V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On May 12th we will be departing Lorton Va and heading down Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee NC and then on to FL (Ocala) taking 4 days to get back to FL

We know where we are staying along the route

Any sugestions on the following would be great:

Driving Tips on the parkway

What to pack or not to bother packing

where to eat along the way

any otehr tips of ra parkway rookie

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do the dragon! The parkway is OK but kinda slow with RV's. Do the Dragon. Lots of oither great roads. Do the Dragon.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
I've been doing some research along the Parkway myself for a ride later this Summer. Here's a good site for a complete set of maps. I've ridden some of it in Virginia and there can be a lot of deer and I've even run up on a small black bear. The deer are not very car savvy. I've also run into swarms of caterpillars crossing the road and thick swarms or butterflies at certain times of the year. Always 10 degrees colder up there and storms can move up the hills pretty fast.

·
Made in the USA
66 Posts
Excellant Map

Check out madmaps.com. They have a nice selection of maps. Very detailed, high quality paper with reccomended stops along the route. Cool Stuff...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link on the maps.... I had seen that one a while ago but had not bookmarked it.

We have the Dragon on our itinerary.

any other tips?

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you find yourself near North Jefferson, NC near mealtime, ride up NC 16 north of Jefferson to the Shatley Springs reataurant. Home cooked food, and lots of it. An experience not to be missed.

·
Made in the USA
66 Posts
Maggie Valley, NC

I've heard of a real cool motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, NC. - Wheels of Time or something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Gary_L said:
If you find yourself near North Jefferson, NC near mealtime, ride up NC 16 north of Jefferson to the Shatley Springs reataurant. Home cooked food, and lots of it. An experience not to be missed.
That would be West Jefferson....However, I'll second Shatley Springs.

A cool place to stay in the Stations Inn Motorcyle Resort in Laurel Springs, NC. It is right off the parkway. It is about 20 or so miles from Shatley Springs. It would be a good place to stay at night and then do the breakfast at Shatley.

http://www.stationsinn.com/

For those that don't know it, Sundays it a big bike gathering day at the Stations Inn. Live music most Sundays and heavy bike traffic.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Early May should be good temps. on the Parkway. Note Skyline Drive is National Park with lots of animals and 35mph. pretty strickly enforced. Blue Ridge is more open and 45 mph fairly well enforced. Don't ride early/early morning or after dusk as the deer are heavy. Don't pass up opportunites to gas up on the parkway. Peaks of the Otter is a good stop for a decent meal. Run by the NPS and can be crowded, but shouldn't be bad in May. Bring raingear as storms can come up quick and cover is sparce. Be aware of lightening. Lots of sights alone the way, so will need to pay attention. Lots of oportunities to go over the edge . A long drop in some cases. Have a great ride.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I just got back fom that area.

I rode the dragon 5 times, 3 times south, and two times north, and while it was quite a treat for a flatliner from Indiana, state road I- 28 to 19/74, which sits just at the bottom of deals gap, was ten times better, in my opinion. These roads allow a bike like my Glide to "stretch her legs".

You need a sport bike to really enjoy the dragon, in my opinion.

Also, I-129 south to 1-143 west to I-68 north was DA BOMB!

Long story short, I wished I lived in this area, because I did not want to come home...by far, the best motorcycle roads I've ever been on.

If I did live in the area, I'd have to have three bikes...my Glide, a dirt, and a sport...you'll understand when you get there.

have fun! :)

David

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
OU812 said:
I've heard of a real cool motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, NC. - Wheels of Time or something like that.
That's correct. Wheels of Time. Well worth it. Has cars too but mostly bikes.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
utrvp said:
That's correct. Wheels of Time. Well worth it. Has cars too but mostly bikes.
Wheels Through Time is certainly well worth the visit in Maggie Valley North Carolina. Stations Inn is a biker friendly motel worth a look just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Laurel Springs NC at milepost 248.
Due to deer, do not ride the parkway at night or early dusk.
I would bypass Skyline Drive and spend your time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. More scenic and less touristy. Enjoy your trip!

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
I'll second Peaks of Otter for a good place to eat. Also Otter Creek about 25 miles north of the Peaks. Used to live in Lynchburg and went to both frequently. Make a stop at Mabry's Mill a little further south for some pancakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts