V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2004 Bourget bike with 7,700 miles on it from eBay it has an S&S 113 ci. It was from Texas I’m from Ohio . So to far away too look at it , bought sight unseen . It stats good but the vibration is severe . I rode it 30 miles at 45 to 50 mph it vibrates so bad that it broke a mirror stem off. No odd noises from engine no smoking , at an idle with kickstand down sitting on concrete driveway it will move a foot within a couple of minutes just Idlleing . This bike can’t be ridden in this condition . I took it to Harley shop they checked motor mount bolts & tranny bolts all were tight . Does anyone know what this vibration could possibly be from .

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
With all those tubes they used to make their frames, I would be looking for some cracks, or maybe broken welds. Or some well-hidden crash damage.
Also, they were in love with fat tires. Have you looked there? And checked all your driveline and powertrain alignments?
If you think it's in the motor, you could contact S&S with the motor number and maybe they give you some history about it. You might be able to describe something to them that they recognize.

Kind of a drastic step, but you could always pull the motor and run it in another bike. Evos are pretty easy to do that. That would confirm or deny that it is a motor problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a 2004 Bourget bike with 7,700 miles on it from eBay it has an S&S 113 ci. It was from Texas I’m from Ohio . So to far away too look at it , bought sight unseen . It stats good but the vibration is severe . I rode it 30 miles at 45 to 50 mph it vibrates so bad that it broke a mirror stem off. No odd noises from engine no smoking , at an idle with kickstand down sitting on concrete driveway it will move a foot within a couple of minutes just Idlleing . This bike can’t be ridden in this condition . I took it to Harley shop they checked motor mount bolts & tranny bolts all were tight . Does anyone know what this vibration could possibly be from .
I'm wondering what you are used to riding?
Is this engine bolted directly to the frame?

With the advent of rubber mounted and counter balanced Harleys many riders are not familiar with the feeling of an EVO engine in a softail frame.
Just trying to tack down a reference point.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Ebay... Did the seller allude to anything in the description or was it just "excellent mechanical condition"? If the bike was "misrepresented" {check the guide for seller's section} report the sale to Ebay. People can get real loose in the descriptions of their toys... to the point of fraud. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
First,, thesbikeswere not meant to ride,, yeah short distance barhopping 5o show it off...

I'm guessing you were in 4th or 5th gear? yes?

Some came from bourget,, severely under cammed... the 113 was designed for the 600 cam,,, I found 520 and similar cams in several..
Vibration is 1 issue,,, do a compression test, if is over 180-190,, and closer to 230+,,, pull the cam,, it is probably the wrong grind for a 10.2 113..

The right grind will go a long way to straightening out vibrations and rideability issues..

Dont chug around in 4th gear at 40,, then try to accelerate without dropping a couple gears.. the S&S 113, is safe to 6500rpm and will pull past that,,, set the rev limiter for 6500..

These are mostly solid mounded drivelines,,, like evo softails,, and also hardtail type frames... they will vibrate,,, I had mirrors turn signals and foot pegs all try to bail, at once, on these bikes.. when I was verifying the owners complaints...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Evos don't normally break mirrors. I had an 85 FXSB that didn't shake as much as my current Dyna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello & thx to all of you that replied to my question yesterday “ Bourget Bike Vibration “ . I appreciated your opinions ! I’ve got another question . On the underside of the frame right below the transmission & ending before the rear wheel is a nylon trap like a heavy dog collar is made of . It’s about an inch wide or so & about one eight inch thick . This piece of nylon is connected to the frame at both ends , this nylon strap is probably 10 inches long . It looks like it was put on when Bourget built the bike . This bike is a 2004 Low Blow . Does anyone know what this strap is for & could that be the cause of the severe vibration ?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hey, I just searched for 2004 Low Blow and got 2 bikes and hundreds of videos of women wrestlers. What's with those women wrestlers and low blows?

Even though that is not a very prominent part of the bike, I did see what looks like a metal strap or maybe a crossmember in just that spot on one of the bikes. There were a lot more bikes, but I got tired of looking. Why there would be a nylon strap there is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Make sure both spark plugs and wire are sparking. That would be the easy one. The other possibility might be the split crank moved a little upsetting timing and balance of crank thus causing the surging forward. Check that for sure. Even though it might not sound bad now, running misalignment for any length of time could cause premature wear on crank, piston, and cylinders. Split cranks have shifted on quite a few bikes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Is the primary drive too tight?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts