V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm new here :265:

So I found out about my Harley Shop having a community garage sale right before it was over so I hopped on my scoot and rode over to hoping to maybe find something for my bike. As soon as I pull up i see a frame and a bunch of misc parts sitting in the back of a pick up and I immediately ask the guy standing next to the truck questions. He points me over to the guy who owned the bike. The guy is talking to a couple workers about it and they are trying to haggle him down, I chime in saying i'm interested as well. Come to find out the other people were trying to buy their buddies bike(frame) that had passed away.

So I walk away and the guy told me that he said he would give them till Friday to buy the bike i was completely OK with this because it was their friends bike before he passed. I wanted them to get first dibs if they could get it from him. Gave the guy my phone number and rode home. Soon after i get home i get a call from the guy telling me that he'll drop it off at my house right now if i give him cash so i accept and he drops it off.

I have a moral dilemma with buying this bike because they other people were trying to do it for a good cause, but they were trying to split up the cost between a few people and i don't think they could actually get it and if not then he would sell it to some person that does not know the sentimental value people have to this bike.

I know this thread is useless without pics to here you guys go. Not much here but hopefully i'll be able to piece it all together.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
just my .02 but I don't think I would of bought it before those other guys had a chance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yeah, no shiit........the side covers say it all

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
That the bike in question is a FXR.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
well....there's a particular motorcycle club that is associated with red and white.....not sayin its them BUT
That was the only thing I thought the paint job on those side covers might represent but I wanted to hear other opinions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you guys would know more than me i'm used to my ironhead. anything newer than 85 is completely foreign to me. If you like i'm down for an FXR history lesson.

I'm completely unaware of what model i bought but when i decoded the VIN on Motoverse.com claimed it to be an "FXLR"

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Well you guys would know more than me i'm used to my ironhead. anything newer than 85 is completely foreign to me. If you like i'm down for an FXR history lesson.

I'm completely unaware of what model i bought but when i decoded the VIN on Motoverse.com claimed it to be an "FXLR"
I want to welcome you to this forum and to the "cult" of the fxr. The longer they are out of production, the more revered they are becoming.

That is quite a project you have in front of you. I hope you post pics of the bike as you work on it and get it back together. You are doing a service to some future biker by rescuing this fxr from the junk heap.

The fxr line of bikes is still reputed to be the best handling big Harley ever made, which is why I'll probably keep mine until I die. I don't think the handling is all that great when compared with a lot of metric bikes. If this is the best Harley has ever done, I'll stick with it. I'm also "use" to riding it. After 20 years, it has become both familiar and comforting. I am very much in tune with my bike in a zen like way. I am set in my ways. I found what works for me and I stay with it. So I'll probably stay with my 92 fxr for a long time more. So this is the way I see it, at least for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is the best place to get the missing parts I need for this bike? I spent a few hours on e-bay lookings but its all super over priced.
People want $200 for a pair of fender supports

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey guys i'm new here :265:

So I found out about my Harley Shop having a community garage sale right before it was over so I hopped on my scoot and rode over to hoping to maybe find something for my bike. As soon as I pull up i see a frame and a bunch of misc parts sitting in the back of a pick up and I immediately ask the guy standing next to the truck questions. He points me over to the guy who owned the bike. The guy is talking to a couple workers about it and they are trying to haggle him down, I chime in saying i'm interested as well. Come to find out the other people were trying to buy their buddies bike(frame) that had passed away.

So I walk away and the guy told me that he said he would give them till Friday to buy the bike i was completely OK with this because it was their friends bike before he passed. I wanted them to get first dibs if they could get it from him. Gave the guy my phone number and rode home. Soon after i get home i get a call from the guy telling me that he'll drop it off at my house right now if i give him cash so i accept and he drops it off.

I have a moral dilemma with buying this bike because they other people were trying to do it for a good cause, but they were trying to split up the cost between a few people and i don't think they could actually get it and if not then he would sell it to some person that does not know the sentimental value people have to this bike.

I know this thread is useless without pics to here you guys go. Not much here but hopefully i'll be able to piece it all together.

Pigthang, the seller broke his bond not you.Enjoy building and riding
it.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Such is life when restoring an FXR. You either hunt them down or pay a premium for FXR parts. Figure out what you need and post a list. Some of the guys around here might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good idea Thermodyne, where can i get a parts book for the FXR would any of you have a link where I can buy one digitally online?
Also, this way I'll be able to keep track of my build costs and progress.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
go to VTwinmfg.com an get yerself a free catalog.. good source for alot of parts that commonly need replacement. Fender supports (front) are in there. If you mean fender struts(rear) they are in there also.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
any Indy can order from that catalog, or order online/phone. dont forget
shipping costs added on, thats why I order from the Indy, he has helped me a couple of times, including free parts(used).. nice to save a few bucks, but nice to have a local shop also.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts