V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course they aren't at dealers yet, but the more I look at it the more I like it. I won't be trading my 04' Ultra for it, but would like to have one more bike. I have been looking at the BMW's really hard. I really would like to have the K1200S because I'm still a 20 year old sport bike freak at heart. But it looks like the 2007 K1200GT might be the best of both worlds. Sportbikeish, but with more of an upright position for touring endurance. I love the 157 hp and 95 ft/lbs of torque too.

Decisions-decisions.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've spent some time on the K1200S. Nice, but I don't have an autobahn nearby. The bike's a waste unless you speed (IMO). When I want to go real fast, I'm on the track. BMW's are nice but always a little "quirky".

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
@gree: Being a BMWphile {airheads} for many years, the new bikes were/are fa$t. But rice rockets are faster & cheaper...Kawi & Yamaha both have nice bikes.-2$en#e-

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
My girlfriend rides a 2003 K1200GT and she loves it. I've taken it for rides and enjoy it also but I'm not too keen on the riding position for long rides. I took a K1200R out for a spin a couple of weeks ago and had a blast! The new look of the GTs don't do anything for me. I like the old style look better but the new ones have 30+ more HP. I think the K1200s would be a better fit for me if I was going to buy one.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Fourcats said:
@gree: Being a BMWphile {airheads} for many years, the new bikes were/are fa$t. But rice rockets are faster & cheaper...Kawi & Yamaha both have nice bikes.-2$en#e-

You would be hard pressed to out perform the new K1200R. At 160+HP with on the fly electric adjustable suspension, interlocking ABS breaks, heated seat and grips. The bike is amazing. I thrashed on it for a couple of hours and was totally impressed. So have been the reviewers with it garnering a few "best of" awards

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigguy39 said:
My girlfriend rides a 2003 K1200GT and she loves it. I've taken it for rides and enjoy it also but I'm not too keen on the riding position for long rides.
What bothers you about the riding position of the K1200GT? Do you feel like your legs are up too high? What do you like about the position of the K1200S?

Thanks for your reference to the K1200R. I'm not looking to go that radical. I'd like to do some touring with a BMW. And it looks like it's possible with the K1200S and most certainly the K1200GT.

Although I agree the Japanese models are cheaper and can compete in many ways, it's just a BMW thing. I've kind of always wanted one. Just like I had always wanted a Harley.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
The K1200GT is a little aggressive riding position for me for touring. There is some pressure on your wrists unless you lean your stomach into the tank. Your back gets fatigued with a long ride. I can live with that but I am long legged (36" inseam) and my knees complain some after a awhile. I find they are folded up more than I like. I am told by some of my Beemer friends that I will adjust to it but I don't know if I want to. The "S" felt more comfortable and had more fairing which I thought was more in sync with the riding (all weather touring) I do. Although the foot and leg positions are similar. IMO if you want to do some touring on one and you are accustomed to riding HDs you should try and sit on an R1200ST OR R12OOGS. They don't have the performance of the K bikes but are more in line with the upright position you have become accustomed to. The GS is a terrific bike for some real off the beaten path riding too. It is real complimentary to an HD in the stable. A lot of the serious IBA distance riders ride GS's.

But then again you said your a sportbike kind of guy. The GT just might be the ticket for you.

Of course this is all just my opinion and you should test ride some. That is a great thing about Beemer dealers is you can drop by and test ride any of their models. They are usually very accomodating.

I understand your liking of the bikes. There is something about them. I think they have soul much like HDs

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot for your input. Looks like I'll have to wait for April or even longer to test ride the 07' K1200GT. That's what the local dealer is saying. Hopefully they will receive and get to keep a demo for a while.

·
Registered
434 Posts
timbo said:
Thanks alot for your input. Looks like I'll have to wait for April or even longer to test ride the 07' K1200GT. That's what the local dealer is saying. Hopefully they will receive and get to keep a demo for a while.

If you can wait a year, BMW customarily has great deals and low factory interest rates on previous year leftovers at the beginning of the riding season.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will also be interesting to see if they change the K1200RS in the future as well. The website is still showing the 04' model. So I'm assuming the 07' will be the same body style. As much as I like the K1200S, realistically it will be a call between the K1200GT and the K1200RS for a somewhat comfortable sport tourer. I'm 5'8" on a good day with a 30" inseam.

·
Registered
434 Posts
timbo said:
It will also be interesting to see if they change the K1200RS in the future as well. The website is still showing the 04' model. So I'm assuming the 07' will be the same body style. As much as I like the K1200S, realistically it will be a call between the K1200GT and the K1200RS for a somewhat comfortable sport tourer. I'm 5'8" on a good day with a 30" inseam.

Are you referring to the previous generation of K bikes? I think the new generation of K bikes is FAR superior to the previous generation. Weight, handling, power, ergos, and design are all superior on the new bikes.
-2$en#e-

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sprung said:
Are you referring to the previous generation of K bikes? I think the new generation of K bikes is FAR superior to the previous generation. Weight, handling, power, ergos, and design are all superior on the new bikes.
-2$en#e-
Oh I agree. I was just pointing out that the K1200RS and K1200GT on the BMW website are the 2004 models. I will most certainly only be interested in the new generation 07's. I have been able to find specs, pics and info on some BMW forums out there for the 07' K1200GT but not the K1200RS. I wonder if there will be any cosmetic difference between the two.

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
timbo said:
because I'm still a 20 year old sport bike freak at heart. But it looks like the 2007 K1200GT might be the best of both worlds. Sportbikeish, but with more of an upright position for touring endurance. I love the 157 hp and 95 ft/lbs of torque too.

Decisions-decisions.
Just as long as you're not twenty:unsure: , 'cause the K1200 GT ain't gonna be cheap!:whistle: http://email.k-bikes.com/users/randy/k1200gt.pdf

The S seems like alot better deal if you're not a hard core tourer. I test rode the K1200S and was very impressed with it's performance and comfort. It didn't seem to put any excessive pressure on my wrists because of the saddle and the way the bodywork supports you. The GT does seems like it's going to be a nice bike, but it seems like you get more (for your buck) comfort with R1200 RT.

I really wanted to like the RT but that S just was just too much fun. I'm hoping to realize my age by the end of summer and get an Ultra. I would seriously consider a beemer though. The Wing is a great bike, but too much GD plastic, plastic chrome, etc., and the Wing ain't cheap (19-22K).:duh?:

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
I went down and looked at one of the new K1200 GT bikes over lunch. A really nice looking ride. I bet that thing would be a lot of fun to tour with. The one on the floor he could actually sell was fully loaded and he was asking 20,300 for. Said if you order one because you wanted a different color, it would be August before he could get it for you. He said he had 6 more coming in that he had already sold.

After looking it over closely it looks like a very well thought out and engineered bike. It has some very interesting design points. It has a seperate oil cooler along with the radiator, which I thought was interesting.

He said the service intervals were 600 miles for initial break in, then 6k and 12k intervals. 12k being the big one.

Asked him about tire wear. Said you get about 10k on the back and about 12k on the front.

Has anyone here laid down the coin for one yet?

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
I'm sorry after riding my friends new GT this past weekend that he paided 21K plus for, you can have it.

1. Overpriced :yikes:
2. clutch feels weak
2.5 had a major recall on clutch before he could pick it up
3. windshield moves around at speed
4. thought I was riding on a Kubota tractor
4.5 feels like a dual purpose bike
5. will depreciate like a Ho
6. first 600 mile service $300
7. oil filter $22.00
8. glad I rode one, now I know what Iam not missing out on

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
dwarthog said:
I went down and looked at one of the new K1200 GT bikes over lunch. A really nice looking ride. I bet that thing would be a lot of fun to tour with. The one on the floor he could actually sell was fully loaded and he was asking 20,300 for. Said if you order one because you wanted a different color, it would be August before he could get it for you. He said he had 6 more coming in that he had already sold.

After looking it over closely it looks like a very well thought out and engineered bike. It has some very interesting design points. It has a seperate oil cooler along with the radiator, which I thought was interesting.

He said the service intervals were 600 miles for initial break in, then 6k and 12k intervals. 12k being the big one.

Asked him about tire wear. Said you get about 10k on the back and about 12k on the front.

Has anyone here laid down the coin for one yet?
Dealer in Orlando has eight of them.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Dirty Jim said:
I'm sorry after riding my friends new GT this past weekend that he paided 21K plus for, you can have it.

2. clutch feels weak
7. oil filter $22.00
It is a pricey bike no doubt they are trying to get some return back on the develoment costs, sort of like Harley when the Vrod came out. Maybe it will settle down in price somewhat when it is no longer the new bike in the lineup and sales don't meet expectations. Maybe even a bargin or two to be had at the end of the year.

What was the riding position like? I couldn't really get a feel for it just sitting on it at the dealer. Seemed like they were trying to set it up as a cross over from their sport line to their LT touring bike.

Never been on a Kubota tractor so not sure how to relate to that one :)

300 skins for the first service, did they have to replace some gold leafing that came off somewhere? :hystria:

Nothing wrong with fixing something before you get it out on the road and get stranded, I would have expected that from a good company.

I was curious about that windshield. Did you move it around to different positions and did it move around in all the different position?

Last question, I know you don't care for the bike, but just cruising down the highway at speed, what was your impression? Good road manners you could live with for long rides or was the riding position just too much of a compromise?

·
Registered
454 Posts
BMW's

I'll have to check out the new K bikes, since the dealership is relatively nearby. I have owned two R bikes and really liked them, but they are completely different from the K bikes. My buddy has an 02 K1200RS and it is a fantastic motorcycle. The thing is smooth as oiled glass, plenty comfortable for a sport touring bike, has the standard incredible brakes, has great removable hard luggage and is WAY faster than I would ever need. It really feels about the same running at 90 as it does at 50 - smooth and ready for more. His has had no problems at all, which mirrored my own experience with my R bikes.

If the new K's are even better than the outgoing model, they will be great bikes.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
dwarthog said:
It is a pricey bike no doubt they are trying to get some return back on the develoment costs, sort of like Harley when the Vrod came out. Maybe it will settle down in price somewhat when it is no longer the new bike in the lineup and sales don't meet expectations. Maybe even a bargin or two to be had at the end of the year.

What was the riding position like? I couldn't really get a feel for it just sitting on it at the dealer. Seemed like they were trying to set it up as a cross over from their sport line to their LT touring bike.

Never been on a Kubota tractor so not sure how to relate to that one :)

300 skins for the first service, did they have to replace some gold leafing that came off somewhere? :hystria:

Nothing wrong with fixing something before you get it out on the road and get stranded, I would have expected that from a good company.

I was curious about that windshield. Did you move it around to different positions and did it move around in all the different position?

Last question, I know you don't care for the bike, but just cruising down the highway at speed, what was your impression? Good road manners you could live with for long rides or was the riding position just too much of a compromise?
The riding position was great, long days would be the only reason to buy one.

The motor sounds like a small diesel tractor, reference kubota.

I put the windshield in one position for the most protection on the highway at 65 to 70 MPH, it vibrated and moved around.

It handled fairly well but lacked bottom end power, clutch felt strange and it was easy to stall.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dirty Jim said:

2. clutch feels weak
7. oil filter $22.00

Tell us how you really feel! LOL.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts