V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can teflon tape be used on the bleeder screws on the calipers? Just wanted to verifty that there is no chemical reaction between the brake fluid (dot 5) and the teflon. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
You have to be careful that you don't get it close to the first thread. Sometimes the tape will shred and get into the system. Probably a small amount of regular pipe thread seal would be best. The threads aren't what makes the seal on the bleeders. It's a machined compression fit and seal.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
i wouldn't recommend teflon tape but like gray said a tiny amount of pipe seal.

Why are you wanting to do this? if its leaking just buy a new bleeder, can't see how that would break the bank.

hey, arent' those tapered slightly for a tight fit?:unsure:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand it's a machined compression fit inside of the caliper and that is working fine.

I am installing a dual from brake system on a 883 Hugger and want to pull a vacuum on the lines but as soon as I crack the bleeder valve, it sucks air from around the threads and I can't get all of the air out of the system. I was hoping that the teflon tape would help stop the air from leaking around the bleeders threads.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'll do it the old fashion way, pump the brake up, open the bleeder, let out the air, close bleeder, repeat.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
jockeyshift said:
I understand it's a machined compression fit inside of the caliper and that is working fine.

I am installing a dual from brake system on a 883 Hugger and want to pull a vacuum on the lines but as soon as I crack the bleeder valve, it sucks air from around the threads and I can't get all of the air out of the system. I was hoping that the teflon tape would help stop the air from leaking around the bleeders threads.
Jockeyshift, I've done what you're suggesting on cars (using a Mityvac) and it worked fine. Never had a problem.

John

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John. I'll give it a try tonight. Just wanted to make sure that the two could live happily together.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I tried using a vaccuum pump and encountered the same thing. I kept sucking air into the system. Pipe joint compound didn't work either. You don't want to suck the compound into the fluid anyway. Yes, the manual way is best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts