V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be the first to say that I never, did I say NEVER, rely on HD's fuel gauges. I know how far a tank will go and watch the mileage. BUT having said that the needle in my gas gauge on my Ultra, for some reason, this past week has started bouncing all over the place. If I'd taken off the seat or pulled the fairing recently I'd say I've got a wire shorting out. Now that's not to say one hasn't rubbed thru and is shorting out now. But was wondering if anybody has experienced this and has a clue to where to start looking. I've looked at the manual/wiring schem and "I don't do electrical"...

Like I said I don't rely on it but bugs the crap out of me...can't keep my eyes off that damn thing now.

Reminds me of my '62 Corvette..you use the turn signals the gas gauge keeps time with the flashing or step on the brake the needle bottoms out. LoL!!!

o~\o

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, I too had this same experience. Fuel gauge shaking all over the place. I had to buy a new fuel gauge to go in the fairing. To make sure that was the problem, I removed the fuel gauge and put it in my buddies bike. It did the same thing. Bought a new one and put it in and haven't had any more problems. That was over 20,000 miles ago. I hope this helps.

Deac

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deac said:
Yes, I too had this same experience. Fuel gauge shaking all over the place.......
Deac,

The physical gauge housing and such are not shaking. It's just the needle it's self, bouncing from full to about 1/2 tank, then way past full.

o~\o

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it were my bike I would start with the simple and free steps in the process of elimination. This would entail removing the seat and possibly the front farring cap and checking all the connections. Take them appart and look for corrosion and then apply dielectric grease. This might fix your problem and if not you have eliminated some of the possibilities.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Texan,

I know 2 guys who had that same problem. Only fix was to replace the gauge. The one on my 99 FLHT is starting to register funny so I guess it'll go next.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed Y said:
Texan, I know 2 guys who had that same problem. Only fix was to replace the gauge. The one on my 99 FLHT is starting to register funny so I guess it'll go next.
Got the same advise earlier and also from a supposedly electrical expert on another board. He talked a good story, diodes and such...and he didn't say anything about "staying at a Holiday Inn Express" last night. LoL!!

So it's off to the dealership Saturday mor'n...still have 3 weeks on my extended warranty so I'd better use it now.

Thanks,
o~\o

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Hey ED.
Mine has been doing this for a year. And I am tired of it. You say the gage is the culprit eh?
Could a sticky float cause the problem?

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got the verdict.

It's a resistor in the sending unit that's gone bad. The bouncing needle is the true reading of the gas sloching around in the gas tank. The resistor slows down the readings to something manageable. Guess they had a problem with these resistors going bad and you have to replace the whole sending unit. DUH!!!

My extended warranty is going to cover it but wrench told me it's an hour labor and $94.00 for the part. $200.00 give or take a nickel!

o~\o

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
99igor said:
Hey ED.
Mine has been doing this for a year. And I am tired of it. You say the gage is the culprit eh?
Could a sticky float cause the problem?
Rick,

I assume you saw the post below yours that Texan put up. That's a new one on me but sounds reasonable. I'd guess that a sticky float would cause that kind of problem but I'd also think the only thing that would cause a sticky float would be if it's rubbing on something in the tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Forgot to tell you earlier, I first thought it was my sending unit so I replaced it first. Still shook like crazy. Then replaced the gauge and no more problems. I would be very surprised if this is not your situation too. Let us know if that fixes your shaking needle. Dealer could be wrong. They always want to fix the most expensive items first. Kind of a process of elimination. I think the gauge is only about $25.

Deac

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deac said:
Forgot to tell you earlier, I first thought it was my sending unit so I replaced it first. Still shook like crazy. Then replaced the gauge and no more problems. I would be very surprised if this is not your situation too. Let us know if that fixes your shaking needle. Dealer could be wrong. They always want to fix the most expensive items first. Kind of a process of elimination. I think the gauge is only about $25.....Deac
Very good point Deac. I'm taking my bike in Monday to have the work done. I know the wrench that's going to be doing the work...will be interesting to see what the problem was.

Will post results of the surgery.

o~\o

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I picked up an new fuel gage yesterday and today it will go in. The price of $25.00 was falts it was about $55.00:badmood: But if it fixes the problem then it is ok. I have been looking at that bounding gague for almost two years now.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't able to get my bagger over to the dealership because of business travel so I'm still up in the air with mine. Be interested to hear 99igor if the new gauge fixes your problem. The deductible on my extended warranty is $50.00 so if I could pickup a fuel gauge for $25....what a deal.

o~\o

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Patient is off the operating table. Prognoses: Sending unit. Mechanic that did the work told me that it's about a 35-1 sending units over gauges.

o~\o

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I can't say I am the fastest mechanic but I finally did take the outer fairing off and replace the fuel gage. The bouncing is gone!!!! The gage cost about $55.00 or maybe more, but it did the trick. I also noticed that it reacts slower than my original gage did. My old one just popped right up to the fuel level this one kind of approaches it slowly. Good to know that a talk forum that convinced me to buy this thing was correct!
Thanks guys.{salute(

Now I just need to fix that rear pipe exhaust gasket.:crying:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did it backwards - then searched and found this thread -- so I have a new sending unit, that has been dipped in the tank, if anyone needs it - or wants to trade because they bought a gauge and that didn't fix their problem! -- I hate the bounce as well!
email me at [email protected] if someone wants the tank sending unit -- I paid $136 for it last week.
Thanks,
2Kewl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts