V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 05 RK with 9500 miles on it. It's recently started a very slight squeal from the front rotor when stopping. What's the "Average" life of brakes on these bikes????? Thanks in advance

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Dunno about pad life, but my OEM front pads have always made noise....kind of irritating. I just changed to Lyndall Z pads on my FXD at 7,500 miles (along with Metzeler 880s). Poof...no more brake noise at all. Zero.

T113

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks troop....Never made noise until the last couple of rides and it's faint...i hear this is a common problem. Guess I'm going to change mine out also...even if they don't need it.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I had a lot of squeal during the first 5k, but haven't noticed anything in quite a long while. The service manager told me that I had virtually no wear on the fronts at 10k service. I am on my third set of rear pads.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I think riding style has a lot to do with pad life. Unlike 8-Ball I go through two sets of front pads to one set of rears. As Trooper recommended the Lyndall Z pads are far superior to the stock pads and well worth the extra money. Sometimes on the stock pads brake squeal especially the rears can be cured by simply cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner. I've never experienced brake squeal with the Lyndalls but you should follow the break in procedure on the back of the package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.