V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally living a dream...got myself a 2000 FXDL and my wife and I are loving every minute of it!! But......I find that we seem to be bottoming out the rear shocks on small bumps. I go about 200 and my wife only goes about 140. What could be causing this??? Do I need to change the load on the rear shocks? Thanks!!

SAFXDL

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yep

Yeah, you probably just need to crank up the preload. The collar at the bottom of the shock can be turned with a strap wrench (or by hand if you're strong enough...I'm not). Just be sure you end up with both shocks the same number of steps up the little ramped collar you can see from underneath. I run mine 2 from the top, but that's a regular Dyna. You may need to go all the way up.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Appreciate it....Gotta love this forum.....it's great for a FNG like me!!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
SAFXDL said:
Finally living a dream...got myself a 2000 FXDL and my wife and I are loving every minute of it!! But......I find that we seem to be bottoming out the rear shocks on small bumps. I go about 200 and my wife only goes about 140. What could be causing this??? Do I need to change the load on the rear shocks? Thanks!!

SAFXDL
Welcome to the Forum.

You need to adjust the preload on the rear shocks. There may be a section in your Owner's Manual (on my '05 FXDI there is only a discussion for FXDX in the manual).

You should get the appropriate shock spanner wrench so that you can change the setting when you go back-and-forth from two-up to solo.

The "Works Performance" site has a discussion of setting the proper sag in your suspension. While the specific discussion is for their shocks, the general approach to setting up a suspension should be helpful.

http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/instructions/general_instructions.pdf

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
84FXRP said:
Welcome to the Forum.

You need to adjust the preload on the rear shocks. There may be a section in your Owner's Manual (on my '05 FXDI there is only a discussion for FXDX in the manual).

Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I didn't think the FXDL or the FXD had adjustable shocks. With my 05 FXD, my wife and I bottom out frequently on the darn roads up here. I'm looking to just replace them with a set of heavy duty progressives , either 12" or 12 1/2" (stock on the FXD is 12 5/8"). You may want to look at heading that route (but obviously going with as different length).

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I didn't think the FXDL or the FXD had adjustable shocks. With my 05 FXD, my wife and I bottom out frequently on the darn roads up here. I'm looking to just replace them with a set of heavy duty progressives , either 12" or 12 1/2" (stock on the FXD is 12 5/8"). You may want to look at heading that route (but obviously going with as different length).
'03 and '04 FXD rear shocks are adjustable and I'd be surprised if the '05 FXDs aren't adjustable. The entire bottom chrome collar is the adjuster and it doesn't let you see the adjustment detents. I believe my '03 FXD has four or five possible preload settings. The shock adjusting spanner is by far the easiest way to adjust the preload on these.

T113

·
Registered
454 Posts
adjustable

I have an 05 FXD Custom. Preload on the shocks is adjustable and will solve your problem. You can't see the adjustments without putting your head on the ground, but the bottom part of the shocks is designed to be turned to increase preload on the spring and thus ride height.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OrangeTJ said:
I have an 05 FXD Custom. Preload on the shocks is adjustable and will solve your problem. You can't see the adjustments without putting your head on the ground, but the bottom part of the shocks is designed to be turned to increase preload on the spring and thus ride height.
Had a bud of mine come by and we were looking and it doesn't appear that the shocks on my 2000 FXDL are adjustable....my owner's manual only indicates changing the preload settings on the 2000 FXDX. Back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
SAFXDL said:
.... it doesn't appear that the shocks on my 2000 FXDL are adjustable.....my owner's manual only indicates changing the preload settings on the 2000 FXDX. .....
Preload is what you are adjusting.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep.....but it doesn't appear adjustable on my FXDL.

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
this may be a no-brainer but check the tire pressure .. you would be surprised

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Had the same problem of bottoming out with my 05 FXDI. The shocks ARE adjustable for preload. Mine were set on full "soft" from the factory. I was able to grab the lower chrome collar and twist to adjust...looking down at the collar twist clockwise. I adjusted it up two ckicks to the third ramp...works fine now. Use a small mirror and look up underneath the lower collar, you'll see the ramps I'm talking about. The FXDL has the adjustable preload too, if they're the stock shocks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
shocks

Is there a band of holes around the bottom of your shocks, on the chrome part? If so, those are for a spanner wrench and your shocks are adjustable.

My owners manual doesn't say anything about adjusting the shocks on my 05 FXDCI, but they're adjustable nonetheless. The Low Rider may be a different story, though.

·
Banned
169 Posts
They are indeed adjustable and you don't need a cheesy, poor fitting wrench to adjust the pre-load. Those rubber band strap type wrenches work slick, and without any chance of buggering up the drive holes in the lower collar.

At a lightweight 158lbs I find one cam position up from full soft is just about perfect for my riding style, and two clicks up for carrying a passenger.

Looking at the 05 P&A book, the 05 Low Rider shock is shown with adjustment holes in the lower collar.

There is a shorter "profile shock" offered without the holes, but it clearly states a 5 position spring pre-load adjustment for the shock. I can't see how it would be done though from just looking at the picture

·
Registered
454 Posts
KKRider said:
They are indeed adjustable and you don't need a cheesy, poor fitting wrench to adjust the pre-load. Those rubber band strap type wrenches work slick, and without any chance of buggering up the drive holes in the lower collar.
Strap wrench is what I use - works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Well, damn...I may not need that set of progressives afterall. I'll have to check out the preload setting on my bike. Perhaps the the $275 can go towards something else...any suggestions :brows:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
Perhaps the the $275 can go towards something else...any suggestions :brows:
Suggestion: buy the Progressives anyway through jirehcycles.com and save about $100 off your $275 price. I just put a set of standard 412s on my WG and they're really nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 205 and the OL is 130 and we still bottom out on my FXDL with max preload adjustment. I've got some progressive 412's with heavy duty springs on order. Hope that does the trick.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok...got a strap wrench...now...which way do I turn it? Be kind....I am an FNG!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts