V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunately, the download gives you 1.19.0. Here is the link: http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

If the download worked, these are the improvements:

Boom! Box 4.3

Version 1.19.1

Change Log:

New Features

- High Contrast Day Colors

Issues Fixed

-Road Tech zumo prompts inaudible

-AVC inoperable until the first time it is adjusted

-Radio does not switch between units properly

-Volume adjustment from hand controls does not function

-Presets do not recall correct station/media

-Radio remains "off" after engine crank

-Radio stuck on splash screen/accept screen

-Temperature between C & F inaccurate

-WB seek up/down broken after ignition cycle

-Radio system stays on after shutdown for an extended period

-Traffic Announcements not working

-AM/FM Reception missing strong stations on seek

-Media not playing after ignition cycle

-Performance and stability enhancements

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just copied the shortcut the download button uses on the Infotainment page and changed the software number from 1.19.0 to 19.0.1 in the address. Apparently their web geek screwed up; it's pretty easy to do if you're updating a page with hyperlinks and get distracted (which is probably what they did). I did the same thing on my previous post LOL.

I did download it late last night and extracted it to a pen drive...looked at the files and verified they are version 1.19.1. I'll try installing them later this AM and see if they are REALLY the newest update.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cute trick - I like it.

I did install it and it verified. They still did not fix the fader setting which still reverts to the center but it wasn't on their list. Also not on the list and still not fixed is an inability to speed-up a route while in simulation mode.

I transferred my download to a USB 3.0 stick and the radio had no problems reading the flash drive. (2.0 took about 20 minutes to transfer the premium radio file and 3.0 took less than 30 seconds.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just installed 1.19.1, verified the revision number...

Jeff - when you say the fader reverts to center, do you mean every time on power-up after you installed 19.1?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes but it did it on the last version as well. My wife has a slight hearing loss so I set the fader closer to the rear. Every time I startup, the fader reverts to the center (default) position. It has never remembered the last setting it had.

I don't know if everyone will experience this issue as I've heard from a number of techs that what should be identical cycles will exhibit different problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cute trick - I like it.

I did install it and it verified. They still did not fix the fader setting which still reverts to the center but it wasn't on their list. Also not on the list and still not fixed is an inability to speed-up a route while in simulation mode.

I transferred my download to a USB 3.0 stick and the radio had no problems reading the flash drive. (2.0 took about 20 minutes to transfer the premium radio file and 3.0 took less than 30 seconds.)

That's strange, Jeff... I tested the 19.1 update and in both radio and USB pen drive mode just now and it remembers my fader settings. Set it to more rear speakers, turned the bike off and washed the wifes' car.

Came back 25 minutes later, fired up the bike and the fader stayed where I put it prior to power-down.

That being said, I have the 6.5 radio in my Ultra... what do you have in your TriGlide, the 4.3 radio? If so, there could be the difference...

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I have the 6.5. The dealer thought a hard reset might help but again, they've seen many cycles where one exhibits a problem and another doesn't.

I have the Boom Audio upgrade kit and that could be a factor but I've seen other weird issues as well. For example, I posted a photo of the Trip Summary screen where my average speed was 1119 mph. That's rather upsetting that the programmers would allow a 4 digit display. It may taken HK several years to get all the bugs worked out.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I wanted to add an additional issue I've had. While driving under normal conditions, I can see the display automatically adjusting to different lighting (cloudy, bright, etc.). It's under the extreme conditions of going underground that I've experienced this issue. While going through 3 Appalachian tunnels, the screen would eventually go black and not recover for at least an hour after turning the cycle off.

After the 1st tunnel, the screen would recover. After going through the 2nd tunnel, I could see the road line, speed data field and routing field. Everything else was black. When I cleared the 3rd tunnel, the screen was completely black. The display setting was set to automatic. This has happened twice. I had audio so I could hear music as well as routing instructions but I had no display.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jeff:

You've struggled with this set of problems for some time it would seem...I think this is more than software in your case.

Since you appear to have documented it to a good extent I'd ask the MoCo to replace the radio while it's still under warranty. This sounds like a hardware problem.

Considering the investment you have in the TriGlide I'd open a case with MoCo tech support, provide them with a historical narrative (including the dealer visits and what they tried) and ask for a replacement radio.

I know they like to push it off on the dealer(s), but many of these radio problems exceeds the skill set of the technicians at your local dealership.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Good advise. I'm under the original warranty but have 5 years ESP. My experience with HK products is not good. My last cycle (2009) had 6 verified radio failures. All failures were verified by the dealer (on 5 of the failures, the sound would mute and 1 had an aux problem where speakers would cut out) - also blew the tranny at 40K and the engine at 55K. I did try to pursue a replacement radio but the MoCo wanted me to try a hard reset first.

My location near the MoCo headquarters has given me access to info not always available to all customers. The Infotainment unit is so complex that many users may not use the features that are troublesome (e.g. Trip Summary screen or tunnel blackouts). I also wish that there was a way to speed-up "simulate route" option. Overall, the unit functions well but it's the few nagging features that bother me. My wife says I should not fixate on it (she's right).

When I talk to other owners and see the problems they are having, my issues seem insignificant. I'm afraid to do a hard reset as that may create new and greater problems. Ditto for a replacement radio.

Thread Drift: My experiences traveling on the Interstate is that many cagers give you a thumbs up or some kind of friendly recognition. When my wife and I made our first major trip, many cagers would point to the rear of the trike. We discovered that the trunk was prone to opening even though the locking mechanism was fully engaged. We spent much of the trip watching our shadow for an open trunk and my wife discovered that when she stood on the floorboards, she could see if the door was popped.

Contacting the MoCo gave me an expected "That's the first time I ever heard of that". Eventually, the trunk stopped opening. While there was never a recall, I know that this was a pain for many TriGlide owners.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I wanted to add an additional issue I've had. While driving under normal conditions, I can see the display automatically adjusting to different lighting (cloudy, bright, etc.). It's under the extreme conditions of going underground that I've experienced this issue. While going through 3 Appalachian tunnels, the screen would eventually go black and not recover for at least an hour after turning the cycle off.

After the 1st tunnel, the screen would recover. After going through the 2nd tunnel, I could see the road line, speed data field and routing field. Everything else was black. When I cleared the 3rd tunnel, the screen was completely black. The display setting was set to automatic. This has happened twice. I had audio so I could hear music as well as routing instructions but I had no display.
Same here, but it doesn't take hours, but 4-5 km.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rode several miles and it never readjusted. Then, pulled into a rest area. After waiting 5-10 minutes, restarted but no change. After pulling off at the closest exit and having a meal, restarted the cycle and everything was back to normal. That's where the hour came from. It's rare that we go through mountains. If we hadn't, I would never have known there was an issue.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I had it while driving in tunnels under rivers. The dimming goes fast, but getting brighter (or even readable) takes (far too) long.
Especially if the exit you have to take is within 4 km of the tunnel exit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
After (finally) extensively testing software 1.19.1 I have decided it's NOT an improvement; in fact it caused more problems than it solves. Continually starting up on WX band, power up-power down anomalies and a host of other little 'undocumented features' is an epic fail on Harley-Davidson's part.

I will be reverting to software 1.19.0 today and can't wait for the next attempt by the MoCo to finally get the problems fixed (sarcasm intended).

This makes me want to go shopping for a BMW K1600GTL to replace this 2014 Ultra Limited... 150 pounds lighter, 65 hp more, 1 more gallon of gas, an adaptive headlight system that actually works while turning and a NAV/COM/audio system that really works with Bluetooth headsets...

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also went back to 1.19.0. We just returned from an extensive week-long ride. The flash drives I used worked perfectly for most of the ride. Then, I started seeing that the unit was constantly reading the flash drives but never reached a point where the contents were cataloged (e.g. you could search for a song or artist). Final failure occurred when the unit said "no compatible media found". The message was wrong as the drives contained only mp3 format music, had been working and are still good. I can only attribute the failure to 1.19.1.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree,Jeff...One of the other bugs I experienced this last weekend was the "compatible media "error as you discovered.

Here's an idea... We get some of these guys that write aftermarket software for iPhones and iPads to buy Rushmore models...then they'd be motivated to write a "jailbreak" mod for the stereo and we can divorce ourselves from the never ending problems with the Harmon-Kardon/Harley-Davidson collaboration. ?

I'm so tired of problems with the 6.5 GT infotainment system there are times I dream of a class-action suit by Rushmore owners to get the factory to buy our bikes back under the lemon law.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts