V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a previous post, I was replacing a stainless braided clutch cable w/ new, and noted the inner steel cable to be much stiffer(non flexable) than the cable I'm removing. After install; I've noticed a harder pull than I prevously had w/ old.The old cable had a number of small braids twisted together to make the one, and was an easy pull.The new cable is HD's,and is of one large solid type braid, the old was an aftermarket unit. If this is HD's newer/better, I'm trashing it, and looking aftermarket. I see no reason for needing an easy clutch or equal,if the old sufficed. All i can do is find the manufacturer of the old cable and match, or keep cable and do an easy clutch. What to do?
Howie...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Braided clutch cable hard pull

Yep; I used a silicone base spray lube till it comes out the other end, but trickles out quickley. I believe it does some good. My wifes Low Rider has same cable, but w/ an WB Easy clutch, and is much better. I think Russell made my old line which was so much easier to pull. I may have to pick up an Easy Clutch esp, since release cover is exposed. What cable lube do you use?

Thanks; Howie...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Could the cable be pinched, kinked, or bound up somewhere along its route? You may try moving the wheel from L to R while working the clutch. Just a thought.

·
"REAPER"
26 Posts
You know, I have had the same trouble. I had the stealer put the 2" pull back bars on my EG in July. They said I needed new throttle, Brake and clutch lines. The braided stainless clutch cable is waaaay stiffer than stock. I have tried a few different lubricants with no real difference. It looks to be routed correctly. I'm just living with it. Forearm is bigger now:).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard Clutch Pull

i think i've found the cable I was intended to purchase. It's made by Motion Pro, sold by drag Spec. It's wound differenty to be very flexable. Dennis Kirk and J+M dont carry correct length. This cable makes the difference.
Howie...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts