V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my 98 FXSTC I heard a rattle when I test rode it...the dillweed I bought it from said he thinks the noise was coming from the front exhaust heat shield.

I noticed when I pulled in on the front brake the rattle stopped. I wasn't worried about the noise, I was riding a 81 Lowrider...so noise isn't an issue for me, lol.

Well come to find out it was the front caliper making the noise. I changed the pads, as they were worn anyway.

The noise stopped for a couple of months...now its starting again. I know its the front caliper because when I'm stopped and it starts to rattle all I have to do is squeeze the brake and it stops.

Its not even close to rattling like what it was when I first bought the bike, but its starting again...is there some shimming I can do? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
822 Posts
jetdoc said:
When I first bought my 98 FXSTC I heard a rattle when I test rode it...the dillweed I bought it from said he thinks the noise was coming from the front exhaust heat shield.

I noticed when I pulled in on the front brake the rattle stopped. I wasn't worried about the noise, I was riding a 81 Lowrider...so noise isn't an issue for me, lol.

Well come to find out it was the front caliper making the noise. I changed the pads, as they were worn anyway.

The noise stopped for a couple of months...now its starting again. I know its the front caliper because when I'm stopped and it starts to rattle all I have to do is squeeze the brake and it stops.

Its not even close to rattling like what it was when I first bought the bike, but its starting again...is there some shimming I can do? Any other ideas?

Replace the anti-rattle clip located in your caliper.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, the anti rattle clip...when I removed the old pads I don't remember seeing a clip...perhaps thats the problem?:beer:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts