V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pretty sure I have a braking issue:
Wheel Hairstyle Cartoon Tire Leg

So with that being said and since I am doing all of this other work to the bike I think I need to upgrade the brakes as well. Getting a bit more performance is great, BUT think I might need to be able to stop just as well :)

Anyway I think I am going to be getting Performance Machine 4 Piston Front Calipers:

Product Automotive design Bicycle part Font Motorcycle accessories

Which apparently will require a new upgraded Master Cylinder - why wouldn't it :rolleyes:

Watch Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

Now, what to put on the rear - another 4 piston Caliper or perhaps a 6 Piston Caliper for better rear brake performance and to "balance out" the braking between the front and rear, At the moment, my front brakes apply much easier than the rears which has resulted in me standing the bike up on the front wheel on a few (unintentional) occasions :)

So the question is this - is it wise to have two different calipers on the bike or should I have 4 piston calipers on both front and rear?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The only logical thing to do is take the brakes off altogether. That way, you won't have a braking issue.

Reactions: Hoges

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can't be constructive - don't bother posting okay. I don't think you've left anything BUT sarcastic comments to my posts. I don't know what your problem is but do us both a favor - ignore my posts.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Those calipers do not require the MC to be changed. Why do you think they do?

Reactions: Hoges

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Pretty sure I have a braking issue:
At the moment, my front brakes apply much easier than the rears which has resulted in me standing the bike up on the front wheel on a few (unintentional) occasions :)
No, I doubt it. The front wheel will skid before you lift the rear wheel off the ground on your bike.

PM makes decent products but have you checked out some other brands too?
If the price is similar I would probably go with Brembo's.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Doesn't your 97 have the hockey puck single piston caliper up front?
Auto part Metal Event Composite material Bicycle part

I'd love to see it lock up the front wheel and stand a Heritage up.
My 05 has a 4 piston and can't do that.
I can see an upgrade, but not for having too much brake.
And generally you need more braking in the front , the rear locks up easier since the weight is going forward. So you don't need the bigger brake back there,
Maybe try some different type pads in the back, I'd probably upgrade the front.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those calipers do not require the MC to be changed. Why do you think they do?
Because there was a recommendation to change out the Master Cylinder if using that particular caliper, with 3 models of Master Cylinder listed. Just went by what the web site said ..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd love to see it lock up the front wheel and stand a Heritage up.
Trust me, it has happened a couple of times.

Maybe try some different type pads in the back, I'd probably upgrade the front
Thanks, maybe I'll start with that and see what happens.

No, I doubt it. The front wheel will skid before you lift the rear wheel off the ground on your bike.
As said, I have lifted the rear wheel and from memory - there was no skid first, it just lifted.

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Lot of money for calipers. And a recuring issue on sourcing replacement pads.

A set of adapters and some used 00-07 calipers off of ebay will give you the improved stopping power you desire. Fact is, a good rebuild and a set of sintered pads will give you a 50% improvement over what you have now. Those 2000's 4 pot calipers are running $50 a set on ebay these days. And the rebuild kits are about $25 each. Add $70 for sintered pads and you are still about a $1000 to the good over those show piece calipers.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
too spendy for me but nice!..they only bolt up to certain year forks(newer) 2000 or newer??...can you keep your stock hd h-bar master with this...that might simplify things and future master part r/r's

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
oh and i have the single dirtbag stock duel set up front and has worked good forever..not the best set up but always did its job....the rear slave was shot/fried long ago and replaced(custom chrome one)...91 bagger.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Thermodyne and I'll talk to the shop about what you suggest.

gb 1500 a lot are for 2000 + bikes but the ones I am getting are for older bikes All I know is they will fit my 97 :)

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Thanks Thermodyne and I'll talk to the shop about what you suggest.

gb 1500 a lot are for 2000 + bikes but the ones I am getting are for older bikes All I know is they will fit my 97 :)
I just got done doing the 4 pot upgrade to my 84 FXR, both ends. The fronts just required the adapter plates and longer lower hoses. The rear required some cutting-bending-welding to make it work. Used the masters and rotors that were already on the scooter. And was able to reuse the rear hose.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you believe Performance Machine 100% then the calipers I am looking at are "direct bolt on" calipers for my bike. To me, that means I can/could unbolt the current ones (calipers) and bolt the new ones straight back on without having to do any modifications at all.

That is IF you 100% believe what Performance Machine claims :)

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
I used those on my personal FXRS, the stopping power is greatly increased, direct bolt on front and rear.. while i was there, i used Russell braided coated stainless hoses, and drilled stainless rotors..
Yeah, they aren't cheap.. easy location of replacement parts... all i ever needed was pads. They wear quicker than harley pads, but are less than harley oem

Understand your bike may not have the power level mine did, nor the needs i required, as my riding style was extremely aggressivle,,, high speeds, and needs of rapid speed drops, with no fear of accidental lock up... 137hp with me riding..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks and I like to have the stopping power, even though I may not need it all all of the time - one day I might :)

In so far as the pads go, my plan is to use ceramic pads - if I can get them for the bike and calipers that is.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Trust me, it has happened a couple of times.

As said, I have lifted the rear wheel and from memory - there was no skid first, it just lifted.
A professional stunt rider would have a hard time doing a stoppie (nose wheelie) on a Heritage.
Maybe you unloaded the rear suspension.
I don't know you but I know your bike and it can't be done.
I'm gonna start calling BS on some of your posts.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
I suggest changing your mind on ceramic pads... they are for high mileage and wear rotors out... the pads supplied with the PM caliber kits are perfect for street riding and do not need to heat up for ideal braking from all speeds.. wear them out then decide they are free..... btw PM factory are a very precise fit,,, powder coating on the backplate from even the high dollar aftermarket pads

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks tall terry - I will definitely keep that in mind.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A professional stunt rider would have a hard time doing a stoppie (nose wheelie) on a Heritage.
Maybe you unloaded the rear suspension.
I don't know you but I know your bike and it can't be done.
I'm gonna start calling BS on some of your posts.
Think and believe what you want - I really don't care and your right, you don't know me and you apparently don't know MY bike or my abilities.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts