V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one that's sure to get me made fun of. I just changed the front brake line on my bike to accommodate the new bars I got. Got everything back on and the brakes bled but I'm just not sure about what the proper fluid level in the reservoir should be. I know I don't want to over fill because then it starts spilling out the side and of course I don't want to little. I looked in my owners manual as well but really nothing in there.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
My service manual says to fill within 1/4" from top for the front master cylinder (6mm). For the rear is says fill to the upper fluid mark

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The 1/4" to the top is good. Make sure the rubber diaphram is back in its formed position, up, before installing the top. The brakes, master cylinder and resivior are sealed, if you get in too much it will spill upon installation of the top cover. Once the cover is on, a leak is not correct under any circumstances. The top cover is vented to the top of the diaphram to allow the diaphram to colaspe into the resevior as the brakes wear and the fluid level goes down. Usually if the level gets to the low point in the window, you need new pads not more fluid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I was checking the level via the reservoir but just wasn't sure what to look for. I did though have my levels at about 1/4 from the top and all appears to be good, no leaks and good brake lever pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts