V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been doing some research and think i am more confused now. I have installed the hog tunes speakers on my '06 Ultra and still looking for a little more without going overboard on the price. The bike came with the Harley Amp, so I didn't feel it was needed to upgrade/replace an amp that is already there (correct me if I am wrong).

So I was looking at having the bass ports installed (probably could do it myself, but get a little concerned when cutting into something :)), but reading around on the forum and on the internets, that a flash is needed to be done on the stereo to have the low ends sent out as from the factory they clip this out... WTF?

Also, they stated that there is a bug with the A model amps that when this flash is done that it cuts out the rear speakers and is fixed in the B model... I would also assume if thats the case, the customer gets to eat this cost for a replacement.

So i guess a few things
- Anyone use the ports, whats your thoughts, is it worth it?
- What about this supposed flash that needs to be done?
- Anyone dealt with this bug or know about it?
TIA

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
06 Ultra - unless someone added an amp the only amp you have is what is contained in the factory head unit, which is maybe 15W per channel. You added better speakers but you don't have anything to push them. In other words, you need an amp if you want more/better volume/sound.

Base ports? Never seen any ports except those coming out of a subwoofer. Never heard of flashing a stereo either.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
06 Ultra - unless someone added an amp the only amp you have is what is contained in the factory head unit, which is maybe 15W per channel. You added better speakers but you don't have anything to push them. In other words, you need an amp if you want more/better volume/sound.

Base ports? Never seen any ports except those coming out of a subwoofer. Never heard of flashing a stereo either.
Bass Ports are a HD P&A accessory, I haven't heard of a need for a reflash for them though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes the amp was added to the bike, it's sitting under the tour pak. The guy that owned it prior to me had it installed, but left the stock speakers in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bass Ports are a HD P&A accessory, I haven't heard of a need for a reflash for them though.
The instructions on them at the end state that it is needed, doesn't give the reason for the flash, but it is needed if you have the amp.

Doing research online, i found out what the flash was for and the potential bug on the amp that i currently have installed.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Carl. I have looked on Ironcrosses website for info as well and it looks like they just deal with the head unit and I don't feel comfortable calling them for info as they wouldn't be getting any money off of me.

So if that is the case about the amp, is there any info out there on the specs for this amp and what the crossover is set to for it?

I feel that the hog tunes speakers i put in should have a little bit more life. They do sound better, but there wasn't really any difference in the lows compared to the stocks and suspect something in my setup is causing it to be cut out.

All the work that was done to the bike prior to my ownership was done when the guy had it delivered and I have looked over the connections and the instructions and it all appears to be connected properly, it actually looks to be a pretty straight forward plug and play setup so i dont think there is anything wrong with it other than it just wasn't designed to do what i want.

I dont want to spend the money on the bass ports if it isn't going to solve a problem that I am unaware of in design of the current setup.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Have you identified if you have the -06A or -06B amp?

HD doesn't post specs for the amp or head unit other than watts.

I'm in the midst of an audio project that includes adding tour pak speaker pods (aftermarket) w/ 6.5" Polk DXi speakers and I'm using the Bass port kit with a Rockford Fosgate amp. A buddy is doing a similar install (different speakers) and he said the sound from the tour pak speakers w/ the bass ports installed was "amazing." He also stuffed the pods with Polyfil.

Carl

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have the A and Harley states that the ports aren't compatible. Suspect it's because you can't program it for the deeper lows.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I installed the Bass Ports along with the Boom Speakers ( front and rear ) on my 2009 FLHTCU ... there was a definite improvement in sound quality however I can't say for certain that any/some/all of the improvement was attributable to the Bass Ports ... as far as the installation of the Bass Ports, it was no big deal ... the instructions included templates that fit well ... you will need a good hole saw to cut the big hole after drilling the starter hole with a small bit. Others before me are correct in stating that the amp with the part number endingin "A" is NOT reprogramable. Also, here is a link to the HD Harmon Hardon web site that takes you through the steps to be sure that your radio has the latest software installed. Hope this helps. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U..._Motor_Accessories/advanced-audio-system.html Good Luck Brother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts