V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems a simple task.

Remove pad pins on front brake to replace the pads.

OK, but what is that pin head?

12 point, yes.

does my 12 point 6mm fit, oh no it doesn't, too small.

nor does my 7mm, too big.

1/4 inch 12 point, no too big.

It's like Goldilocks.

What fits?

Its a 2004 FXSTi

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Yeah, the pins are 1/4 in 12 point on my 06 FLHRSI as well.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
monkeybrain uk said:
Seems a simple task.
Remove pad pins on front brake to replace the pads.
OK, but what is that pin head?
12 point, yes.
does my 12 point 6mm fit, oh no it doesn't, too small.
nor does my 7mm, too big.
1/4 inch 12 point, no too big.
It's like Goldilocks.
What fits?Its a 2004 FXSTi
I had to special order sockets from Sears to do mine.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The pad pins are 1/4 inch 12 point, I got mine from Sears, but I would think any decent automotive tool supplier would have it. In a pinch you could use a 1/4 inch 12 point closed end wrench, these are more common.

Push the pads into the caliper assembly when you are screwing out the pad pin bolts, this will unload them from the anti-rattle spring, which makes them hard to screw out.

I wonder why Harley uses a 10 mm 12 point to hold the caliper on and a 1/4 inch 12 point for the pad pins? Mystery....

·
Registered
37 Posts
........and why do they use 1/4"-20 buttonhead bolts for my HD fog lamp kit that take a 4mm hex bit to install? Standard & metric in the same fastener!!!!!.......'Bean

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Tommy Meisel said:
... I wonder why Harley uses a 10 mm 12 point to hold the caliper on and a 1/4 inch 12 point for the pad pins? Mystery....

The forks are made by Showa and so are metric, while the caliper supplier is most likely U.S.A.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Sorry, but everytime I see this topic title I think it says 'Brake Bad Pins,' so I think of some poser in a vest with pins that say 'Bad To The Bone,' 'I'm a Bad Man' or 'Pain Don't Hurt.'

Yeah, I know it would be 'break' not 'brake.' Can't help it.

·
Registered
2012 FLTRX, 2014 FLHTK
160 Posts
I have changed those pads on a couple of bikes, and they are a pain in the ass. I dont remember what size wrench was needed, but even after I got the right size the bolts were so soft that the heads stripped off. I ended up going to the dealer and buying a set of replacement allen head bolts. They are chrome bolts sold at the dealer and they are a lot easier to work with than the stock ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts