V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1945 HD UL, 1948 HD FL, 1991 HD FXLR, 2007 HD FXDB
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my ’91 FXR, I’ve replaced the piston and seal in the rear caliper, replaced the rotor, and have new pads, which come with new shims. One complication is that from the VIN on my bike, it's an early-91 bike, and the factory service manual says that the shims are different on early-91 vs. late-91 bikes. I purchased the pads from Dennis Kirk (as I recall, they are Drag Specialties), and DK doesn't distinguish between the two types of pad shims. The old shims I'm replacing seem identical to the new ones, but both types are the late-91 versions.

I’m having trouble with the brake pads. With the new shims in place, the pads don’t fit on the caliper bracket. The old pads seem identical to the new pads, but show signs that a PO filed the notches where the pads hang on the bracket that the caliper bolts onto. The picture below shows where I've clearanced the notches a bit, using a flap wheel on my angle grinder to shave off a small amount. I can fit the pads on now, but they are very tight with the shims in place. Once the pads are in place, the caliper gets dropped onto the pads and rotor to be bolted down to the bracket.

x
Font Auto part Parallel Pattern Diagram

Since the pads now go onto the caliper bracket, but are very tight, my plan is to take off a bit more from each pad so that the pads have room to slide a bit. The pads are advertised to be “exact fits,” but you know how aftermarket parts can be, and then there's the situation with the early-91 shims, which I don't have..

Do you see any downside to my plan for getting the pads to fit on the caliper bracket?

· Registered
10,229 Posts
Aftermarket pads have powder coated back plates,, the coating must be removed as you have done to allow fitment... the wired looking steel shims the bolts pass through need to have silicone grease applied, and should be snug, but not tightly fitting... BTW,,the caliper pads and all but the bracket are the same components used on same model softails.

· Registered
1945 HD UL, 1948 HD FL, 1991 HD FXLR, 2007 HD FXDB
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, TT -
BTW,,the caliper pads and all but the bracket are the same components used on same model softails.
And also FLTs, with the only difference being that the caliper brackets are chromed - I think I remember reading this in the FSM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts