V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Road_glider
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you lost lately? The other day I got up on the freeway about 5:00 AM on my way to work. Ran my 07 Ultra through the gears (1-5). Got a few miles down the freeway where I usually like to let her stretch her legs, pulled in the clutch and stepped down on the heel shifter to give her 6th gear. Much to my surprise the heel shifter had disappeared. Today I rode 175 miles and when I got home I was missing two of the torx head bolts on my left rear chrome fender support bracket. What is going to be next? The dealer said he checked all of these items for tightness at the 1K service. My 1988 Classic never lost a single bolt. What is next?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
locktite - the motorcyclist's friend.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
My Iron Head is practically brand new after replacing all the sh!t that's fallen off. My RK hasn't lost anything(knock on wood).

·
Flying low
812 Posts
I make it a point to go through once in a while and just check/tighten bolts. Anything I find loose gets Loctite. Found my shifter bolt loose one day, and have cranked a couple others down as well. No parts falling off yet, though.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Yesterday I was sitting in wife's car and looked over at my RG. Don't know why I focused on the exhaust but Damn glad I did. The rear bracket that attaches muffler to bag rail was GONE!! Both bolts and bracket.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I thought it was a Harley thing.
I've lost and found my toe shifter in the road, had all kinds of things loosen up from exhaust hardware to fairing parts to the license plate bracket.

Bottom line is these machines all have some degree of vibration and will loosen up over time, especially when ridden hard and long. Not to mention environment. I've ridden on roads in Massachusetts that resemble the surface of the moon.
So you should go over everything on a regular basis if for nothing else safety reasons.

Just last week I put the key in my saddle bag and heard a clank as I turned the key or touched the bag. I traced it down to the right side pipe bracket and tightened it down. Along with the left one while I was at it.

The season is almost over here in the North East, at least for me. I generally put the bike up on the lift the day after Turkey Day for winter work, repairs, and mods. I think this year I'll spend some time with a bottle of lock tight and give the fasteners a good go over.

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Wicking loctite

I ran across some wicking loctite the other day, it works real good. You put it on after assembly.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Lost a passenger footpeg once. Almost lost my footpeg this weekend. Time to do some maintenance......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nothing on my Ultra so far, but my Dyna, locktite and all loves to "toss" the left foot peg. Two so far, the last one was in moderate traffic on the freeway at 80 mph. Made me cringe on what it could (may?) have done to a car behind me.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
i usually wash mine, and look it over real good.

and i usually break out the whole box of torx/allen head bits, and give them all a good check every months, year round riding down here.

shifter peg fell off my softail, saw it fall, found on side of highway.

toe shifter was rattling to beat the band on my RK, lucky it was inside the heel shifter mount. (dealer done some work in there last month)

loctite & frequent checks.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I would always preflight an airplane before flying it. It's a good idea to preflight your motorcycle before the first ride of the day. Also, its a great idea to go around your motorcycle and put a wrench or a socket on every bolt you can every now and then. You'll learn something too. I hate to have a great riding day fubar because of being in a hurry.

Thorns

·
Registered
58 Posts
I lost the right hand foot rest on my highway bars. Its a strange feeling when you go to put your foot out and theres nothing to rest it on. LOL. Now i use loctite

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I lost my heel shifter with about 500 miles and the air cleaner all but fell off about the same time. From that point till now everything has stayed put.

·
New Guy_49 Years Ago
30 Posts
Vibration Muffler Story

Eddy G said:
IBottom line is these machines all have some degree of vibration and will loosen up over time, especially when ridden hard and long.
"Some degree of vibration??" I like that phrase. Now that's what I call politically correct. Goldwings have "Some degree of vibration." Not questioning the accuracy, just the phraseology. LOL :laugh:

I have lost a heel shifter but my best viration story relates to my SE Performance mufflers on my '07 Ultra. Vibration created a rattle in the right muffler. I removed the right and left mufflers and switched them. The left muffler sees much less exhaust and vibration then the right. The "new" left one doesn't rattle and reinstalling the muffler clamps has reduced hte amount of decel rumbling/popping. Think there may have been a small exhaust leak???

Now that's a successful R&R.

·
harleys_n_laddertrucks
1,013 Posts
I lost the 2 bolts that hold the engine mount to the engine. Noticed them gone when I was getting it ready to go in for the 10,000 mi. check up. I think the one under the oil filter (right side) was gone between the 5,000 and 7,500 mile check ups. Of coarse the dealer said they checked all the TQ settings. The dealer fixed it and couldn't find any thing else wrong with it. Keeping fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts