V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...with red needle :D

I had posted some info about gauge illumination and I'm just finally getting around to posting pics of a Softail speedo.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:

I had posted some info about gauge illumination and I'm just finally getting around to posting pics of a Softail speedo.
I AM SO JELOUS!!! I have been hunting down the circuit diagram so i can do this exact same mod... No luck yet... I'm seriously surprised that HD hasn't come out with a kit that will do the same thing...

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
That looks bitchin Dr.!!! Nice work.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
OK, here's a question, since I would like to go blue when my next bulb burns out.
Why does the MoCo have comdoms on the gauge bulbs in the FLHT series bikes. I see racks of different colored bulbs of what look like the right type at the dealer, and they are H-D parts, to boot. Don't understand why the stock bulbs come w/ the rubber.
Enlightenment?

Edit:

Just dug up the other thread. So on an '05 Electra glide the tach/speedo don't have bulbs like the other 4 gauges, but surface mount LEDs?
Well, crap, if so...

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:

Have you noticed any more horsepower based on the seat of the pants due to the speedo?:wootdnc:

·
Registered
255 Posts
sweet

DrHeathenScum said:

will you be able to do all the gauges on a 05 ultra classic like the one above and what is cost of that? thanks
cster888

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Doc,
Does your unit replace the stock bulb. If so will it fit the SE Racing Tach guage light. I think it's a GE 256 but I'm not sure.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
that shyt looks good doc. nice job:thumbsup:

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
That is awesome. I'm sure there are plenty of riders that would love to have that done to their speedos...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, here's the deal...

- The '99-up speedometers and tachometers all use LED lighting... think 2mm-3mm surface mount LEDs. For some odd reason the other small gauges on the baggers still use bulbs and can have the color changed by slipping on a new rubber.

- The lighting in the speedos and tachs can be changed to blue, red, green, or white.

- On the '99-'03 gauges I can make them light up all one color or have different needle and face colors.

- On the '04-up gauges, H-D changed the lighting layout inside and right now I can only make them all one color.

- I'm working on a mod for the '04-up gauges to have a separate face and needle color. I know it can be done, I just have to finish working out the details. I'll post info when I get it working.

- Single gauges (FXST, FXDWG, Road King, etc.) will be $100 for the mod and a pair (Road Glide, Ultra, etc.) will be $160 for both (special VTF price).

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I suspect you'll get plenty, my wife will die when she see's this - it will match her bike perfectly.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I'd be down for that in white. I have an '06 FXSTBI. I'll wait for you to figure out the mod to get a different color for the needle.

I'm also considering getting the HD tach/speedo combo. Do you have a mod for that? I'm pretty handy with a sodering gun, and circuit diagrams, so i could do the mod myself if given the instructions. Thanks alot...

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You're gonna get swamped!! For those of us that have done fine electrical work before, can you send us the parts and instructions? Where can I get the "rubbers" for the other gauge lights?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm interested if/when you get the needle deal worked out for 2005 Heritage Classic. It'll look biatchin with my blue led fuel guage.
Fred

1 - 20 of 40 Posts