V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on adding the braided stainless steel coolant hoses in the next month or so. The chromed coolant line cover frankly has a "J.C. Whitney" look about it that (IMHO) doesn't go with the V-Rod's high-tech look.

Has anyone installed the upgrade coolant lines themselves, or is this a job best left to the technicians at the dealership? any thoughts on this upgrade part would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had it done and the Dealer said the techs hate doing it, but it looks 10x better, at least to me. It's only a steel braided cover over a rubber hose and can be a real PITA to work with. I understood it's not real flexible to work with and frays. I have worked a little with the steel braided hoses covers and your best bet is to tape the ends with electrical tape. By dong that it prevents it from fraying when you are working with it. Then just remove the tape when you have it installed. Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had mine installed by the dealer, before I took delivery of the bike.
About two weeks later I had a coolant leak. The leak was at the overflow
neck coming off by the pressure cap. This part rests on the frame. I think it was damaged when the dealer installed the braided hose. So if you do it yourself. Handle with care.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did my own, it was a royal pain in the ass to do but well worth it. What I learned was to re-wrap the ends of the braided hose with duct tape. The masking tape they ship with doesn't last long when you're twisting on them. Lube up the inside of the hose with soap and use lots of patience.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Excellent, I think I will try this one myself! Personally I didn't like the chrome one either, braided looks much nicer and blends better with the aluminum.

Anyone here try changing the grips yet??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haven't tried changing the grips yet but did swap out to the chrome plated controls. Nevertheless, thinking seriously about getting a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New grips for the V-Rocket!

I did a grip change on my bike, not because I did not like the stockers, I did it because I had to have the skull end caps! I could not figure out a way to retrofit the originals. It was a pretty easy job. I do suggest picking up a shop manual...They are good to have anyway. The trickiest part was adjusting the throttle and idle after putting the new grip on, but patience will get you through. If you guys are interested, here are the HD part #s on the grips and the skull end caps:
56459-01 = Grips
56658-00 = Skull end caps

I think they look bad-ass!!

Note: I tried to save the left(dead) grip, but wound up tearing it up anyway so I just cut it off w/a razorblade...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Braided hoses

I placed the braided hoses on myself and found that the job was pretty easy if you follow the instructions carefully. You pretty much have to take off the air filter housing to get to the hoses properly. Also, follow the directions on cutting the hose in half before you attempt to wrestle them off. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I changed out the hose myself, and it was a pain (literally, still have the cuts from the braided cover to prove it). However, I'm nowhere near the point of considering myself a wrench. As a matter of fact, two of the 6 bolts that hold down the velocity stacks were frozen when I tried to remove the airbox. When I finally got them out, they had little metal filings on them. Now, they just spin in place. I don't trust my mechanical know-how to put in a couple Time-Serts (plus, I don't know where to pick them up locally) , so I'm gonna have to take it in to the shop. I contacted my dealer to see if it was covered under warranty (since it happened while trying to remove the bolts, not from overtightening them while putting them in), but Harley won't pay for repair work if you're wrenching on your own bike...

Also, I swapped out the grips as well. Put the new HD Flame grips on -- very cool. While I was at it, I put the chrome switch housings on the rod also. Neither of those items were too difficult. One of the cool things about the flame grips is that they don't require glue on the left side - they have a flange that fits snug into the switch housings. My only gripe about the new grips is that the right grip rattles a little when I take my hand off at traffic lights because it's a little larger than the handle bar diameter. But, that problem will go away once I get louder pipes!!

-Mike

·
Registered
450 Posts
I did my own in early January too.

It was interesting BUT the shop manual is the key as has been noted!!

I would assume that those who had leak, cracked filler neck and overflow hose problems --mostly as a result of a dealer installs== experienced them because the mechanic hadn't read the disassembly instructions carefully. One of the KEY things is the air bleeder screw to allow you to correctly position and align everything back on the bike after you are done.

Also adding fluid can easily be accomplished by pouring it inot the fill bottle and then taking a short ride to let things warm up and flow thru the cooling system. Then check tfro correct level after that and top it off ( kinda like replacing a thermostat on a car).

Regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts