V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decide to winterize the bike tonight, and for whatever reason, thought it was a good idea to fog the cylinders. I take out the plug on the rear cylinder, grab the can of lubricant, hit the nozzle...and the damn straw shot right off the nozzle and right into my cylinder!!!

I've tried to fish around with some hemostats and see if I could could grab it, but it looks to me like the rear cylinder head needs to get pulled?

Any idea of what this is going to cost?

I am so embarrassed right now...

P.S. How involved is the head removal? I have the shop manual and it doesn't look too bad on paper, but if I can't even squirt some oil into a cylinder without incident, I probably have no business trying to pull a head off! :yikes:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Get some double-sided sticky tape and put it around a pencil, then try to grab the straw with it. There has to be a way to get it out of there.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
maxwellpolish said:
So I decide to winterize the bike tonight, and for whatever reason, thought it was a good idea to fog the cylinders. I take out the plug on the rear cylinder, grab the can of lubricant, hit the nozzle...and the damn straw shot right off the nozzle and right into my cylinder!!!

I've tried to fish around with some hemostats and see if I could could grab it, but it sounds to me like the motor and the rear cylinder head need to get pulled?

Any idea of what this is going to cost me?

I have to believe that you can get it back out the spark plug hole. Did you try to slowly rotate the motor over to use the piston to lift it up higher in the cylinder? Then I would use a piece of aluminum welding wire and put a hook in the end and try to work it until you can see the straw.

I would try that for a while before desiding the head has to come off.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I'd try a Shop-Vac, that straw can't weigh too much.
Could also try bumping the motor over with the starter to get the piston at TDC - less space to search in. :)

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Since you are putting it away for the Winter I would just walk away from it for a day or two (you are probably very frustrated right now). I second the thought of using double sided tape and a wire (instead of a pencil), just get a good quality tape not the "scotch tape" type. Fish around for an hour at a time and shine a flashlight down the hole to see if you caught it. If you manage to get it, use a hemostat and grab it. My guess is you will get it and drop it several times before you successfully remove it. I don't think you want to raise the piston too much or you may jam the straw in place and the tape may not grab it good enough to move it. Patience, Patience, Patience...

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
winterizing...

I was about to do the same to the Dyna, something to watch out for....:roflback:

If you don't get it out, don't sweat it. Its a plastic straw and may survive for about 3 seconds, maybe, after you fire it up.:chopper:

·
Banned
48 Posts
maxwellpolish said:

I've tried to fish around with some hemostats and see if I could could grab it, but it sounds to me like the motor and the rear cylinder head need to get pulled?

Any idea of what this is going to cost me?

An experienced tech will be able to remove it w/o engine teardown for you. I've fished out stuff like that that people have managed to get in there. Remember, it's only thin hollow plastic. Motor clearances are checked with solder. The possibility even exists that if they have trouble getting it they might roll the motor over then back a bit by hand and then look for it on top of the piston. This isn't the end of the world, don't let someone take advantage of you here.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice so far :bowdwn: . That, along with a couple of beers has allowed me to cool off a bit.

Thanks again for responding!

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Max -

FWIW - this isn't the first time I've heard of someone doing this. One of the above methods + patience usually does it.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE...I may be out of the woods...

So I took all of your advice and decided to turn the motor slowly and fish around the cylinder with a bent piece of coat hanger, and low and behold...I came out with a piece of straw :woohoo:

The only problem now is that the straw is a little shorter than I remember it...at least I think it is? I didn't really pay close enough attention before it went into the cylinder, it only seems shorter. I compared the straw with others from other spray cans, and the piece I have is about an inch shorter.

Both ends appear to have a small crimp, but both ends also have clean, straight ends-not jagged.

The question now is, do I have the entire piece of straw, or is there a small, one inch piece wedged in my valve train or piston rings? I would think a piece that small would either blow out the exhaust port, or, if it slipped past the rings, end up in my oil filter?

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Get a straw from a big gulp.

Put a dab of clean grease on it.

Stick it in the combustion chamber thru the spark plug hole.

Remove the other spark plug.

Rotate the engine to slowly bring the piston toward tdc.

Retrieve the straw to the fogging fluid, it should stick to the grease.

·
3,465 Posts
If a section of the wd-40 tube is in the combustion chamber it can not end up in your oil. It will either burn up or go out the exhaust port.

A coat hanger in a combustion chamber is not a good idea. You should fish with something that is softer than the aluminum piston and will not scratch or damage anything.

I once used a long large ty-wrap with a dab of multipurpose grease to fish foreign object from a combustion chamber with success.

Make sure not to compound the problem by getting new stuff stuck or worse. Plastic is soft.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bent the end of the coat hanger into a tight U-shape, and to be honest, only fished around for maybe 10-20 attempts. I was trying to be as careful as possible not to hit the cylinder sleeve or piston too hard. I have a small snake light that I could look inside the combustion chamber with, and I didn't see any scratches on the cylinder sleeve...only a couple of light scratches from where I scraped some carbon off the top of the piston.

I do agree with you though Popeye...should have at the least, used a piece of aluminum wire.

·
3,465 Posts
the grease is the ticket to pick up stuff. and if it stays behind no damage

·
3,465 Posts
If you have found the piece, compare it to a new can's straw. see if the lenghts atre the same.

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
Turn the bike upside down and shake like hell! Eventually it'll fall out! lol
Sorry, I couldn't help myself....

Wes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
maxwellpolish said:

I've tried to fish around with some hemostats and see if I could could grab it, but it looks to me like the rear cylinder head needs to get pulled?

Any idea of what this is going to cost?

P.S. How involved is the head removal? I have the shop manual and it doesn't look too bad on paper, but if I can't even squirt some oil into a cylinder without incident, I probably have no business trying to pull a head off! :yikes:

Max, Here I thought I was the only one that could do something like that. Welcome to the neighborhood. :) Whenever I work on anything, every little wierd oddball thing that can happen ususally does. Glad you were able to get it out. Better luck next time with Murphy. (hopefully)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts