V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new Metzlers on last month, and put new brake pads all around while I had it apart. I've noticed the front is dragging just a fuzz - but I recall there wasn't any clearance to speak of when I put it back together.

Is this the brakes dragging because it's just a tight fit when the pads are new, or do I have a caliper hanging up ?

Any experience with this ?? Thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have noticed a drag sound on occasion. I have always pulled the caliper back off, cleaned, and placed a little disc brake lube when needed.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I push my pistons in, then never touch the brake lever again until the front wheel is installed and the forks are aligned/spaced per the manual and everything is torqued to spec. Then hit the brakes and.....no drag.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If you did not clean the pistons in the calipers after replacing the pads, the pistons may not be retracting all the way after releasing the brakes which could cause the brakes to 'drag'.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also, when putting the front wheel back on be sure to follow the service manual's process of running a 7/16ths drill bit through the right side axle hole in order to align the front forks on the axle. If the forks are allowed to spread apart while tightening the wheel cap bolts that can cause binding on one or two of the pads. Also, I installed Lyndall brake pads and they make a big difference -- no squeaks and less drag. They're also supposed to reduce brake dust, which soils my white walls, but I haven't had them on long enough to see if it's true.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts