V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering changing out my stock cables for stainless steel or the new HD Diamond Back braided cables. Not much price difference, $45, but was wondering if anyone had an opinion of one versus the other.
Thanks, Steve.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Steve,
Go to www.magnumshielding.com

I put a set of throttle & idle cables on last year and they are beautiful. You can't even see the clear coating and they operate smooth as silk. Magnum also makes brake, lube , and fuel lines and all other items where you may want braid. I ordered them through the HD dealer. They are pricier than the ones you speak about but I believe the quality is worth the extra $$$. They make a huge difference in appearance.

Semper Fi,
Steve.....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
When I changed out my bars on my 05 Deuce, I also swapped to the braided cables. Not only do they give the bike a much better look, the clutch operates easier and the brakes seems to bite better. The HD ones are pricey, but what isn't. I just need to find the braided spark plug wires to complete the look, but nobody here knows of them. I know they're difficult to find for the EFI bikes. Get the braided, you won't regret it. HD says their clearing covering on the braided cables will not yellow, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I put the braided brake line on my FXDX and loved them , my FXDWG3 has all braided lines , if it didn't I'd put them on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The diamondbacks are much "brighter" than the stainless steel cables and look better in my opinion. I've replaced all of my cables (throttle, idle, front brake, rear brake) with the diamondbacks. My clutch cable is backordered so that still the only cable that is stock.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:duh?: :laugh:

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gooms, the company Steveusmc mentions, Magnumshielding.com , has the braided spark plug wires, in colors also. They look to be a quality product.
Steve.

·
Registered
181 Posts
steveusmc said:
Steve,
Go to www.magnumshielding.com

I put a set of throttle & idle cables on last year and they are beautiful. You can't even see the clear coating and they operate smooth as silk. Magnum also makes brake, lube , and fuel lines and all other items where you may want braid. I ordered them through the HD dealer. They are pricier than the ones you speak about but I believe the quality is worth the extra $$$. They make a huge difference in appearance.

Semper Fi,
Steve.....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
I just went to their site to see if they have any ignition wires for my 06 Super Glide Custom and it looks like they don't make them...too bad because I would buy a set in a heartbeat.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I emailed Magnum, and eventhough their application lists doesn't show up to 2005, they gave me a part # for my 05 Softail. They just haven't updated their website. I'll be ordering the chromite braided ignition cables from either Drag Spec. or HD dealer. This should compliment the other braided lines I have already installed. $48 for these is a bit hard to swallow though.
Bikes are like women, dump a lot of money into them, but they are nice to ride.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I only run the Magnum cables myself. Excellent product. I have gone through three sets of spark plug wires though, after time each one gets a crack in the insulation from the way they bend and I start getting shocked on the leg. I guess it's the price I pay for cool wires. But Magnum is good about replacing them for me each time, maybe they will get it right someday. The Diamondback cables are just as nice but they don't have any options if you've changed handlebars or anything so I'll stick with the Magnum.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Well, if they have a tendency to crack, forget it. It's not worth the cost. I myself would have called it quits after the second set, eventhough they replaced them.
Thanks for the input though.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
i've got the sterling chromite II frnt brake line, the throttle cables and clutch. thay look awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts