a car or two is stopped behind me a continually scan the intersection and my mirrors. Over my 36+ years riding I have prevented hundreds of accidents, sometimes it feels like I avoid one every time I ride.

Be carefull out there.

Markk9 does it matter if the bicyclist is wearing a helmet?

·
Registered
852 Posts
You're right, but as a group, those people ARE some self-entitled, rude, and dangerous asses.

joe
Disagree.....

I ride both motorcycles and bicycles.
Member of both H.O.G. for years and my local bicycle club.
Safety is #1 in both groups.

There can be a jerk in either group but they are the exception.
Can't believe a bicycle would think they could win in a crash with a motorcycle. Look at the difference in mass.

I ride locally, have been on "Ride The Rockies" and in Colorado, the Highway Patrol will give a bicycle a speeding ticket when speeding down a hill too fast. I've seen it.
Rules of the road have to be followed.

I've done RAGBRAI (Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) many times. A week-long ride that brings 25,000 participants to Iowa safely.
Safety is always a factor.
Jerks don't last.

·
Registered
765 Posts
disagree.....

I ride both motorcycles and bicycles.
Member of both h.o.g. For years and my local bicycle club.
Safety is #1 in both groups.

There can be a jerk in either group but they are the exception.
Can't believe a bicycle would think they could win in a crash with a motorcycle. Look at the difference in mass.

I ride locally, have been on "ride the rockies" and in colorado, the highway patrol will give a bicycle a speeding ticket when speeding down a hill too fast. I've seen it.
Rules of the road have to be followed.

I've done ragbrai (registers annual great bike ride across iowa) many times. A week-long ride that brings 25,000 participants to iowa safely.
Safety is always a factor.
Jerks don't last.
road peddle bike riders are azzholes if in a group, never had a problem with a single rider, only the groups.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mirrors, use them ALL THE TIME.

Always leave an escape route, ALWAYS.

I flash my brake light while a car is approaching, if he is not slowing down I am out of there. Even after a car or two is stopped behind me a continually scan the intersection and my mirrors.
I may be old school, but I was taught to always stop at a slight angle in the lane, slightly back from the vehicle in front of you. This gives me a "escape route" by lane splitting or heading to the shoulder of the road and it gives more of the motorcycle to see for approaching vehicles. Just enough angle to escape but not to hide the brake lights.

Always keep brake and clutch covered, bike in gear, so you're ready to take evasive action if necessary.

Yes, I also flash brake lights for approaching vehicles and continually scan for ALL approaching vehicles.

Defensive driving saves lives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sad. That one of the times I feel most vulnerable - sitting at a red light. Watch those mirrors and be ready to move, if possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At a light I'm always in gear and if I see someone coming from behind I repeatedly pump the hand brake. If I have to brake hard to stop at a pink light I watch my rear view mirrors. A few times I knew the guy behind me wasn't braking fast enough and would have hit me. Pickups, Jeeps and suvs with knobby tires have a much longer stopping distance than any other vehicle.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
At a light I'm always in gear and if I see someone coming from behind I repeatedly pump the hand brake. If I have to brake hard to stop at a pink light I watch my rear view mirrors. A few times I knew the guy behind me wasn't braking fast enough and would have hit me. Pickups, Jeeps and suvs with knobby tires have a much longer stopping distance than any other vehicle.
I added an LED stop light that flashes 3 times every few seconds when the brakes are on.

joe

·
Registered
15,764 Posts
3 yrs. Not even close to a record.

I'm just here for the beer.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts