V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished writing a quick note to my brother. After proof-reading I figured you guys might enjoy it.

Working on an Air Force Base, I'm usually not concerned with locking my bike or anything. Today I didn't even bother shutting the ignition off.

Me on the phone to AAA...

"What do you mean I have to meet you at the visitor's center? If I could
meet you at the visitor's center I wouldn't need your fu<king help!"

Plan B:
I don't know if you ever tried to push start a bike this size, but it
sucks. I've never push started something with so much weight or torgue. I was worried that by the time it fired it would run off without me, or worse, grind my face into asphalt cookies. But hey, I'm good. After pushing it about 1/4 mile to find a slope (pretty tough around there), I was able to get it going. I even remembered to turn the ignition on before the second attempt.

Please, don't ask why I wasn't able to get it going on flat ground. Ever
tried to push your bike in gear with the clutch in? It's like Re-Run from
Good Times is helping push (with his tippy-toes while sitting on the damn
bike). Besides, I was right in front of the VA clinic. There was
some old biker dude (Harley Shirt) sitting on a bench waiting for the bus
and counting his green stamps. He didn't look like he could walk, let alone help push the damn bike. I decided to refrain from asking, and he decided to refrain from offering. I like how we got along that way. The last thing I wanted was to show him how well my bike was trained and that it could run right along side me like at the dog show (back-and-forth). I figured after a couple of attempts I might comment on his current transportation and I wanted to avoid that scene all together. I'd hate to show up in the local paper with a picture of me kicking the **** out of an old man waiting for a bus, or worse, the other way around. So I walked my dog down the road.

Anyway, after getting it started I hopped on and parked it on the side of
the road. I was pretty proud of myself when I remembered to leave it
running. I needed to get off and see what the hell those things were flying around in my eyeballs. At first I thought they were angels with Jesus closely following to take me home. You can imagine I was pretty bummed to find out otherwise. That meant I had to grin and bare it (Remind me later I want to research where that phrase originates. It sounds exciting!).

When I got back on and started riding down the road, people were looking at me funny. At first I thought I just looked cool (as usual), but I later realized I was still hyperventilating and sweating profusely. They were probably trying to get a closer look to see if I was doing the Fred
Flintstone thing, or maybe they wishfully thought I might have my hand on my crank. You see some of the darndest things in traffic.

·
Registered
875 Posts
:D

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Reminds me of the time we(2 brothers and me) tried to get my youngest brother's 72 Sportster started. No electric start, just old fashioned kick. Well, both of them are bigger than me(over 6' and probably about 220 lbs. each). We took turns trying to kick it over and I kicked until I thought my leg would fall off. So we decided to push it down the road. Shouldn't be that much trouble with 2 guys pushing, one guy sitting and trying to get it going, right? ( Oh, yeah, it was summer in SC and about 98 degrees. :rolleyes: ).

So after about 6 passes, I finally said, "F*** it. You find out how much it costs to install electric start(if you can find it) and I'll pay for the sumbitch."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WideGlide... I work right down the street from you at the old hospital building (next door anyway). This experience was across base at DGMC. I keep lookin' for a WG around.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh yeah?

Well I was at the AHFK down the SHIEK from the MCNSI. I was talking to the EIDL when I realized I needed a SHKLH. Oh boy was that a DKLSK.

Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Bill! Or is it Billy? I was looking at your profile and I'd just like to welcome you! Thanks for participating! Every little bit helps. Bouncer huh? Have a wonderful day.

Birthday April 14, 1984
Motorcyle Year/Make None, yet
Biography Play guitar, go to school, want to buy a harley.
Location New Jersey
Interests Guitar, cars, motorcycles.
Occupation School/bouncer

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
sned said:
WideGlide... I work right down the street from you at the old hospital building (next door anyway). This experience was across base at DGMC. I keep lookin' for a WG around.
Are you and wide glide at Travis AFB? Ah, brings back my good old Navy memories of flying in their all the time with our Tacamo planes and hitting that bar right outside the gate to the right. Can't remember the damn name though....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts