V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had a problem with loosing the rear brakes on a 04 ultra or a 06 road king. a budy of mine went a road trip and was coming down a 13% grade and his rear brakes got spongy one of there guys with a road king lost his brakes completely on the rear . i know the dot 5 fluid will hold up to 580 degrees in temp so i doubt the the fluid was boiling that's some major heat id think you'd smoke the pads befor boiling the fluid:hmmm:

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
harlet said:
Has any one had a problem with loosing the rear brakes on a 04 ultra or a 06 road king. a budy of mine went a road trip and was coming down a 13% grade and his rear brakes got spongy one of there guys with a road king lost his brakes completely on the rear . i know the dot 5 fluid will hold up to 580 degrees in temp so i doubt the the fluid was boiling that's some major heat id think you'd smoke the pads befor boiling the fluid:hmmm:
They were probably riding their brakes down the hill. Doing that after a little while (depending on your speed) can easily cause your brake pads to essentially become useless. The pads start to loose their stopping power. Riding your brakes heats them up pretty quick. Once they cool down they start to work again.

If what your saying is that the guys brake bedle bottomed out after repeatadly pumping it, that would suggest he probably has air bubbles in his brake lines, which when heated up will expand and make his brakes feel spungy.

I'd recommend inspecting the brake pads to see if they are worn out, getting his brake lines bled and (most importantly) learn to not ride your brakes going down hills. Braking in short, periodic, bursts is alot better (gives things a chance to cool down) and down shifting to let the motor help slow you down. Good luck...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts